3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

OT: Almost run off the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 11:14 PM

I was cruisin home with my girlfriend at about 7:30ish. We were on the interstate, in the left lane passing some slow cars. I see this '92ish Lumina Euro gettin pretty anxious behind this semi. Right as I pass him, he gets RIGHT behind me. I mean I cant even see his head lights. I brake some to show my brake lights but he doesnt let off. He just gets closer. Well, I decide that the left lane is now the slow lane. I keep pace with the car in the right lane. Hes gettin ****ed now. I slow down to like 55. As soon as the car on my side gets in front of me, he gets on it and floors it. Watch this, I tell my girlfriend. I downshift from 5th to 3rd. Ahhh...not enough. He got a HUGE jump on me. I know I got more power and I can beat this guy but his jump was almost too much. He gets about an inch ahead of my front bumper. I start pulling on him pretty fast. I get my front bumper to his front door when he decides he wants in my lane. I swerve over so he doesnt hit me. I contemplate breezing right by him, but I think better of it. I got my girlfriend in the car and its not really worth it. I brake hard, he just misses me. I mean he was within inches of killing all 3 of us. I let him go and he flys in front of us. Theres 2 SUVs going about the same speed in both lanes. He gets a little room and snakes between them, just missing them too. I think if I wasnt with my girl, I probably given chse to him some more, but I didnt and Im alive to tell the story. I guess I made the right choice.

I dont think Ive ever been that close to getting run off the road or hit by someone intentionally. This guy obviously had to regard for his own life.

Just had to vent...
Old 04-30-2001, 03:54 PM

im sorry, but i have to admit your pretty dumb... if i was that duud i probably would have done the same thing. i cant stand slow idiots in the fast lane, and when you make it known that your doing it id wanna run you off the road too.. my 2.5 cents right there.
Old 04-30-2001, 06:11 PM

Well here's my opinion... I would have done the same thing as Jeff cuz I just dont like it when someone goes up my *** so what I do is slow down if they're gonna try and be tough and then when they try to pass on the right i smoke emm haha... We all have our styles its all good
Old 04-30-2001, 06:24 PM

Your job is not to govern traffic. The man did something stupid by being on your butt, you did something in return by trying to teach him a lesson, something that he, nor anyone else would see as justified. Road rage sucks, because I have to deal with the aftermath. Next time, either accelerate out of the way, let him merge into the lane from behind the truck or just let it go. Please drive safely. BTW, I am not defending the Lumina, he was stupid. You should have let it escalate though.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:39 AM

I realize the 'safe and proper' thing to do. I didnt do it. I didnt want/expect it to escalate to that either.

Its just that this guy was asking for it. All I was going to do was slow down, let him get in the other lane and blow right by him. End of story. I was just messin around with him. I wasnt raging. I didnt want him on my *** and I wanted to show him not to mess with Maximas. Its just like a bully in school, your just going to let him keep bullying people around and let him do whatever he wants. I sure as hell wasnt going to let him ride my *** for 3mi. So what if I accelerate ahead. Hes just going to try and ride my *** for as long as possible. And what if theres a cop ahead. He could see it as drag racing and pull me over. For what? Letting some guy bully me out of my lane? Giving in to pressure?

I know what I should have done. I dont know many other people that would have gotten out of his way or accelerated to let him by. Given another chance, Id do it again. If you ask people on this board 'What would you do if someone was tailgating you?'' I have a feeling most of them would say 'slow down' or something of that nature. Someone who tailgates obviously is very impatient and theres nothing Id rather do then make them a little later by showing them that tailgating a car wont make that car move any faster.

My $.03.
Old 05-01-2001, 03:19 PM

hmm..if someones tailgating me, i get out of their way and move over a lane.... i would speed up and move over. just like when i tail gate someone, i want them to speed up and get over. it just really ****es me off when someone is in front of me and does that on purpose, and i wouldnt do it to anyone else that was behind me, i think its just dumb. if i felt like being an idiot about it id let them over and then just gat back on there ***, but i dont think i would do that anyways..
Old 05-01-2001, 03:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

You should have just let by. If someone wants to go 100mph in the left lane then so be it. Let HIM get the ticket, not you. The left lane is the passing lane. Just let him tailgate you and get out of the way when you can. I get this all the time. If I'm coming up behine you and your not going as fast as me, get out of the damn way. That's what I do.

Don't take it personal, it probably wasn't personal until you decided to slow down in the FAST LANE.

Originally posted by Jeff91SE
I realize the 'safe and proper' thing to do. I didnt do it. I didnt want/expect it to escalate to that either.

Its just that this guy was asking for it. All I was going to do was slow down, let him get in the other lane and blow right by him. End of story. I was just messin around with him. I wasnt raging. I didnt want him on my *** and I wanted to show him not to mess with Maximas. Its just like a bully in school, your just going to let him keep bullying people around and let him do whatever he wants. I sure as hell wasnt going to let him ride my *** for 3mi. So what if I accelerate ahead. Hes just going to try and ride my *** for as long as possible. And what if theres a cop ahead. He could see it as drag racing and pull me over. For what? Letting some guy bully me out of my lane? Giving in to pressure?

I know what I should have done. I dont know many other people that would have gotten out of his way or accelerated to let him by. Given another chance, Id do it again. If you ask people on this board 'What would you do if someone was tailgating you?'' I have a feeling most of them would say 'slow down' or something of that nature. Someone who tailgates obviously is very impatient and theres nothing Id rather do then make them a little later by showing them that tailgating a car wont make that car move any faster.

My $.03.
Old 05-01-2001, 04:06 PM
KraZel

hmmm

I mean i feel u...it depends of what kinda mood i am in. If i'm doing like 75 in the fast lane and that wasnt good enough for someone behind me and i felt like being a jerk then i would of slow down too. But i hate when people go slow in the fast lane so to be nice i would of moved. It all depends in the mood i am in.