3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

buying new ve 5spd!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004 | 11:43 AM
blacks92seAuto

buying new ve 5spd!

I have been looking at parts cars, trannies, and cheap ve 5spds. I came across this one close to my house, although I haven't seen it driving by me ever....but anyways it has like 174k miles, new clutch, front bumper was backed into....interior is ok i think, needs new brake pads, the vtc have started to knock, but only in nuetral, not when the car is in gear ever...
And the price is right and I may be able to get him down even cheaper. But anyways, my main question is: Even though the VTC sprockets knock and make loud clicking noise....do they still function properly? just because they make the noise, i would think they still do there job and at 3500rpm or whatever its at, they turn on or off and make more torque,hp. Am I right? Or is it when they start knocking, they dont work properly as they were designed to, and they dont work at 3500rpm to give more hp?
Old 12-13-2004 | 12:06 PM
blacks92seAuto

bump...all I want to know is if the VTC click, do they still function normally?
Old 12-13-2004 | 12:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

No..................
Old 12-13-2004 | 12:13 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
No..................
so then I may as well ground them out so they hopefully dont click clack most the time
Old 12-13-2004 | 01:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
so then I may as well ground them out so they hopefully dont click clack most the time
After a while they will click clack all the time, grounded or not. The clicking doesn't bother me. If it bothers you just turn up the radio.
Old 12-13-2004 | 02:13 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Or maybe they will do this:
These photos are from the engine that was originally in my new 92. This is the reason my friend got it so chaep and was able to pass that on to me.

Then again it may tick for years and never break. Who knows but I think I would spend at least the couple of hundred bucs to rebuild and replace.
Old 12-13-2004 | 02:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Just seeing red x's dude.
Old 12-13-2004 | 03:58 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Just seeing red x's dude.
it may be somethign with webshots or something. The link is below...look through all the pics until you come up to the cracked gear in the VTC assymbly

Here is the link to the album. Craig set it up.
Old 12-13-2004 | 05:18 PM
blacks92seAuto

I think I might buy this car in like a week or so. It is a 92 maxima se ve 5spd. It needs: new front bumper, gas cover flap thing, has cracked indshield, vtc click clack in neutral, 174k miles. Im going to swap over my complete exhaust from ypipe to muffler, swap the intakes over so i have the cai on my 5spd, i need to take off the pulley i just put on and swap it onto the 5spd, swap the ground kit i put on my auto, swap my clearn corners, maybe fog lights.
I can do all of that work myself, so its free. Car is $1000. Body is fine except the front bumper, haven't looked or drove it yet though, that will decide...but what do you guys think? good deal? ve 5spd its champagne color, and has a sunroof, but the vtc failure already happened.......
im going to sell my auto after swapping everything, and it has a rebuilt tranny and a jdm motor 30k motor in it.
Old 12-13-2004 | 06:09 PM

I would have a mechanic take a look at the car. From the description of the bumper to the cracked windshield, to the gas door. You might be in for more of a headache because it sounds like the owner neglected it, but you also have a parts car (your auto maxima) at will if you need so. How can the engine with only 30K have ticking VTC's?
Old 12-13-2004 | 06:26 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by ScreamingVE
I would have a mechanic take a look at the car. From the description of the bumper to the cracked windshield, to the gas door. You might be in for more of a headache because it sounds like the owner neglected it, but you also have a parts car (your auto maxima) at will if you need so. How can the engine with only 30K have ticking VTC's?
it doesnt...my auto is the one with the 30k engine.....this other motor is 174k and it ticks in neutral....he told me the gas door thing was he got drunk one night and kicked it, he pounded the dent out but it dont look the same....the cracked windshield was from a rock on the freeway...hell my auto has a cracked windshield and i take very good care of it......im going to take a look over the engine and look at the condition of the cv boots and rack and pinion boots and stuff like that...i will probably order a new froint bumper off ebay for $87 shipped. I probably will sell the auto when im done swapping stuff. but anything that is better in my auto than the 5spd, is getting swapped...so i think i should be ok on that...also he said he just put a new clutch in it.....
Old 12-13-2004 | 06:43 PM

Hey thats cool, its up to you if you feel the car is worth that much If you have the 30K JDM engine already, I would say swapping it into the 5speed would be awesome along with the mods you already have.
Old 12-13-2004 | 06:49 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by ScreamingVE
Hey thats cool, its up to you if you feel the car is worth that much If you have the 30K JDM engine already, I would say swapping it into the 5speed would be awesome along with the mods you already have.
ya i thought about that too...I would have to pull my jdm eng, pull the other eng, then put them both back in, but put the jdm in the 5spd. Id have to pay my mechanic for the labor, i cant swap engines, but i can do most other mechanical stuff.
Question: What would be easier...swapping motors...or just stripping the front covers and swapping the VTC sprockets? put my JDM sprockets in the 174k motor that clicks...and then I will of course get the recommended yota filter and some gtx 5w30. I think it would be easier to swap the VTC sprockets, but i haven't done work like that, let me know, you guys who have rebuilt your sprockets....should i swap sprockets or motors?
Old 12-13-2004 | 06:53 PM
blacks92seAuto

hmmm I also have the option of maybe getting a tranny and parts for a swap for about $600.....and then I can jsut swap a 5spd into my auto which is in very good condition...axles, boots are good replaced, brakes replaced, alot of stuff has been replaced with good or new...I think I might just end up buying a tranny and swapping from auto to 5spd...Its about the same as buying the 5spd already for 1k, but id have it in my car and it would be a jdm motor with a 5spd, i may end up paying like $1200 to finish the swap tho....You guys think I should just do a 5spd swap if i can get everything to do it for $600?
Old 12-13-2004 | 08:01 PM

I'm pretty sure my VTCs died recently too. Though it seems after the engine has warmed up I don't hear them much. Thank God Nissan had the foresight to engineer the things to just act as dead weight should they fail.
Old 12-13-2004 | 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would swap the 5spd into the jdm engine

if the other car only ticks in nutral it could be bad input shaft bearing in the transmission, it will click when in netral and kinda sound like the vtc niose

my last transmission lost 1st and 2nd because the input shaft had about 1/4in of play due to a bad input bearing
Old 12-13-2004 | 08:49 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i would swap the 5spd into the jdm engine

if the other car only ticks in nutral it could be bad input shaft bearing in the transmission, it will click when in netral and kinda sound like the vtc niose

my last transmission lost 1st and 2nd because the input shaft had about 1/4in of play due to a bad input bearing
ya i haven't heard it yet so i cant diagnose it....it would be easier to check with it in nuetral idling and get my head under there....but I think I am just gonna buy this 5spd and parts with it for $600....after paying m mechanic and buying stuff like new clutch set, and having flywheel resurfaced, It would be like $1000-1200 and it would be on my good jdm motor and all my parts are already on it!.
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:59 AM
blacks92seAuto

well the guy i was getting the tranny and everything for ended up getting a bidder sooner than i could get money which would of been another week.....I was gonna give him $600 for everything shipped....but since i found out someone bought the tranny....I called a junkyard and asked them for a 92-94 parts car with 5spd, they said they dont sell parts cars but would sell me everything i need for $500. I guess i got lucky a lil eh