3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG - Lightened Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VG - Lightened Flywheel

Alright....., some people may question the 'actual' performance gains of this, but the seat of the pant numbers feel great!

I recently replaced my transmission and while I was there I had the flywheel machined for the new clutch.
I also tried something and it seems to have paid-off nicely. I had the machine shop 'lighten' the stock flywheel.

There is a 1/2" ring around outer edge of the flywheel (facing the engine). I had the machine shop remove that ring until it was almost as low as the other side (clutch side). It's not actually a lot of weight that is removed, but because it's around the outer edge of the flywheel, it drastically reduces the effective rotational mass. I can attest that the effect is noticable - the engine revs up noticably faster, roll-on acceleration seems faster and the engine runs smoother (while driving).

Some might question the safety factor - as I did. The ring gear still has plenty of 'meat' to sit on and the overall flywheel thickness has not been altered at all. There also seems to be no balancing issues due to the fact that equal amounts of material were removed from the ENTIRE circumference of the flywheel.

The only draw-backs I've noticed (and anticipated) are:
1) Idle has suffered a bit (but that might just be my engine - never really idled well to begin with)
2) Smooth clutch engagement from a dead stop is something you seem to actually need to conciously try to do - everytime. That could just be a new clutch tho? (only had this in for a week now)

I never actually weighed the flywheel b4 and after (wish I had), but I would guess the stock one weighs in at about 23 pounds. The 'lightened' version would be about 21 or 21.5 pounds. Sounds minimal, I know......., but like I said above - it's all outer rotational mass - that's the key.

Here are some pics: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/376954/9
Old 11-25-2004, 09:04 PM

My first comment would have to be about your transmission.... that looks beautiful! Did you polish it yourself?

The flywheel also looks good, I don't see how taking off that ring would affect safety. You are right though, taking off from a stop is harder, I've had my share of embarassing stalls.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:02 PM

Old 11-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Way out West

You should have just bought a Fidanza. What do they weigh again, MrGone? I think it's like 9 lbs.

I really like mine. The only thing I don't like is it is tough to perfect launches. It either bogs or I spin the tires pretty good.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:37 PM

yeah 9lbs or 9.5 I forget.

Bah, launches are easy hehehehehe (edit: waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)
Old 11-26-2004, 01:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Been there, done that. I had my stock VE unit lightened a few years ago. The most they could take off was 3lbs. Small difference but not big. It's no where as light as a Fidanza. I noticed a much bigger diff with the Fidanza vs lightened VE unit.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:18 AM
STFU n00b!

Same with what Jeffy said. I honestly didn't see much difference between he stock and lightened one, but there was a HUGE difference when I installed the fidanza.

http://mattblehm.com/pics/car/drivet...h/MVC-024S.JPG
http://mattblehm.com/pics/car/drivet...h/MVC-025S.JPG
http://mattblehm.com/pics/car/drivet...h/MVC-026S.JPG
Old 11-26-2004, 04:52 AM

Thx Brad - ya I polished it myself (see thread a few pages back for more).

There was a difference in performance, and it was easily noticable. The difference between a Fidanza and this approach is budget - the Fidanza costs about $400 US - this cost me $65 CA. BIG difference in cost there.
I realize it's not even close to the weight of an aluminum unit, but again, neither was the cost.
Also, living in a cold climate and having read that a really light flywheel (like the Fidanza) can give you poor idling, I didn't want to go that light. This seems to be a nice balance between cost, effort, feel and performance. I'm happy with it anyway...
Just thought I'd let other VG owners know about it - they can make-up their own mind whether they think this is something they'd like to try at their next clutch replacement or not.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

Weather has no bearing on the flywheel. It's not light enough to make a big difference in drivability.

IMHO, the diff is very minor. And I've run both so what do I know?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:34 AM

yeah I got to get one of those light wheels. I wish I knew someone that had one they wanted to get rid of.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Weather has no bearing on the flywheel. It's not light enough to make a big difference in drivability.

I know, all these people worry about it, I can still take off going up a hill by my house, keeping the RPM's below 1000 not have it bog and not slip the clutch. I actually wish I could have recorded that one, it was perfect

Car idles fine, I still need to put my UDP on.

For the price, yours is a good solution though, you get to see some benefits without hurting the wallet.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se

I've driven this particular car b4 the 'lightened' flywheel and after, and it was easy to feel a difference. I've also idled the car b4 and after and I know there's a difference. And I've idled the car at 20 degrees (celcius) and at -10.....and I can tell you it made a difference. Don't ask me why it did cause I don't know - I'm just relaying the fact that my paricular car was affected.

I've also read (on-line) that idle and clutch feel can become a factor when the flywheel is lightened. It's a slight difference but it is definately noticable. could just be a bad machining job tho?

But it's my car, and I've driven it b4 and after, in warm and cold, so what can I know...

I never claimed it became a race car or that it idles terribly. I merely said it made a difference and that I could notice it and that it may be something some other VG owners may want to try if they can't afford the high-dollar alternative (wish I could have, but I couldn't...).
Old 11-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

I've driven both. Both in hot and cold. So what do I know? I'm just passing on my experience. And the experiences of alot of 4-gen gen guys that have bought Fidanzas from me. I've also driven a 4-gen w/ and w/o a Fidanza. I've also driven numerous Datsuns with lighter flywheels ie.. L20Bs with 240z flywheels etc...

Others can take my advice or not. I don't really care. One would think because I've driven on both combos numerous times before, I'd have an elightened opinion on the matter but I suppose some don't. It's all good I suppose. If you feel good about it, hey that's what it's about right?

Originally Posted by shvelle
I've driven this particular car b4 the 'lightened' flywheel and after, and it was easy to feel a difference. I've also idled the car b4 and after and I know there's a difference. And I've idled the car at 20 degrees (celcius) and at -10.....and I can tell you it made a difference. Don't ask me why it did cause I don't know - I'm just relaying the fact that my paricular car was affected.

I've also read (on-line) that idle and clutch feel can become a factor when the flywheel is lightened. It's a slight difference but it is definately noticable. could just be a bad machining job tho?

But it's my car, and I've driven it b4 and after, in warm and cold, so what can I know...

I never claimed it became a race car or that it idles terribly. I merely said it made a difference and that I could notice it and that it may be something some other VG owners may want to try if they can't afford the high-dollar alternative (wish I could have, but I couldn't...).
Old 12-01-2004, 12:56 AM

I have a fidanza and the only thing I really noticed was it reved much quicker. It seemed a little smoother but, I didn't notice a "huge" difference like you guys are talking about. There might have been a little bit of a hp increase but, like I said nothing big.
Originally Posted by MrGone
yeah 9lbs or 9.5 I forget.

Bah, launches are easy hehehehehe (edit: waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)
I'm pretty sure they all(ve and vg) weigh 11lbs. At least I know the ve ones do.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:35 AM

I weighed both a VE and VQ fidanza. The VQ flywheel is a few mm thicker than the VE.