3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What's up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:42 PM

What's up with this?

I replaced a bad fuel injector Sunday. The car ran great for a day.
Today I drove it a little and it started missing badly again. It ran bad enough that it stalled a few times and was difficult to restart.
I get it home and the injector that I replaced (the center cylinder in the rear bank) is once again not working. The center front cylinder is also dead. The coils are firing but the injectors aren't. They were both fine yesterday. I can't afford to replace any more injectors right now with Christmas coming up but I have to have the car running well in a few weeks.
What could be the cause of this? I'm very angry and frustrated.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by pete944/max
I replaced a bad fuel injector Sunday. The car ran great for a day.
Today I drove it a little and it started missing badly again. It ran bad enough that it stalled a few times and was difficult to restart.
I get it home and the injector that I replaced (the center cylinder in the rear bank) is once again not working. The center front cylinder is also dead. The coils are firing but the injectors aren't. They were both fine yesterday. I can't afford to replace any more injectors right now with Christmas coming up but I have to have the car running well in a few weeks.
What could be the cause of this? I'm very angry and frustrated.

Bad connection in the injector harness?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:12 AM
mod or sell?

was the injector new or reman/rebuilt?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:12 AM

The injector was new.
I know, I hate Autozone but they're about 3 minutes from home and have the things in stock for $99 with a 1 year warranty.

When I get home tonight I'm going to pull the injector back out and return it for another. I'll have to get one for the front cylinder also.

They list 2 injectors, blue or black. I couldn't find any dot anywhere on the old injector or the harness. Autozone had the same part # for blue or black. So I just got the one that looked identical to the original. What exactly is the difference between the blue or black injectors.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:42 AM
mod or sell?

bosch superseeded the black and blue into one part #.
the injector you got should have the nissan symbol on the head or boschs symbol.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:32 PM

What a night! I got the injectors out in less than an hour and went back to Autozone to exchange the bad one and they were out of them!

I was just about to give up but it turned out that Pep Boys (15 miles away) had them. I wanted to get it done tonight so I jumped back in the car and flew down there.
I had it all back together in an hour and then noticed one vacuum line under the throttle body that I forgot to connect. I fought with that for another hour and lost most of the skin on my knuckles.
Thankfully it started right up and purred like a kitten. I drove it around for about 50 miles and it ran like a scalded dog.
I hope the things stay fixed this time!

Next up, replacing the Y-pipe Friday night! Yippee!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 AM
mod or sell?

I just noticed that you have an SE which means you have a VE30DE motor.
the VE only took one injector part #
the color dots only affect the VG motor which would explain why you got the wrong injector from Autozone.
Dumb Dumb ME I didn't catch that earlier