3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Why is error code 21 showing up? Only dealer can fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why is error code 21 showing up? Only dealer can fix?

21 Ignition signal in the primary circuit is not being entered to the ECU during cranking or tuning.
I fixed the o2 sensor white wire it had a bad connection in it. code 33 was the only code showing up. I fixed o2 sensor now code 33 and code 21 are present. It says in the book only the dealer can check this and fix it. Is this true? Is it harmful to run with this code? What causes this code? and how do you reset the o2 sensor code?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 AM

i believe to reset the code you switch to diagnostic mode 4 then turn the screw full clockwise. wait a few seconds then turn it back full counter-clockwise.
it's not harmful to run with a code. it just means that something is malfunctioning. your ecu isn't going to blow up if you're flashing codes.
there's a lot of things only the dealer is supposed to service, that doesn't mean any of us here listen though. if your ignition signal circuit is bad, go through the diagnostic steps and sort out what's causing the issue. without my fsm handy i won't be too much help but the ignition signal is composed of a lot of things. i think that if your car is running fine and starts up like it should that you should just erase the code and wait for something to go wrong before you start trying to solve the problem. in my experience our OBD1 computers aren't very good and tend to spazz a lot.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by -shock211-
.... in my experience our OBD1 computers aren't very good and tend to spazz a lot.
Met my Soulmate...

The diags and error codes are designed. However, old car random harness 'oxidation codes' were not included, also fifty codes cannot explain hudreds of possibilities. By this time these 'olds' should be all in junkyard, by mfg standards. The oxidized connector/harness reduces signal levels so low that they all the time flipflop over and under ECU tresholds. 'Nothing' is needed to trip a code.

Any car 'living' after five years is a 'faulty design': they will not produce any revenue. This is not evil nissanspeak, but generally all car manufacturers 'policy'.

I made a collection on electronics harness overhaul on old nissans, things that I had to go through before those randoms vanished, see my page.

After those maintenace procedures, my Nissan is HOT!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 PM

hmm... when i had my oh-so-common stalling problem everyone said it was vacume and coil packs, so i went and replaced those, but it didn't fix it... and my dumb mechanic didn't even know how to check ECU error codes..

so one day i pulled code 12 on ECU and replaced my MAF then the car has been running fine since.. so sometimes the ECU could be more reliable than your local mechanic.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
so sometimes the ECU could be more reliable than your local mechanic.
i strongly agree with that!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
hmm... when i had my oh-so-common stalling problem everyone said it was vacume and coil packs, so i went and replaced those, but it didn't fix it... and my dumb mechanic didn't even know how to check ECU error codes..
I hope you didn't pay your mechanic for coil packs on your 91 GXE since VGs have standard distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.