3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Neeed a shaving idea.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Neeed a shaving idea.

Aight, I'm shaving everything. But now the question is what do u all think about shaving the gas door? Shaved has his behind his left tail lights. I was thinking about.
A. leaving it alone(because I'm getting lazy at this point.)
B. Replacing it with a flush mounted brushed sparco cap.

Does anyine have any other ideas?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:38 PM

They both sound like good ideas, although doing the same thing as Shaved is kind of unoriginal. Besides moving it or replacing it with a cooler one, the only thing I can think of is to maybe install a fuel cell and/or go JGTC-style with the filler cap in the middle of the trunk. That's a little extreme, though. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I'd go with hiding it somewhere, but there aren't really any good places besides the taillights. Good luck with that, and make sure you get some pics up soon. Sounds like you've got a decent project going.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Shave the back two doors!

I like the gas filler behind the tail light trick. Always a very trick mod
Old 01-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do a flip-up/down license plate thing like some domestics have. I always thought that was pretty cool. Ours would probably be too low for that though.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Aight, I'm shaving everything. But now the question is what do u all think about shaving the gas door? Shaved has his behind his left tail lights. I was thinking about.
A. leaving it alone(because I'm getting lazy at this point.)
B. Replacing it with a flush mounted brushed sparco cap.

Does anyine have any other ideas?
well I would leave it alone just because its a pain in the butt to do. It will look good with the rest of your car though.

I did the sparco cap deal...well I am not finished with it but close. I will take some pics in the next week or so when it is a little more of a finished product.

Originally I shaved it but I couldnt get the hinge to work like I wanted with the factory light (yeah I should have tried that first before I shaved the thing lol). Then I figured since I wasnt going to drive the car much I would put it in the trunk. Finally I decided to sell the car (when I got this 92) so I decided to do the round gas filler so it will be easier to sell (who wants to buy a car they have to fill up in the trunk?). I am probably going to paint it body color though so it will not stand out like it would if I left it brushed AL. I actually thought about filling it in where the bolts were as well and just leaving a flush round gas filler. That is actually what I will probably do but just havent decided yet.

Hopefully I will be finished with it in a week or so and I will post some pics or send them to you directly.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
Do a flip-up/down license plate thing like some domestics have. I always thought that was pretty cool. Ours would probably be too low for that though.

I looked into it and its too low for it to work
Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

shave the door bumpers.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Already in the prceoss of that.
Originally Posted by zoltan
shave the door bumpers.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Hmmmmm... The filler behind the tail light is tempting. I'm just concerned about vaprs escaping and a small arc from a bulb.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:08 PM
mod or sell?

relocate it to dead center of the trunk lid, like a real race car
Old 01-05-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
relocate it to dead center of the trunk lid, like a real race car

i always like juans relocated gas filler. however you don't want to copy him and there really isn't many other reasonable places to relocate it. i suggest you leave it be. i like the way our gas doors mould to the body lines.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:00 AM

did you shave the antenna yet?, like get one of the lil ones from a VW or a bimmer
Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM

shaving the antenna is nice too. mine's shaved but my radio reception is virtually non-existent without the stock head unit. i'll eventually get around to adding in a new antenna one of these days.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:32 AM

i am thinking about shaving my door handles and relocating the keypad under the mirrors with hydrolic door kickers i did get a quote for 2800 is that overcharging with paint and everything?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by twinkle
did you shave the antenna yet?, like get one of the lil ones from a VW or a bimmer
I'm in the middle of that too, but I can't find the whole antenna housing for a bimmer one, all I can find is the just the actaul antenna.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:10 PM

WAY Too high, probubly because u want hydro poppers, I just have electric seliniods that are popped by my alarm.

Originally Posted by livnlfe2damax89
i am thinking about shaving my door handles and relocating the keypad under the mirrors with hydrolic door kickers i did get a quote for 2800 is that overcharging with paint and everything?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

WAY Too high, probubly because u want hydro poppers, I just have electric seliniods that are popped by my alarm.

I dont think its too much considering he said painted and everything. Heck a good paint job can cost up to 2k in certain areas. If its a high end shop and they are shaving the stuff and installing everything (moving the keypad and all) and putting a high quality paint job on at the same time then I think its a "fair" price. Not a good price mind you but not over priced either.

Now if its just some rinky dink shop that isnt going to do a super job then yeah its over priced.

When I shaved my antenna I looked into a powered antenna that can go inside the cap. I beleive Jason has one of these. I have Sirius (have sirius ready kenwood HU and got the sirius box with antenna for $30 so lets not start the sirius/XM war here lol) now so I dont even listen to my regular radio any more anyway.

btw I think shaving the antenna is one of the nicest "little" mods for this body style. It really cleans up the quarter panel.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

on another note I havent addressed. If you were to put the gas filler behind the tail light I wouldnt consider it copying Juan. That is a very common thing to do for customizers. Sure since the tails are the same then some may consider it copying but the tails make no difference to me. That is just the most convenient place to move the filler.

If you do it right and build a pocket like Juan did then you will be fine for vapors. You should have your lights and car turned off when you fill up so the vapors shouldnt ignite when you fill up. The gas will keep vapors from expelling after you close it up so you are fine there. Plus like I said if you build a pocket then a very small part could be exposed to the trunk and you can seal that off with rubber (where the hinges are) or just continue a seperate box that seals that off from the rest of the trunk as well.

Also of course I was kidding when I said leave it alone because its such a pain in the butt (like WRX tails arent?) but the truth is that the shaved filler looks really good imo. It cleans up the side and to me it looks funny if you have shaved handles and then there is this big square on the side of the car beside them. I think there is a blue car like that. Not making fun of that guys car (his opinions are probably different from mine) but to me if you are going to shave the handles then the gas filler has to go

Good luck I hope to see it in person some time after you finish.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 PM

it is a good shop the name is kootenai customs or kootenai county customs i have seen their work and it is top of the line they may have a web site im not sure i will post a pic of the max as soon as i get to a comp that i can download on >>
Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree - shaving the antenna is one of the most subtle, but effective things we can do for our cars. It really does lend well to our body style. You can order flat antennas from an audio shop and simply install it under the trunk lid to get your reception back - no need to do a BMW or VW 'little' antenna. That way you get the best of both worlds.

As for the gas - I couldn't come up with anything else so I'll throw this out there just for kicks.... Put it in the C-pillar (this is just moving it to a custom location tho), or in the rear door jam (hidden but you have to open door to fill-up).
Old 01-05-2005, 01:51 PM

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Isn't there a 2nd antenna in the rear window, above the defroster lines, and does it provide much of a signal? I know it probably is just a supplement to the exterior antenna, but did you guys leave that one hooked up when you shaved the other one?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by cole_grant
This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Isn't there a 2nd antenna in the rear window, above the defroster lines, and does it provide much of a signal? I know it probably is just a supplement to the exterior antenna, but did you guys leave that one hooked up when you shaved the other one?

yeah but when you put an aftermarket HU in you have to get an adapter for the factory antenna wire. That adapter does not use the antenna on the rear window.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Yeah, I have an aftermarket HU, too, and have the antenna adapter. I was just wondering, if I shaved one antenna and hooked up the other instead, how much of a signal would I get?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:27 PM

Thats something to ask in the AUDIO section.

Yeah, I have an aftermarket HU, too, and have the antenna adapter. I was just wondering, if I shaved one antenna and hooked up the other instead, how much of a signal would I get?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:31 PM

Alright, just thought that maybe you guys had tried it when you shaved your cars. Thanks, though.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:47 PM

....Yeah I'm convinced the filler door must go, and the tail is the only option. MORE WORK. Bah. I get in the middle of body work and things start breakin.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:34 PM

....Yeah I'm convinced the filler door must go, and the tail is the only option. MORE WORK. Bah. I get in the middle of body work and things start breakin.
what broke?

and before you weld anything closed make sure that the taillight and filler work properly. i bought a spare filler(4th gen), the tubing is a little smaller, not that it matters) and only once it was all good did i take out the stock stuff. you may want to find a local hydraulic hose place and buy gas-rated hosing from the in the same diameter(its like 5 bucks a foot but well worth it) the hose looks kinda like the stuff at gas stations
Old 01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

you know what would be REALLY cool? shave Cadillac Seville headlights in. They look like they are close to the general shape of the headlight/corner light area. I dunno if its possible, but it would be pretty cool.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:54 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I'm in the middle of that too, but I can't find the whole antenna housing for a bimmer one, all I can find is the just the actaul antenna.
If you want one off a bimmer, let me know which one. I have the parts catalog. Just give me rough application that you want to copy from(i.e., e46, e39, e38, e65...). I'll find you the part # if possible.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:02 PM

I always thought the same thing, but I'd think that the Caddy light would be a little too recognizable. It's always nice to stick within the Nissan family, too, like with the Cefiro conversion.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by CamryKilla
you know what would be REALLY cool? shave Cadillac Seville headlights in. They look like they are close to the general shape of the headlight/corner light area. I dunno if its possible, but it would be pretty cool.
just to clarify, the term shave means to remove an unwanted thing or things. shaved handles means they are not there.
shaved gas door means it is no longer there
shaved plastic trunk piece means it is no longer there

you can't shave other type of headlights in. you can swap them, you can convert them, you can even retrofit them, but not shave them. and while im on the subject of misused terms, i have HYDRAULICS, not bags, not air, not cylinders.
the latter obviously isnt steered at you, its just another one of those terms used that no one really know what they mean, it just sonds cool to say because they heard it on tv.in no way am i saying any of this to be mean, i just hope that clears things up for everyone
Old 01-05-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
just to clarify, the term shave means to remove an unwanted thing or things. shaved handles means they are not there.

you can't shave other type of headlights in. you can swap them, you can convert them, you can even retrofit them, but not shave them. and while im on the subject of misused terms, i have HYDRAULICS, not bags, not air, not cylinders.
the latter obviously isnt steered at you, its just another one of those terms used that no one really know what they mean, it just sonds cool to say because they heard it on tv.in no way am i saying any of this to be mean, i just hope that clears things up for everyone
I didn't even catch that when I read it. So, what kind of hydraulics setup do you have in your Max? I saw your pics, but only the trunk shot showed any of the equipment.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:02 PM

They man has spoken! I wasn wondering how to shave head lights, lol.
Good idea about going to a hydrolic shop for a hose.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:57 PM

I didn't even catch that when I read it. So, what kind of hydraulics setup do you have in your Max? I saw your pics, but only the trunk shot showed any of the equipment.

hydraulics are hydraulics for the most part. you need a punp to raise the car and a dump to lower it(in its basic for it's 2 pumps(one front one rear) and four dumps(individual corners)) then you can either have springs, which will give your car that 90's dre video bounce when driving, or accumalators(what i have) which absorb the bumps in the road. then you need deep cycle batteries to power the whole thing, anywhere from 2 to 16, depending on how crazy you want to go, again, avg is 4. if youre still interested you can check out layitlow.com , good info and pics there
Old 01-06-2005, 06:22 AM

the sig pic is crazy juan! i don't know how you do it mang.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ummm... thats a good price just for a paint job alone, Id be worried that its too low for all that work, but if they do good work Id be all over that deal.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i have HYDRAULICS, not bags, not air, not cylinders.
don't lie man..we know you have can-overs.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
don't lie man..we know you have can-overs.
stop confusing people! we all know you have a camry, not a 3rd gen, . ..........got pics?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

stop confusing people! we all know you have a camry, not a 3rd gen, . ..........got pics?
haahaaa...yeah i be rocking the camry...1MZ ownz!

the 1UZFE is not bad either.

pics? maybe i'll attend a meet in the spring/summer.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
haahaaa...yeah i be rocking the camry...1MZ ownz!

the 1UZFE is not bad either.

pics? maybe i'll attend a meet in the spring/summer.
NO WAY! maybe i need to finnish my car up so i can see

Quick Reply: Neeed a shaving idea.