3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

can your maxima talk??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 07:52 PM
killamaxi

hey yo wassup yall...hey the other day i was outside washing my max..and my neighbor came over and told me that he use to have a maxima...and it use to talk...it would say things like tell you when your door is open and tell you when your gas is low..i dunno ...he said that it workz for all maxima's 1985 till now..i dunno can sombody confirm this!!!

Old 04-25-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by killamaxi
hey yo wassup yall...hey the other day i was outside washing my max..and my neighbor came over and told me that he use to have a maxima...and it use to talk...it would say things like tell you when your door is open and tell you when your gas is low..i dunno ...he said that it workz for all maxima's 1985 till now..i dunno can sombody confirm this!!!
was your friend on any medication? my maxima doesn't talk to me, well...not yet at least
Old 04-25-2001, 07:59 PM
Maxima Princess

I believe the 2nd gens...not sure of exact years maybe 85-88 had a computer system in them that would tell you certain things, like if you door was ajar or seatbelt not hooked up etc...so to answer your question...yes some maxima's really do talk.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:12 PM

Mine has VTC "shivers" when its cold. I guess you could say thats talking..
Old 04-25-2001, 08:31 PM
Tom

Yes

1st and 2nd gen Maximas did talk. (We had an '84). It was called the Voice Warning System. The four most commonly heard phrases were "Key is in the igntion", "Door is ajar", "Fuel Level is Low", and "Lights are On".

It was a bit gimmicky (probably why it was discontinued), but 80's 200SXs, as well as the Z had this feature also.

"Key is in the igntion" got annoying after awhile as that was the only phrase you couldn't defeat.

However, one I did like was "Fuel level is low". The Nissan engineer that programmed the logic for this warning was pretty clever. When the tank got below 1/4, it would say it once. Then when it was really really about to run out of gas (like you can only go a couple of miles), it said it again.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:04 PM
91 BlackSE5spd

My friend had a 2nd generation maxima, and yes it did talk, I thought it was pretty cool when I first heard it, instead of the ding most cars have it would tell you your door was open. After a while though the voice gets really annoying, thank god they discontinued this feature before they made the 3rd gen maximas

Old 04-25-2001, 09:24 PM
Get Off My Lawn

My '87 SE didn't talk to me! Hmmmm, maybe she didn't like me?
Old 04-25-2001, 09:31 PM

My Maxima doesn't talk but I know it growls when I put my foot down....... So in a way it does! ....
Old 04-26-2001, 06:56 AM

I had one too

Had a black 87 SE. Some were very annoying. "Lights Are On" was kinda handy on those hazy days that you forgot you turned them on. I did like the "Feul Level Is Low" warning also. She didn't have much of a sense of humor. I think she's related to that woman on The Weakest Link game show.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:06 AM
custmmax

haha

Yeah i remember, i used to have a 83' 280z that talked.. had one of those little boxes with a tiny thick record thing like what old stuffed animals used to have that it played the phrases off of.. the computer would select which track it needed to play for what situation, and it would play through the factory speakers very quietly.. i remember the low fuel one too.. pretty neat idea, too bad they didnt go farther with it today..

Old 04-26-2001, 01:00 PM

Mine talks alright...

He says 'Push the pedal down to the floor. Down shift and step on it. I can take that Neon.'

Or maybe thats in my head...hmm...
Old 04-26-2001, 01:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

AHHHHH.........

that feature was SOOOOOOOO annoying! my dads '83 used to talk and since he always ran the gas to "E" all I'd hear was "Gas is low"....(*repeated 50,000 times*)...OMG, I'd wake up in the middle of the night saying "Gas is low, gas is low"
Old 04-26-2001, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How about being able to talk to your car...

The new Q45 with voice recognition controls... Although I'm sure that would be a beast to have fixed or repaired...
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 AM

Old thread but i just came across this is it possible to hook it up in the 3rd gens? and plus my car will not lock if the keep is still in it you gotta love that but i could do without it telling me that all day but i be you guys who had it never locked ur keys up in the car lol
Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM

There's a video on the Youtube from some guy who pulled one from an 80's model max and was testing it. Said he put it in several cars after that. I imagine you could to it but it would take some wiring research and it bound to be a PITA. Kinda like the digital gauges/HUD switch. Cool but a lot of work.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 PM

yeah im sure you can do it, but some people with Z's and other Nissans that talk just put tape over the speaker to shut it up lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Donating i30 Owner

i used to love the feature. I mean it was like having my girlfriend with me 24/7.... just when i think i can go for a drive and leave her behind.. She was with me in car spirit.

It was a cool feature, im sure with the advancement in technology, they can implement it on the newer cars with some more sophistication.. maybe have ability to slelect which items give voice warning. GAS low is a good one
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

84-88 maximas
some of the 80's 300zx'es

its indeed a cool feature but like sme ppl say its a pain in the *** annoying,

but still cool as hell when you pull up to a meet and open the door and she says sometin,

then ppl look at you like WTF LOL!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Holy old thread Batman!

But dang, seeing Maxmizd27's car in here sure brings back memories. One of the sweetest VE's ever. I love(d) that wing!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 AM

yah I remember my 87 max used to talk, and I thought it was a kool feature, cause most other cars would have the annoying ding. my friends would get in the car and and the voice would say somthing like: door is open, and everyone would be like what was that? I would just laugh. I was hoping that they put it in the 3rd gens. But once I drove a 3rd gen, I wasnt concerned with the voice thing anymore, I just loved the speed and the engine!! lol
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM

Pretty cool knowing that they have this back then on Maximas. Thumb up to Nissan engineers.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by maxmizd27
Had a black 87 SE. Some were very annoying. "Lights Are On" was kinda handy on those hazy days that you forgot you turned them on. I did like the "Feul Level Is Low" warning also. She didn't have much of a sense of humor. I think she's related to that woman on The Weakest Link game show.
Dope Assss 3RD GEN Max!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by maxinout93
yah I remember my 87 max used to talk, and I thought it was a kool feature, cause most other cars would have the annoying ding. my friends would get in the car and and the voice would say somthing like: door is open, and everyone would be like what was that? I would just laugh. I was hoping that they put it in the 3rd gens. But once I drove a 3rd gen, I wasnt concerned with the voice thing anymore, I just loved the speed and the engine!! lol
she is indeed related to the girl in my Garmin; "Recalculating.... Recalculating... Recalculating... Recalculating... Recalculating...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
she is indeed related to the girl in my Garmin; "Recalculating.... Recalculating... Recalculating... Recalculating... Recalculating...
i have a Garmin and thats the most annoying phrase i will ever hear, especially when i know a faster way and go against the GPS so i hear it 50 times

my Garmins getting to be a POS, i got the best model and this morning i called around to find Royal Purple ATF, found a place and plugged it into the GPS and there were some clouds in the sky and it couldnt find the sattelite signal after 45 minutes of trying i thought screw it and found it myself

then there was the time i searched for Home Depot and it took me to a 7-11
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Holy old thread Batman!

But dang, seeing Maxmizd27's car in here sure brings back memories. One of the sweetest VE's ever. I love(d) that wing!
is he still around? what happened to that thing?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:56 PM

I didnt mean to spark up this thread again lol my bad guys I just wanted to know if it was possible to hook it up in the 3rd gen.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

wtf is this in my 3rd gen for?... is it even OEM? haha

Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM

I had this in my '87 Nissan Laurel, got it from a parts car I bought (also '87) and did splice the wires to my other car.
I see no problem with adding this to a Max, except maybe the fuel level is low warning, that would probarly only work when its really low (when the fuel light comes on) and maybe the key is in the igniton, because it needs a switch in the igniton switch to activate.

I think it's a cool feature, maily because it's a rare thing, and even today when it would be real easy to implement, almost no car has it.

If I get by another set of it, I might install it in my Max
Old 08-21-2010, 01:36 PM

i would love to have one of those in my 94se. my dad had an 84 maxima with the voicebox in it. i loved that thing.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Seriously, do you guys realize how annoying that got? There's a perfectly good reason absolutely no modern cars have it.. and that's because it's beyond annoying and from a general consumer sense, it's downright cheesy.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
wtf is this in my 3rd gen for?... is it even OEM? haha

That an old cell phone mic and speaker. Those things are historic LOL!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Seriously, do you guys realize how annoying that got? There's a perfectly good reason absolutely no modern cars have it.. and that's because it's beyond annoying and from a general consumer sense, it's downright cheesy.
I totally agree... I hated that hooker robot voice telling me what I already knew. Glad they discontinued that feature. But It's was there selling point of the car at that time. "A talking Car" who knew we would grow to hate her.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by najee1062
That an old cell phone mic and speaker. Those things are historic LOL!!!
oh thanks for telling me wht it is.. ive been wondering what it is since i got the car. how do u use it? is it bluetooth compatible? lmao
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 AM

I had it in my Laurel for about 2 years, and loved it (it had an on/off siwtch if you wanted to turn it of)
But again, I love to have stuff in such an old car that at the time was "high tech" (and that's not even standard today), the Laurel was even delivered with rear parking sensors in Japan in the '80's, that would been super cool to get my hands on.
Just like the digital speedo and hud, not many cars have that, then to have it in a 20 year old car is awesome, in a new car it's not cool at all, because today it's easy to do, but still not many cars has it.

I really didn't think it was annoying, it did not talk that much, "Lights are on" if I forgot to turn off lights (if used at all, auto daylight here), and sometimes the "Fuel level is low", but then I often refuel before this even came on.

It's a cool option to show of to people that never encountered it before, usally I did this by openeing a door when driving so she said "Left door is open" and I got a big smile on my face

Another cool thing was the illuminated keyhole, I managed to get that too for my Laurel, rarely used, but handy in dark winter evenings, thought on my Max I have installed an aftermarket remote system (keypads going into my project car in the next weeks)
Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

We used to have a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo and it had the talking feature. I was young and always thought it was cool! Not sure how I would respond to it now but the New Yorker had an AOL sounding manly voice versus a robotic hooker voice.
phrases included
Door Ajar!
Dont forget your keys!
Dont forget your lights!
and lastly, You've Got Mail!
oh and "Aisles done!" aka Files Done but with the missing "F" just like AOL man said it!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Haha that would be kind of cool, when my car tells me the door is open I will be like "Yes baby, I will close your door" or when its low on gas you can say "Oh yeah, I will stick in my nozzle and fill you up."

I've always thought of my car as a girl, and now it can talk to me while I talk dirty to it. That would be a great life.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I miss my VE

For what its worth, my maxima use to have tranny chatter
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Holy old thread Batman!

Looks like the old (no longer available) Stillen Wing. I had one on my 3rd gen. Got it for sale!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 PM

your video link doesnt work, fixed it
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 AM

I'd love to put this in my car... when I was a kid my dad had a 2nd gen and he used to show us all the phrases by opening doors, etc and laughing at our reaction. His had a slightly different (more robotic) voice than the one in the video, though.

Quick Reply: can your maxima talk??