3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Grinding Sound When Starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 07:50 AM

Grinding Sound When Starting

Hey guys for the past week when ever I try to start my car for the first time I hear a grinding sound coming from the engine. This only happens when it is very cold outside which it has been for a few days. On the second start it starts like nothing ever happen. Could there be a problem or is this normal for cold weather starts.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by maxima76
Hey guys for the past week when ever I try to start my car for the first time I hear a grinding sound coming from the engine. This only happens when it is very cold outside which it has been for a few days. On the second start it starts like nothing ever happen. Could there be a problem or is this normal for cold weather starts.
I'm no car, let alone maxima expert by any means. But just intuition tells me that it probably is just from the cold weather - especially because you mentioned it starts the 2nd time as if nothing were wrong to begin with. I, personally would judge it by how harsh (bad) the grinding sounds. If it sounds horribly loud and just not right, I would worry..but if its just a minor grind then see what happes within the next few weeks..make sure it doesnt get any worse. My thoughts are that the oil in the car is probably so cold and thick that the grinding is most likely your engine grinding itself because it is not as of yet properly lubricated by the oil. but then again, I am NO car EXPERT by any means...just thought I'd chime my 1.5cents in!

(Also, in cold weather, my 91 max doesn't grind, but it takes a second before it actually starts and kicks over, it just kinda chokes for about 20 seconds; as opposed to warmer weather where she starts right up in a sinch!)
Old 12-23-2004, 09:44 AM

buy a block heater and "sound" will go away

don't worry - its normal for the cold weather (in fact any car would make the same sound)
Old 12-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's the starter. The cold weather is preventing the starter gear from shooting out far enough to make good solid contact with the ring-gear on the flywheel, and that's the grinding you hear. The first attempt sort of frees up the starter gear. The second attempt gets the gears to mesh solidly and you're on your way. Trouble is, every time you hear a grind...., you're wearing the starter gear AND the ring-gear. I know - I've had it happen, and I've seen the results on both gears. New starter solved the problem for me.
If it's really rare that this happens, then just be consious of the cold weather the first time you start it and try to keep the grinding time down to a minimum.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:36 PM

Grinding Starter

I second the above opinion. I had the same problem and it was happening more and more often. I pulled the starter and had it tested at the local store. The starter and solenoid tested fine but the pinion gear hung up on the way out letting the starter get going too fast to mesh. I replaced the starter, but it might work to disassemble it and lube the pinion gear shaft or the lever from the solenoid that pushes it out or the solenoid slide. Also a new solenoid that is still strong might help, but for ~$100 for a rebuilt starter with a lifetime guarantee, a rebuilt will save alot of time.