3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

quick help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:06 AM

quick help please

so i just found out that my MAF sesnsor is bad after talking with the mechanic that found the problem (he is a good mechanic) he said $500 total for my oil change (which was $20) and the computer scope amd the part and labor. now i know that part is laborless i mean give me a break it just pops off the filter and intake and you can put a new one on. my question is what should i do? is there somewhere cheap i can get a new one for less money than paying the mechanic? or does the ecu need to be set to the new MAF? i really dont want to have to spend $500.

P.S. if anyone is for whatever reason interested in why i take my car right now to a mechanic for oil changes its a very interesting story and also very hurtful for me but ill post if asked.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by killermax3
so i just found out that my MAF sesnsor is bad after talking with the mechanic that found the problem (he is a good mechanic) he said $500 total for my oil change (which was $20) and the computer scope amd the part and labor. now i know that part is laborless i mean give me a break it just pops off the filter and intake and you can put a new one on. my question is what should i do? is there somewhere cheap i can get a new one for less money than paying the mechanic? or does the ecu need to be set to the new MAF? i really dont want to have to spend $500.

P.S. if anyone is for whatever reason interested in why i take my car right now to a mechanic for oil changes its a very interesting story and also very hurtful for me but ill post if asked.

Try interneautomator's shop, prices drop...

Stories are read, give us.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:40 AM

and just to make sure the maf is just take off old and put in new right. no need to reset anything or recalibrate whatever.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by killermax3
and just to make sure the maf is just take off old and put in new right. no need to reset anything or recalibrate whatever.

MAF can be tested with multimeter:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/9

Old 02-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try calling up junkyard and ask for the part that you need, they usually have a network and if you mention that "do they know of any other place that might have it?" they will usually call up people in their network to get the part for you, I pulled one from a local junkyard for like 20 bucks, haven't tested it though , anywho, the new MAF should just plug in and be ready to go, but if you really want to safe side it, just disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnect, that works to reset the ECU. Good luck, and do post on why you go to shops to get your oil changed.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Way out West

Just so you know, all 3rd gens use the same MAF. It takes all of 10 minutes to replace it yourself. Just look for guys with parts in the for sale/wanted forum. If you don't see one for sale, post "WTB -- MAF for a 3rd gen" and someone will hit you up with a used one. I think generally they sell for <$50. Junkyards are good, too, like disgruntled said.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:16 AM
mod or sell?

A bunch of people have used ones for sale.
I sell new and remans
Old 02-16-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Just so you know, all 3rd gens use the same MAF. It takes all of 10 minutes to replace it yourself. Just look for guys with parts in the for sale/wanted forum. If you don't see one for sale, post "WTB -- MAF for a 3rd gen" and someone will hit you up with a used one. I think generally they sell for <$50. Junkyards are good, too, like disgruntled said.

Was amazed as reading -94 wirings: that MAF connector is wired diffrently from my -93 max... Is the FSM right...seems to have other fancy fabrications.