3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

code 12 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:54 AM

code 12 ??

I have the stalling blues. 90 s.e. max runs great but once in a while it stalls and dies but never in the morning. It was stalling at hiway speeds,at stops and at idle. Every time it will start back up and run great. Now after cleaning the throttle body and checking everything else it most stalls and dies at stops but not in the mornings so maybe it is heat related?? Things i have done 1) rotor, cap,plugs, o2 sensor, cleaned throttle body, eccs relay, fuel filter,air cleaner, every connection cleaned, reset ecu, battery cables, checked coil, timing, vaccum leaks. My error code is 12 which means bad MAF but my nissan mech said if it is bad it would run bad all the time. So my question is 1) can I unplug the MAF and run the car as a trouble shooting tool? 2) can I unplug my TPS, knock sensor aswell 3) Will a bad TPS give a false reading and send it to the MAF to give a bad code? Or should I replace the TPS because it seems to be the culprit because if you move the throttle it will start to sputter and monetarily jump from 800 rpms to 1200 rpms trying to find the idle of 800 but this does not happen all the time. Thanks for all your help in the forum. I greatly appreciate everyones threads and have read all of them. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:55 PM

reset your ECU again and see if the code 12 comes back, I get it like every time I clean my throttle body or do anything in the intake area. I reset it and it doesnt comeback. if it does then that could probably use some investigation...

Its false that the MAF causes it to run bad all the time tho, when my MAF was bad yeah eventually it was consistent but at first it was intermittent. but i think code 12 only comes up when the MAF is having electrical trouble.. ti can go electrically bad or mechanically bad so then again maybe hes right about that.

you cant unplug it as a trouble shooting tool really, these cars wont really run at all without MAF. you can start it up for about a second and thats bout it

I dont really know anything about TPS, just giving tips on what i do know... other things you could check out/test are ignition coil relay (just try swapping relays...not sure if VG has this or not tho), EGR valve thats sticking partially open, plug wires, fuel pressure... maybe injectors...

thats about all ive got, hopefully other ppl will chime in, good luck
Old 10-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

accually you can unplug the maf and the car will run and drive just fine it just wont rev about 2400rpms
Old 10-03-2004, 01:16 PM

oh, well when i tried that cause i heard you could do it on some other cars it just kept dying almost instantly, and any attemps to rev just made it die faster... i havent tried it since i got a new MAF tho
Old 10-03-2004, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have found a website with a wealth of information. "how to solve engine hesitation and stumble problems on the 90+" I am not sure if I found it in the stickies or web searching, but I saved it. It's informative and has pics. Check it out. http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/hesi...esitation.html
Old 10-03-2004, 07:57 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by RMAX
Thanks for all the replies. I have found a website with a wealth of information. "how to solve engine hesitation and stumble problems on the 90+" I am not sure if I found it in the stickies or web searching, but I saved it. It's informative and has pics. Check it out. http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/hesi...esitation.html
ummm... that isn't for the maxima (VG30E) it's for a 300Z (VG30DE) different animals though not without their similarities