3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another VTC ticking question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005 | 01:13 AM

Another VTC ticking question

Hey, I've tried to read up on all threads about VTC's but so far I haven't found the answer to my question.

When I start my car on cold mornings (below zero) it's ticking for a little while, then goes away and doesn't come back again. It ticks for about 5-15 seconds and usually if I rev the engine just a little it goes away faster. Probably because the oil pressure takes time to build up and get oil into the heads. True?

The question is: Do I need to worry about it yet? I've planned to rebuild them sometime in the future but haven't got the time to do so just yet, if I don't necessarily have to.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2005 | 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Phatsta
Hey, I've tried to read up on all threads about VTC's but so far I haven't found the answer to my question.

When I start my car on cold mornings (below zero) it's ticking for a little while, then goes away and doesn't come back again. It ticks for about 5-15 seconds and usually if I rev the engine just a little it goes away faster. Probably because the oil pressure takes time to build up and get oil into the heads. True?

The question is: Do I need to worry about it yet? I've planned to rebuild them sometime in the future but haven't got the time to do so just yet, if I don't necessarily have to.

Thanks guys!
Back at work?

I think we scandics miss that VTC sweet... Most probably valve lifters, worn maybe. Somebody used some gunk cleaner and told all ok after that. Could be oil pressure low, check that possibility.

Happy Year 2005!

See my web page that I pushed up while u were downhill skiing...
Old 01-03-2005 | 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Back at work?

I think we scandics miss that VTC sweet... Most probably valve lifters, worn maybe. Somebody used some gunk cleaner and told all ok after that. Could be oil pressure low, check that possibility.

Happy Year 2005!

See my web page that I pushed up while u were downhill skiing...
Hey!
Yeah, back after 2 weeks of wild partying and lots of shopping... my account is pretty heavily used. But wtf, you only live once right?

Alright, so it's not the VTC's ticking? The valve lifters... well I thought about replacing the valve springs for some with heavier resistance (to manage higher rev) so maybe it's a good idea to replace the lifters while I'm at it..?

Still, would you say it's a high or low risk that anything would happen to my engine? I'll check the oil pressure right away, if that's what's bad it's not so good...

Yeah I saw your page earlier today, it went straight to my favourites! Nice work with the car!

I wish you a happy new year as well my friend!
Old 01-03-2005 | 05:04 AM

Hey!
Yeah, back after 2 weeks of wild partying and lots of shopping... my account is pretty heavily used. But wtf, you only live once right?

Alright, so it's not the VTC's ticking? The valve lifters... well I thought about replacing the valve springs for some with heavier resistance (to manage higher rev) so maybe it's a good idea to replace the lifters while I'm at it..?

Still, would you say it's a high or low risk that anything would happen to my engine? I'll check the oil pressure right away, if that's what's bad it's not so good...

Yeah I saw your page earlier today, it went straight to my favourites! Nice work with the car!

I wish you a happy new year as well my friend!
Me also surfing: Just updated the last connector infopage...

Well, soul is eternal, body is not... here one needs a well working body to enjoy and THE american aunt.... But if one is wannabe 'havenots', theres always ol' Maxima to keep on shining...

valves:
There is a nissan TSB of the valve issue: using nissan oil filter and valves should be ok. --->Different filters have different back pressure, and this might be as they say. Anyways, its cheap to replace. On the filter issue theres some stickies, dunno if thos number help me, I use std nissan filter.
Old 01-03-2005 | 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Me also surfing: Just updated the last connector infopage...

Well, soul is eternal, body is not... here one needs a well working body to enjoy and THE american aunt.... But if one is wannabe 'havenots', theres always ol' Maxima to keep on shining...

valves:
There is a nissan TSB of the valve issue: using nissan oil filter and valves should be ok. --->Different filters have different back pressure, and this might be as they say. Anyways, its cheap to replace. On the filter issue theres some stickies, dunno if thos number help me, I use std nissan filter.
Yeah I've heard about the filter issue, not that it tells me anything of what to buy though... the part no seems to be different here in this part of the world

But actually I think I'm using the Nissan std filter at the moment. I was lucky and found what's suppose to be the correct one, not too sure I can find it again though. Maybe it's just time to replace it... in fact I've been thinking about doing it some time now. I'll try that and see what happens!
Old 01-03-2005 | 06:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you have the VG30E which does not have the VTC system used in the VE30DE
Old 01-03-2005 | 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
you have the VG30E which does not have the VTC system used in the VE30DE
Oh...

Well at least I know now!
Old 01-03-2005 | 06:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Like Craig said, you don't have VTCs unless you have the VE30DE motor. If you are starting your motor in 0*F weather, then I'm VERY sure you'd hear some strange noises from your car. Now, if you crank your car up in 50 degree weather with the motor already warmed up and it still ticks, then I'd look into it. But, if it ticks for 10 seconds or less, I think you'd be ok. Make sure you are using 5w30 oil!!! Not 10w30 in such cold weather! Pop your hood and I believe it even tells you that on one of the labels under your hood.
Old 01-03-2005 | 07:28 PM

does your engine look like this?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...86_39_full.jpg
Old 01-03-2005 | 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
NO, it says in his profile VG30E

go away
Old 01-03-2005 | 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
NO, it says in his profile VG30E

go away
yeah but one of the other guys in (I forget what country) has a 91 with a VE.
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:12 PM

yeah but one of the other guys in (I forget what country) has a 91 with a VE.
New Zealand, logan91ve

I assume if he knew the engine code (in his profile), he knew which engine he had
Old 01-04-2005 | 12:18 AM

.......In the beginning I said to mi off-ski friend:

"Back at work? I think we scandics miss that VTC sweet..."

-Well, currently All the forum scandics have the VG30E = no cracked carrots to worry, to buy, be $orry. And what is VTC for? Sound effects? ...I like quiet purr...
Old 01-04-2005 | 01:16 AM

Nope. Mine looks different. I'm sure it's a VG30E coz it says so in the registry papers for the car
Old 01-04-2005 | 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Like Craig said, you don't have VTCs unless you have the VE30DE motor. If you are starting your motor in 0*F weather, then I'm VERY sure you'd hear some strange noises from your car. Now, if you crank your car up in 50 degree weather with the motor already warmed up and it still ticks, then I'd look into it. But, if it ticks for 10 seconds or less, I think you'd be ok. Make sure you are using 5w30 oil!!! Not 10w30 in such cold weather! Pop your hood and I believe it even tells you that on one of the labels under your hood.
I am using 5w30 I belive... I've read up on the oil bible and I think he's right about everything but oil change. According to the author an oil change isn't necessary for like what was it... 20.000 miles? That's way too much according to me. I do it every 10.000 miles. Oil, filter and plugs every time. And it's about time now anyway so that's probably the reason for that sound, I guess.
Old 01-04-2005 | 01:25 AM

Nope. Mine looks different. I'm sure it's a VG30E coz it says so in the registry papers for the car
Just wanted to make sure. I'm not entirely sure how all of the non-USDM maxipads are setup (like Logans).

Anywho, that happened on my friends VG when he was using a Pennzoil (fram rebadge) filter. What kind of oil filter are you using? Went away when he switched over the the Wix filter.
Old 01-04-2005 | 01:36 AM

Just wanted to make sure. I'm not entirely sure how all of the non-USDM maxipads are setup (like Logans).

Anywho, that happened on my friends VG when he was using a Pennzoil (fram rebadge) filter. What kind of oil filter are you using? Went away when he switched over the the Wix filter.
I don't remember what filter it is at the moment... I know I had to go through hell to find the Nissan recommended one. I think it's some replacement for the original one. Just like the VE filters they've stopped making it it seems, or at least they've stopped selling it in sweden. Pennzoil doesn't exist here either as far as I know. I have to look into what options I have...
Old 01-04-2005 | 04:25 AM

I don't remember what filter it is at the moment... I know I had to go through hell to find the Nissan recommended one. I think it's some replacement for the original one. Just like the VE filters they've stopped making it it seems, or at least they've stopped selling it in sweden. Pennzoil doesn't exist here either as far as I know. I have to look into what options I have...

Go to full synthetic.

Nissan filter works on my VG...
Old 01-04-2005 | 05:23 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I am using 5w30 I belive... I've read up on the oil bible and I think he's right about everything but oil change. According to the author an oil change isn't necessary for like what was it... 20.000 miles? That's way too much according to me. I do it every 10.000 miles. Oil, filter and plugs every time. And it's about time now anyway so that's probably the reason for that sound, I guess.
That only tests the thermal breakdown of certain oils. It doesn't test if it's dirty. You should change your oil every 3K miles!!! Unless it's synthetic, which I wouldn't recommend for such an old motor (above 150K miles). I change my oil and filter every 3K miles and it comes out dirty, but the lubricating properties are still in spec. I could go much longer, but I'd never do that to my baby.

Also, you don't have to change the plugs every 10K miles. I believe normal copper plugs should last 30K miles.
Old 01-04-2005 | 05:32 AM

That only tests the thermal breakdown of certain oils. It doesn't test if it's dirty. You should change your oil every 3K miles!!! Unless it's synthetic, which I wouldn't recommend for such an old motor (above 150K miles). I change my oil and filter every 3K miles and it comes out dirty, but the lubricating properties are still in spec. I could go much longer, but I'd never do that to my baby.

Also, you don't have to change the plugs every 10K miles. I believe normal copper plugs should last 30K miles.
Whooo... isn't every 3k miles a bit ambitious? I wanna drive my car, not just have it in the garage all the time The oil will be dirty after only 500 miles anyway, it's sort of the fate of it... but that doesn't mean it's useless or dangerous.

Oh well, I guess it depends. If you drive very rough and your engine is old, yeah it'd probably be a good idea to make an oil change every so often. In the racing world that's an everyday thing for example. About the plugs... same thing there, the more often you change plugs, the easier the car is to start, and the healthier it'll be. Once you get backfiring due to misfiring you'll blow your cat just like that... happened to my father once.
Old 01-04-2005 | 05:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Whooo... isn't every 3k miles a bit ambitious? I wanna drive my car, not just have it in the garage all the time

Oh well, I guess it depends. If you drive very rough and your engine is old, yeah it'd probably be a good idea to make an oil change every so often. In the racing world that's an everyday thing for example. About the plugs... same thing there, the more often you change plugs, the easier the car is to start, and the healthier it'll be. Once you get backfiring due to misfiring you'll blow your cat just like that... happened to my father once.
Please just read your maintenance schedule. Change your dino oil every 3K miles. Take care of your car. I bet your 10K mile old oil comes out completely broken down and sludgy!! No wonder you have lifter ticking noise during start up.
Old 01-04-2005 | 05:45 AM

Please just read your maintenance schedule. Change your dino oil every 3K miles. Take care of your car. I bet your 10K mile old oil comes out completely broken down and sludgy!! No wonder you have lifter ticking noise during start up.
Okay okay, I'll trust you on that
Old 01-04-2005 | 07:22 AM

Okay okay, I'll trust you on that :D
Do so, but change as u used to :)) ...synthetic. Many new cars have maintenance lamps which take into account how u drive; THAT time varies on the variables.... If u have just digital flip flop turbo, hollywood tires, u change oil after few thousand km along with front tires.

Drove once with ford cosworth to Lisboa and back, full throttle, 6k km. As we returned, the car went to its first maintenace. My friend did not get it delivered in the afternoon: reason was, rear tire steel threads were flippin in the wind, they had to order new ones... I bet THAT oil change was long overdue.

"Everything moves" ;said the parrot in the fan... Hard drive needs hard measures.

Btw. Synthetic Mobil is overpriced here, so find smtg else.