3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i have three questions any help appriciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 08:53 PM

my first ?? is when i am standing still and my wheels are turned and i accelerate it feels like my car is giong to stall any ideas?? second when i mash the gas pedal down the orange P on the comfort power switch lights up is that normal and i havent noticed it?? lastly my exahst smells like rotten eggs and i know that means new catalytic converter but i just had the car inspected(in jersey and any one who lives here know what a ***** that is) and the lady at the dmv said i have the lowest emission numbers she has ever seens what should i do??
Old 04-24-2001, 09:09 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

im in jersey too...im guessing you failed emissions...get a new cat and get reinspected and problem solved
Old 04-24-2001, 09:18 PM

The only definitive answer that I can give is that it is completely normal for the Perf. light to come on when you floor it. That is just the transmission automatically shifting into perf. mode for max power.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I would imagine that the smell is the converter going/ gone bad. If your car is warm, anything that the converter doesn't catch will be taken care of by the heat of the exhaust. Your converter may also be partially clogged, thus restricting exhuast flow, which would seriously hurt performance, and may explain the feeling that it will stall. As said before, replace cat. and see if that solves the problems, definately a starting point.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:17 PM

If you have the wheel turned to lock, you are pushing the powersteering pump hard. When you are not moving this will draw a lot of power from the engine. If your idle is low, it could make it feel like it is going to stall. If your idle is low ( in park or neutral it should be ~750 or so), you may want to have it bumped up 50-100 rpm. Personaly I like the rumble the vg makes *just* above stalling rpm.

the power light coming on is normal

if you PASSED emmisions I would not worry about the cat. If you plan on doing any sort of exhaust mods (y-pipe, exhaust) just do it all at once. it will save you money on labor.

hope this answers your questions.

Fro

Originally posted by JMF 007
my first ?? is when i am standing still and my wheels are turned and i accelerate it feels like my car is giong to stall any ideas?? second when i mash the gas pedal down the orange P on the comfort power switch lights up is that normal and i havent noticed it?? lastly my exahst smells like rotten eggs and i know that means new catalytic converter but i just had the car inspected(in jersey and any one who lives here know what a ***** that is) and the lady at the dmv said i have the lowest emission numbers she has ever seens what should i do??
Old 04-25-2001, 08:20 PM

I had the same smell problem. I was told my my dealer (very reliable) that it's unusual for the cat to go. They pointed me at the oxygen sensor or canister. I changed the O2 sensor and now it's gone 99% of the time. Seems some tanks of fuel may have a higher sulfer content that occasionally causes the odor.

Maybe worth considering O2 and canister IMHO.
Old 04-26-2001, 07:22 AM

Try switching brands of gas

TickTock hit the nail on the head. There was a thread some time ago on the 5th Gen forum about high sulfur content in some brands of gasoline. This was a widespread problem in Canada. I'd try that before I go throwing a new Cat at it. When you mash the gas the tranny automatically "senses" your intended driving style and changes to the appropriate mode.