3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

seats, heated seats stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:44 AM
blacks92seAuto

seats, heated seats stock?

was looking around at my cloth non heated seats and i noticed a plug that goes underneath both of them...but it seems connected to nothing, a dead end at the seat. Was wondering if our cars came with the option of heated seats, and all I would need to do is get a heated seat and plug it in to that plug? or is the plug for the automatic seat belt system? I plan on going to junkyards and trying to salvage some black leather seats for my max, preferably heated if they exist. any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 10-16-2004, 11:24 AM

no, its for the power seats, sorry not heated though
Old 10-16-2004, 11:29 AM
blacks92seAuto

so that means when i got looking through the bone yards for leather, i should look for power leather seats?

Old 10-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, it's for power and you can just plug in power seats if you can get a hold of some

UK maximas did get the option of heated seats, but never in the US
Old 10-16-2004, 02:17 PM
blacks92seAuto

will front or backs seats from 4th or 5th gens fit without problems?

Old 10-16-2004, 02:39 PM

whole new design you need to make new braces for the front and the rear probably wouldn't work either since they redesigned it all.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ummm welder cutting torch and a little moding here and their ummm It could be done, aint nothing like cranking up a good cutting torch.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:43 PM

Yea I was looking at the heated seat mod and the 4rth gen seats are very close the only problem is the bracket that is closest to the seat belt. (for the drivers side its the mounting on the roight rear.) It is absolutly nothing that some minor modding can't take care of. We had fit 4rth gen back seats into a 3rd gen before and they do fit although it looked little odd however unless they are a maxima person or unless you tell them no one would notice. After running the numbers ($$$$) I found that it would be cheeper to buy some 12V heated pads and install them under the seat cover.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:20 PM

UK / Euro heated seats are cloth only. You'd need the UK FSM for the wiring, switches that sit either side of the park brake lever, control module & relay.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by nismobaron
UK / Euro heated seats are cloth only. You'd need the UK FSM for the wiring, switches that sit either side of the park brake lever, control module & relay.
Hey do you have a pic of what the button looks like for the 3rd gen Euro Heated seats? And would you be able to get a part # of them? Does anyone have any suggestions (other than e-bay) to buy a 12V heated pad and how much its gonna cost. I'm thinkin about doing a heated seat project. (its startin to get Dam cold outside!)
Old 10-17-2004, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalDashMax
Hey do you have a pic of what the button looks like for the 3rd gen Euro Heated seats? And would you be able to get a part # of them? Does anyone have any suggestions (other than e-bay) to buy a 12V heated pad and how much its gonna cost. I'm thinkin about doing a heated seat project. (its startin to get Dam cold outside!)
Sorry dude, I've only seen a picture of it in a Maxima Owners Manual! Just like rear foglights, those seats & switches would be very hard to find, and not something you could get new. Unfortunately, unlike the US, the snobby British motoring press didn't like the Maxima - they hated anything Japanese - so 3rd gens in junkyards are virtually non-existent as not many Max's were sold.
I did see a few UK style 3rd gens in Dubai (plenty of US style models!), so maybe those junkyards would have what you're after...
I was in Britain earlier this year & found the rear foglights are so rare, I had to make my own!!! (and quite cleverly by chance...)
Old 10-18-2004, 11:00 AM

Heated pad installation was probably the easiest thing that I did (besides audio install). It was the second project that I did for my '97 Pathfinder, '01 Jetta, and '92 Maxima (in that order).

The '97 pathfinder was complete catzkin leather replacement with heated pads ($140 for catzkin leather from ebay 4 years ago, and $80 per seat for heated pads directly from katzkin). The entire leather installation with heated pads plus wiring took 6 hours. I installed heated pad in the driver seat of the '01 Jetta, and it took 5 hours to do ONE seat! I hate german cars... The '92 maxima took about 3 hours by myself for both front seats. But then I purhchased manual leather seat from ebay, and then took the leather off, putting them on my power cloth seats with the heaters.

Next project would be to install heated seat pad in my '01 Pathfinder's rear seats, because after the baby, my wife has to sit in the rear seat now...

If you look around, some aftermarket heat pads have switches that look like '94-03 Nissan switches. little different but the similar rectangular look. It doesn't look that bad.

As for my '92, I ran wires to the center armrest, and used dremmel to cut two holes on either side of the parking brake lever, and installed the switches there (not knowing that this was the place where Nissan UK put their switches). There's ALOT of room under there...