3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5 speed conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 07:30 PM

5 speed conversion questions

I'm working on my 5 speed conversion, and wondering what I do with all the extra plugs from the auto. cause there are like 2 plugs on the LSD 5 speed, and there are like 6 on the auto, so what do I do?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 AM
mod or sell?

cover them with a plastic baggie, and tape the baggie shut. then wire tie them out of the way.
the baggie is to keep them from getting corroded and potentially later on cause a problem.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 PM

well that's easy enough. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 PM
blacks92seAuto

I'd hate to start a new thread about nearly the same thing and it looks like you got your question answered. so I have a question about the 5spd swap.
I have a ve btw. So far from reading everything(I think) I made a list of stuff I need for the swap. some on another thread said I would need a 5spd ecu and a 5spd wire harness....I thought I could just plug in the 2 5spd plugs and cover the remaining auto plugs...and also I thought I could just unplug my auto ecu and plug in a jwt 5spd ecu without having to swap the entire wire harness? and also...does anyone have a write up on the rewiring for the 5spd swap, Im not sure how to rewire so the backup lights come on when in reverse, and the neutral safety switch thing...and also isn't there a way you can wire it so you dont need to push the clutch in to start the car? sorry for bringing up some old stuff, but this stuff isn't covered in much detail as the labor is of putting the tranny in. Thanks

Old 12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Ford Only.

Best thing to do is get a 5 speed wiring harness, that way everything is clean like stock. But as mentioned, tie it up out of the way.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:10 PM
blacks92seAuto

how hard is it to swap a wiring harness?

Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
how hard is it to swap a wiring harness?
Pretty tricky and time consuming. In a nutshell you have to disconnect every harness from under the hood and then squeeze it through the firewall and pull it all out from the inside. Then put the 5 speed harness through the firewall and plug everything back in. I still need to do this with my 97, but I am just taking it to a shop and paying $250 since I dont trust myself with electrics and the shop I use does clean work.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
blacks92seAuto

hmm...so for a complete proper 5spd swap, I need:
tranny
clutch pedal
clutch cable
manifold with VI
fidanza flywheel
shifter and linkage
5spd wire harness
5spd ecu(jwt depending on $$$)
axles for non abs and w/lsd
couple of six packs of beer and some tools?
is there anything I left out? this is my roughdraft list of supplies I plan to get for spring time.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Im izz sexay

First get a parts car. Easier to remember the little stuff that's forgetable.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:48 PM

hmm...so for a complete proper 5spd swap, I need:
tranny
clutch pedal
clutch cable
manifold with VI
fidanza flywheel
shifter and linkage
5spd wire harness
5spd ecu(jwt depending on $$$)
axles for non abs and w/lsd
couple of six packs of beer and some tools?
is there anything I left out? this is my roughdraft list of supplies I plan to get for spring time.
tranny mounts and brackets
clutch slave cylinder
master clutch cylinder
clutch plate, pressure plate and small bolts with the spacer

i know that Fugi43 can help u out on this whole re-wire thing. he was able to make his cruise control, reverse lights, and making his car start by pushin' in the clutch pedal work. i still have to do this to my car but i only did the simple re-wire to just start the car without usin' the clutch pedal. and also have someone give u a hand to make the swap faster.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:06 AM
blacks92seAuto

mounts are different than an auto?.
and also...I think I asked this before, but, what are going rates for parts cars, and does just any old junk yard sell parts cars?

Old 12-04-2004, 08:47 AM

i know sumone in atlanta ga that has a 93 se maxima for sale, blown motor, but everything else is fine. he would prob take 450, has clutch, tranny, everything needed +more its in perfect condition
Old 12-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Im izz sexay

Buy his 93 and replace the engine. That's an upgrade from your GXE. You have the VG but he had the VE. VG=160hp VE=190hp. Why go through the troubles of converting trannies when swapping an engine can look like child's play?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
Buy his 93 and replace the engine. That's an upgrade from your GXE. You have the VG but he had the VE. VG=160hp VE=190hp. Why go through the troubles of converting trannies when swapping an engine can look like child's play?
he already has a VE not a VG

blacks92seAuto: the mounts r different from auto to manual. i believe for 5-speed trannie mounts for ur VE r the same for our VG. when i did my swap i only swapped out the front trannie mount and left the one by the firewall alone cuz that one was the same but the front one is completely different and it goes back by just one hole on the frame of the car. u also have to change the brackets that bolt up from under the engine and the trannie and also the big a$$ shield that separates the engine from trannie.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 PM
blacks92seAuto

Would like to know from you pro's out there what I can start doing now, while my car is still an auto...to make less work for me later. I was thinking that I could go pick up a clutch pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder.....would I be able to install that and have no interferance other than the clutch pedal being there...and what else could I do and still have my car driveable.. and anyone got info on how they installed the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder and maybe tips how to mount the pedal? Thanks

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
This just occurred to me...you probably need to get the brake pedal, too. I think the AT brake pedal is wider than that of a manual tranny car. You need to double check with guys that have done the swap.

your probably right....because I was looking at that earlier today and was like, "hmmm where is this clutch pedal gonna mount, not much room next to this brake pedal, gonna have to shave an inch off each side...hmm.."
seriously, that was my thought ealrier, even though Id just get a smaller brake pedal.
And can I be reasured that if I decide to do the swap and not swap for the VI manifold, that my car wont blow up and for most part should be normal...and also, if I do that, can I still use my stock auto ecu?..I know I have to rewire like 4 wires to get a few things working properly.

Happy Jeffy?

Old 12-06-2004, 06:09 AM

Would like to know from you pro's out there what I can start doing now, while my car is still an auto...to make less work for me later. I was thinking that I could go pick up a clutch pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder.....would I be able to install that and have no interferance other than the clutch pedal being there...and what else could I do and still have my car driveable.. and anyone got info on how they installed the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder and maybe tips how to mount the pedal? Thanks

your probably right....because I was looking at that earlier today and was like, "hmmm where is this clutch pedal gonna mount, not much room next to this brake pedal, gonna have to shave an inch off each side...hmm.."
seriously, that was my thought ealrier, even though Id just get a smaller brake pedal.
And can I be reasured that if I decide to do the swap and not swap for the VI manifold, that my car wont blow up and for most part should be normal...and also, if I do that, can I still use my stock auto ecu?..I know I have to rewire like 4 wires to get a few things working properly.

Happy Jeffy?
if i were u i would drill the hole for the clutch pedal and master cylinder first to get that out of the way and ready for mounting. u will need a 3/8" Angle Drill Attachment to make the big hole which is 1 1/2" big as well. the way i did to make it align is by making a template out of aluminum foil and put it on the firewall of the 5-speed to make the holes and then take it to the other to just draw the holes. also swap out the brake pedal as well. i cut mine cuz i was too lazy to swap it out. but i will swap it out eventually cuz i don't like how it sits now. im currently using my auto ECU but have an ECU for a VG 5-speed but i didn't swap it out cuz internetautomar told me that the injectors r different from a '91 to that of my '93 so i left if alone. but im pretty sure u can use ur current ECU but get the 5-speed just in case.

Remember what u need to make the Hole:
3/8" ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT item# 153890 from NORTHERN Industrial Tools
1 1/2" hole opener thingy <-- i forget what its called but i hope u know what im talkin' about.

hope all this info. helps u out.

Rick
Old 12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
blacks92seAuto

is it possible to start mount the clutch pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder now?...not just make the mounting holes for it, but I want to put some stuff together so I dont have to worry about it later, but I also want it to be driveable

Old 12-06-2004, 10:55 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON

Remember what u need to make the Hole:
3/8" ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT item# 153890 from NORTHERN Industrial Tools
1 1/2" hole opener thingy <-- i forget what its called but i hope u know what im talkin' about.

hope all this info. helps u out.

Rick
hole opener thingy? not sure what you mean...what exactly is this hole opener thingy?

Old 12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
blacks92seAuto

so i need and some hole opener thinga majig bober thing.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
blacks92seAuto

1 more question, im sure i will have more. But does the 5spd transmission have plugs on them for things like turning the reverse lights on, and so the car can start when its in neutral and stuff like that? im confused on the rewire, so you people that have done the 5spd swap and rewire for the auto ecu please help me out.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:01 PM

ok the hole opener thing a majig is like the same tool that u use to make a big a$$ hole in ur house door to put the dead bolt lock and the other type of door *****. but its 1 1/2" in diameter to make the hole on ur firewall. as for the rewire the 5-speed trannies already have the plugs. one is for the speed sensor and the other is for the neutral/safety switch. so thats only 2 plugs. for the neutral/safety switch the 5-speed tranny plug only has 3 prongs and the auto tranny has 4 prongs. if i remember correctly u can either put a jumper wire into the 3 prong wire; one end of the jumper wire into the empty slot of the plug from the tranny and the other end into one of the prongs don't remember if its either positive or negative but i believe its positive. once the jumper wire is in place just connect the plugs together and ur car should start without pushing in the clutch pedal. as for the reverse lights, cruise control, and starting the car with the clutch pushed in u would have to speak to Fugi43 about it because he did his correctly just how u want it. i still have to do this to my car as well because i want my reverse lights to turn back on and my cruise control to work as well. but remember my re-wire is on a VG not sure if its the same for ur VE.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
blacks92seAuto

good info, thanks for the help..FUGI43 where you at I need your help

Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 PM
blacks92seAuto

for the neutral/safety switch the 5-speed tranny plug only has 3 prongs and the auto tranny has 4 prongs. if i remember correctly u can either put a jumper wire into the 3 prong wire; one end of the jumper wire into the empty slot of the plug from the tranny and the other end into one of the prongs don't remember if its either positive or negative but i believe its positive. once the jumper wire is in place just connect the plugs together and ur car should start without pushing in the clutch pedal.
can anyone enlighten me with what color the wires on the auto harness(connects to ecu) from the neutral safety switch that are suppose to come in contact with the ones on the 5spd tranny? and also, im not sure what you mean with this jumper thing?... so you put it on the 4 prong(auto harness to ecu) to make it so 2 of the prongs make 1? so that the power from one of the 3 prongs(5spd ) connects to 2 of the 4 on the auto connector for the neutral safety switch... and where can i buy this jumper? and can anyone confirm what pins or color wires from the 5spd need to connect to what colors on the auto

Old 12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
blacks92seAuto

i wanna correct myself....so what you do is, you connect this jumper wire(can anyone explain to me what this is and where I can get one) to a pin on 1 of the 3 on the 5spd, connect it to the 1 on the auto that wont get connected from plugging the plugs together(the empty one) and i will still be able to connect these plugs? and anyone tell me what one on the 5spd tranny i need to connect this jumper wire on...i can figure out what one on the auto plug it goes to....Thanks again

Old 12-07-2004, 09:24 PM
blacks92seAuto

[QUOTE=GRNMAXDMON]............
clutch plate, pressure plate and small bolts with the spacer .......
QUOTE]
what do you mean, small bolts with the spacer? for what, the pressure plate?
is there any hardware I need to change...I know I need to put a 5spd flywheel on....do I need the bolts for the 5spd flywheel too? is there anything else like this i need to swap out?

Old 12-08-2004, 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=blacks92seAuto]
clutch plate, pressure plate and small bolts with the spacer .......
QUOTE]
what do you mean, small bolts with the spacer? for what, the pressure plate?
is there any hardware I need to change...I know I need to put a 5spd flywheel on....do I need the bolts for the 5spd flywheel too? is there anything else like this i need to swap out?
yes u need those bolts that holds the pressure plate in place with the flywheel. the spacer im talkin' about is the round piece that is bolted on with the flywheel to the block of the engine just not sure if the VE's have it. its a small circular spacer with i think 6 small bolts to hold the flywheel then u got the 6 or 9 other bolts that holds the pressure plate to the flywheel. this is practically the only thing i can think of for the hardware part.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 PM

Total newb question: because thats what i am. Someone who doens't know a bunch about cars but wants to badly. Haha.

Anyway, is a manuel transmission from a VE compatable with a VG that has an auto? How? WHy? Why not? If ya don't mind in a nutshell. If this is too dumb or in the wrong place remove it! Haha. Thanks ya'll.

Kev
Old 12-08-2004, 10:33 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by KaneTHS
Total newb question: because thats what i am. Someone who doens't know a bunch about cars but wants to badly. Haha.

Anyway, is a manuel transmission from a VE compatable with a VG that has an auto? How? WHy? Why not? If ya don't mind in a nutshell. If this is too dumb or in the wrong place remove it! Haha. Thanks ya'll.

Kev
dont think so, would be alot easier to just swap a vg 5spd into a vg..or just swap the ve5spd in with a jdm ve motor hehe

Old 12-08-2004, 10:40 PM
blacks92seAuto

ok sorry, i have been post whoring the shiat out of this thread. But after about a week of looking in my manual and asking you guys questions I have made a final(?) list of what I need for this swap.
*ve 5spd tranny
--mounts and brackets
--axles
--flywheel and bolts
--rear plate(for manual not auto)
--clutch, pressure plate(might buy a new kit, any recommendations, saw complete kit for $150 at schmucks)
*5spd ecu
--wire harness
*clutch pedal assembly
--new brake pedal to make room for clutch pedal
*clutch master cylinder
--clutch slave cylinder
--hydraulic lines
*shifter assembly
--shift rod
--shift support rod(both end up connecting from shifter to tranny I believe)

ok I think thats it, maybe a 24pack of beer and good ol patience. Anyone know of something I left out, please let me know... maybe with all your guys help and when im done with this 5spd swap, I can try to do a detailed write up of whats needed, what needs to be swapped, etc...Thanks

Old 12-09-2004, 12:55 PM

i wanna correct myself....so what you do is, you connect this jumper wire(can anyone explain to me what this is and where I can get one) to a pin on 1 of the 3 on the 5spd, connect it to the 1 on the auto that wont get connected from plugging the plugs together(the empty one) and i will still be able to connect these plugs? and anyone tell me what one on the 5spd tranny i need to connect this jumper wire on...i can figure out what one on the auto plug it goes to....Thanks again
for a jumper wire just get a piece of speaker wire and cut about an inch long maybe half inch and just peel off the plastic sleeve and just have the bare wires and put them in the 4 prong connector of the 5-speed tranny to connect with the 3 prong connector in the auto harness. now both harness from 5-speed and auto r the same square shape but remember that the harness off the 5-speed tranny has 4 complete prongs and the auto harness that goes into the auto tranny only has 3 prongs. so with the jumper wire bend it into a U-shaped wire to put into the 5-speed tranny harness. one end of the wire put it in one prong of the 5-speed harness and the other end of the wire put in another prong of the 5-speed harness. once that wire is in place get the auto harness and plug it into the 5-speed harness and try to turn on ur car. if it does not turn on disconnect the harnesses and try another pair of prongs. if i remember correctly on the 5-speed harness 2 wires r positives and the other 2 r negatives. from the auto harness 2 should be positive and 1 negative if not its 2 negatives and 1 positive. so the jumper wire has to be connected with i believe both negatives to make one or both positives to make one and ur car should start. i hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:28 PM

had a question about this, will the ve 5speed tranny bolt up to the vg 5 speed engine, also i know i need the ve's wheel hubs and axles, is there any thin else that will be needed any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, also will i need to do anything special to the wiring harness to make this work?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dantegl
had a question about this, will the ve 5speed tranny bolt up to the vg 5 speed engine, also i know i need the ve's wheel hubs and axles, is there any thin else that will be needed any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, also will i need to do anything special to the wiring harness to make this work?

yes this swap has been done from VE to VG 5-speed trannies. grab all the parts necessary just in case for the swap. as for the re-wiring i think its a little more work to make it work on a VG motor rather than a VE motor but it has been done and i think LordRandell is one of the .org members that did this.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:25 AM

My automatic crapped aout last week. Tranny shop wants 1700$ to rebuild it, although if I go that route I will just drop the tranny myself and take it to them in the van to save some money.

However, it's christmas break so I have free time, I'm cheap, and I've always wanted a 5sp anyways. On THuirsday I'm going to hit up a junkyard or two to see if I can find a 5sp VG.

From my understanding, I can drop the tranny by raising the front of the car, removing the wheels and axles, placing a jack under the tranny, removing the tranny mount bolts, removing the tranny to engine bolts, and lowering it down with the jack. I'll probably have a friend or two to help me.

Is there a write-up somewhere on this swap? Are there any specialty tools I'll need? I'm pretty confident that I can do it with a week of free time and a friend or two at my disposal. I didnt have any trouble replacing my shocks/struts or my timing belt.

Also, I need axles from the 5sp car even if it's also a VG right?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have a VG tranny, you can use the axles off either your car of the five speed car.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 PM

So the VG automatic axles in my car will work with the 5 speed tranny from another VG?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:59 PM

yes ur auto axles and hubs will work with the 5-speed tranny. even ur auto ECU will work fine with the 5-speed tranny.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:32 AM

I completed an auto/manual swap a couple months ago - you might find some useful info in some of my posts on this thread
http://www.nissanx.com/f0rums/thread...d=37&styleid=2

From reading some of the earlier posts/replies, I would not recommend trying to cut the holes for the clutch pedal/master cylinder until you are actually installing it. You have to be sure that the pedal lines up with the vertical support bolt, and the clutch pedal wouldn't fit in there with the auto brake pedal anyway. You will also have to make a spacer/support plate, as the clutch pedal does not mount all the way up to the firewall - it's space about 3/4" back. I think I still have a diagram of the necessary wiring to make everything work right - it's on paper, so I'll have to scan it when I get the chance. I would not suggest trying to get the manual wiring harness - that job would seriously be a pain in ****. I made my own mini-harness to get the connections I needed - some of that info should be in the linked thread. If you are robbing parts from a parts car, you will need to get the clutch piping & loop assembly, the mating plug ends for the clutch pedal switches (you will have to run your own wires up there for them work), m/t brake pedal, front tranny mount, rear tranny mount (tranny-side only, car-side is the same), as well as most of the other stuff you mentioned. You do not need to swap axles or ecu - just disconnect things that the auto uses that the manual doesn't and you should have no conflicts. You will need the ASCD computer from a manual tranny car, though, as well as the clutch interlock relay.

There's probably something else I'm forgetting - it's late and I did this a couple months ago now. When are you planning on actually doing this swap? If I sat down for a couple hours and looked over the pictures I took, I could probably do a whole write up - if I had the imagination and motivation. If you're not planning on doing this for a for a few weeks or months, I can put a write-up together with some helpful pics. Right now I don't have the time to do it thouroughly if you're looking to do this job like this weekend or something.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 90pearlSE
I completed an auto/manual swap a couple months ago - you might find some useful info in some of my posts on this thread
http://www.nissanx.com/f0rums/thread...d=37&styleid=2

From reading some of the earlier posts/replies, I would not recommend trying to cut the holes for the clutch pedal/master cylinder until you are actually installing it. You have to be sure that the pedal lines up with the vertical support bolt, and the clutch pedal wouldn't fit in there with the auto brake pedal anyway. You will also have to make a spacer/support plate, as the clutch pedal does not mount all the way up to the firewall - it's space about 3/4" back. I think I still have a diagram of the necessary wiring to make everything work right - it's on paper, so I'll have to scan it when I get the chance. I would not suggest trying to get the manual <a href="wiring%20harness" onmouseover="window.status='wiring harness'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">wiring harness</a> - that job would seriously be a pain in ****. I made my own mini-harness to get the connections I needed - some of that info should be in the linked thread. If you are robbing parts from a parts car, you will need to get the clutch piping & loop assembly, the mating plug ends for the clutch pedal switches (you will have to run your own wires up there for them work), m/t brake pedal, front tranny mount, rear tranny mount (tranny-side only, car-side is the same), as well as most of the other stuff you mentioned. You do not need to swap axles or ecu - just disconnect things that the auto uses that the manual doesn't and you should have no conflicts. You will need the ASCD computer from a manual tranny car, though, as well as the clutch interlock relay.

There's probably something else I'm forgetting - it's late and I did this a couple months ago now. When are you planning on actually doing this swap? If I sat down for a couple hours and looked over the pictures I took, I could probably do a whole write up - if I had the imagination and motivation. If you're not planning on doing this for a for a few weeks or months, I can put a write-up together with some helpful pics. Right now I don't have the time to do it thouroughly if you're looking to do this job like this weekend or something.
but did u make ur reverse lights and cruise control work??? thats what im tryin' to do to make them work.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i Have a VE maxima and im wondering about the wiring. I have everything hooked up and it wont start. I still have the auto ecu in it. I have the speed sensor hooked up and thats it. Does anyone know how to wire it up so it will start on a VE? Like colors, or maybie pictures?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:25 PM

check the other thread, it should only be a page or two back, its got pictures and everything

Quick Reply: 5 speed conversion questions