3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

wiper blades went out???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 PM

wiper blades went out???

well yesterday we got about a foot and a half of snow here in cincinnati. before I left work I cleaned my winshield off. while I was driving I started the wipers up. they ran fine for about 5 minutes. out of no where I heard this really loud bang. I thought that a car had hit me but it was actually my wiper blades going out on me.

they just stopped working. I tried to turn them off then back on but it didnt do anything. I did hear the wiper moter turning back and forth after it happened but I dont even hear that now.

what do you think could have happened? as soon as I can get my car into the garage I will try and find out but I need to use my car and its not safe when driving in snow with no wipers
Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
mod or sell?

linkage.
Probably that stupid little plastic clip popped off.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by internetautomar
linkage.
Probably that stupid little plastic clip popped off.

where's that darn picture of me humping my engine and my arm halfway up the wiper assy. cavity?!?!??!

SERIOUSLY GUYS!! POST IT!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:39 PM

what happened i think happened to my sentra. There is a bar connected to both wipers and moves back and forth from the movement from a bar connected to the wiper motor. The bar from the motor is held on by some kind of tar/grease not actually bolted together. When it gets older it weakens and when to much pressure is put on they come apart. You can try using a type of sealent to reconnect them. But I would recommend going to a dealer or junkyard and getting different ones. I have yet to fix my Sentras wipers. Since rain season is here and Washington gets alot of rain.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by Mattster
what happened i think happened to my sentra. There is a bar connected to both wipers and moves back and forth from the movement from a bar connected to the wiper motor. The bar from the motor is held on by some kind of tar/grease not actually bolted together. When it gets older it weakens and when to much pressure is put on they come apart. You can try using a type of sealent to reconnect them. But I would recommend going to a dealer or junkyard and getting different ones. I have yet to fix my Sentras wipers. Since rain season is here and Washington gets alot of rain.
O_o

it's not put together with tar....

it's essentially a ball joint socket. push em back together and dont put your wipers under a heavy load.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
O_o

it's not put together with tar....

it's essentially a ball joint socket. push em back together and dont put your wipers under a heavy load.

but thats the thing, they were not under any load at all. I had scraped all the snow off the windshield. all I was doing was keeping the snow from building up.

I dont know if this will help or not but if I move one wiper then the other one will also move so they are still connected somehow.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The joints wear out since one side is plastic, so you should buy a new part from the dealership and change it out.

Since you can move BOTH wipers together that tells me that it's not the long linkage connecting both sides together. Instead, it's the joint that connects the wiper motor to the linkage close to it, meaning you will probably have to replace that one. It's still tricky even though you don't have to deal with the other side because there isn't a whole lot of room around there and you'll still have to pop off and re-attach the long linkage...

Make sure the wiper motor works when you open everything up and that it isn't damaged/broken first of course. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by maximaboi
but thats the thing, they were not under any load at all. I had scraped all the snow off the windshield. all I was doing was keeping the snow from building up.

I dont know if this will help or not but if I move one wiper then the other one will also move so they are still connected somehow.
snow isn't exactly rain.... they got to work pretty hard to push snow off from the beginning. Thats what happened to me... first time, they were frozen on and i didn't know it... that little wiper motor has got some torque!

Second time was where my windshield was covered with about 1" of powder... it pushed it off, but the ball came out of the socket a wee bit and while driving, it came out.

It's not a fun job trying to put that back in...
Old 12-27-2004, 03:12 PM

ahh had that happened to me a few times last year and last night. it sux having ur friend move the wipers for ya in a blizzard and then pull over standing in a foot of snow fixing it. but its just worn badly it barely snaps in just 2lbs of force its out but im gonna get new ball joint things and linkages
Old 12-27-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

*sigh* I mean doesn ANYONE even consider looking at the stickies anymore? I don't know what happens more. Brian quoting maxima parts or me referring to the stickies

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801f5293.jsp
Old 12-31-2004, 05:36 AM

well I fixed them. it really wasnt that hard to do at all. I ended up taking off the hood so that I could move around a little better.

they are connected with a ball joint and what had happened was the joint that connects in the middle of the car came off. when it did that the winshield wiper motor was still running and I think it pushed that metal rod into something causing a lot of pressure and then it broke and I think that was the loud noise I heard.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
*sigh* I mean doesn ANYONE even consider looking at the stickies anymore? I don't know what happens more. Brian quoting maxima parts or me referring to the stickies

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801f5293.jsp

Human is lazy and wants to talk his problem over, hopes thats all, waits for summer to repair whole life...

Stickies info is Great! But:
The stickies crowd does not actually give forum any discussion -profit, but they consume the page area: there should be just one 3gen Info click on and the golden issues should be located separate from discussion, and given freebies a limited possibility to use search machine on this info.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
well I fixed them. it really wasnt that hard to do at all. I ended up taking off the hood so that I could move around a little better.

they are connected with a ball joint and what had happened was the joint that connects in the middle of the car came off. when it did that the winshield wiper motor was still running and I think it pushed that metal rod into something causing a lot of pressure and then it broke and I think that was the loud noise I heard.
thanks for having this problem, i have the same problem now i think and this will help =D.

im glad its not thjat hard cause i have no garage and its friggin cold outside