3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Crumple Zone

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 PM

Crumple Zone

Last night a 2001 sentra decided to feel up the rear end of my car. I was driving along with my friend and a minivan stopped really quickly. I stopped about 2 feet from hitting it. I had stopped so fast I knew whoever was behind me was going to hit me so I pulled up the e-brake left it in gear and let it stall and keep my foot on the brake. sho' nuff this sentra hits me. not right on but he swerves instead of braking hard so he clips the back on the drivers side, and stops about a car length in front of me.The stillen kit survived beautifully but the rest of the back was punished. The kid had insurance thank God. And i just upgraded to full coverage just in case because of all this work i just did. I WAS TAKING IT TO GET PAINTED NEXT WEEK!!

this is all i had done in the past two monthes:
Stillen kit
cross drilled slotted front back w/pads
18 inch Riax 5G's and tires
Tokico's
double din Pioneer
6x9 4 way pioneers
autostart/alarm
35% tint
newer "colder" intake
sub in back is straight
did some engine repairs

I have a feeling this thing is going to be totalled. If so im screwed. Tell me what you all think. my pics are on CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/403512/8

dont know how to post pics(would appreciate if someone could explain how to do that).
Oh yeah i went to the hospital today cus my neck was sore. they said there was muscle spasms or some crap.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:22 PM

Depends on the insurance company.
I've seen worse.If they do total it you
maybe able to buy it back from them.
They may also allow you to keep it.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:23 PM

that sucks
Old 02-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

ouch...sorry to hear...good luck with it.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:06 PM
I will eat your children

go to a yard, cut out a rear quarter pannel, and have it welded in, most insurance companies would probally total it in my opinion
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 PM
mod or sell?

that'd be a total.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:24 PM

how to insert pics

to insert pics do this

[IMG]picture url in here[/IMG] make sure IMG is capitalized.....
or go to advanced by clickin that button. then in there click the littel yellow box with a mountain and a sun and then paste the url of the picture in there. there you go, now if you could paypal me $20 i would appreciate it.

ps that sucks about your car, i have some damage to mine as well im getting it fixed this week.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

totaled but id take the money and do what ozz said and go to the junk yard and have them cut off the quarter and the body shop you were going to have you car painted at should be able to get it back into shape and maybe youll make some money off of it
nice max though i miss white
Old 02-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Find another VE and swap everything over....
Old 02-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ozzombie13
go to a yard, cut out a rear quarter pannel, and have it welded in, most insurance companies would probally total it in my opinion

its not just the quarter panel. its some of the stuff in the trunk too, like the spare tire wheel well, and parts around there..
it looks like a total, if I were you I would start taking off parts now...
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 PM

that would be very close to total. Good luck homie.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM

[IMG]javascript:ShowImage('http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=FF0000&migration=1&imag e=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/403000-403999/403512_87_full.jpg', 575, 461);[/IMG] [IMG]javascript:ShowImage('http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=FF0000&migration=1&imag e=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/403000-403999/403512_81_full.jpg', 575, 461);[/IMG]

insurance is of the devil

hey it didnt work.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:53 AM
Im izz sexay

rookies.....

Old 02-21-2005, 05:33 AM

HEY how'd u do that? ive been trying for years
Old 02-21-2005, 05:34 AM

take out the red stuff. [IMG]javascript:ShowImage('this needs to be a real url like http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...12_87_full.jpg);[/IMG]
so take out

javascript:ShowImage
('
')
;

that stuff is a function for cardomains site to display pictures easily. all you would need to do is open the picture in your browser, i assume youre using internet explorer and then right click the picture and do copy link or copy picture location or whatever it asks, i havent used IE in awhile. anyway then paste that inside the [IMG][/IMG] tags.

and it should work like the ill ridah did.

if you cant get it after that......keep practicing becauase you can preview your post before you submit it. i understand everyone has to learn sometime. im a network admin and i also handle trouble shooting for all users of our 90 some computers, so i can have patients with that, but if someone comes along and is like "how hard is it to swap the VQ in a 3rd gen, or can i make it RWD?" that type of stuff i dont even care if youre new, learn to read. but you, ill help.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:29 AM

thanks captain.

at least i can get the smiley's to work.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 AM

.jpg is the end of the url.

take out that ,575, 471 crap thats still javascript lol

then youll be the captain......err something
Old 02-21-2005, 08:34 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
Last night a 2001 sentra decided to feel up the rear end of my car. I was driving along with my friend and a minivan stopped really quickly. I stopped about 2 feet from hitting it. I had stopped so fast I knew whoever was behind me was going to hit me so I pulled up the e-brake left it in gear and let it stall and keep my foot on the brake. sho' nuff this sentra hits me. not right on but he swerves instead of braking hard so he clips the back on the drivers side, and stops about a car length in front of me.The stillen kit survived beautifully but the rest of the back was punished. The kid had insurance thank God. And i just upgraded to full coverage just in case because of all this work i just did. I WAS TAKING IT TO GET PAINTED NEXT WEEK!!

this is all i had done in the past two monthes:
Stillen kit
cross drilled slotted front back w/pads
18 inch Riax 5G's and tires
Tokico's
double din Pioneer
6x9 4 way pioneers
autostart/alarm
35% tint
newer "colder" intake
sub in back is straight
did some engine repairs

I have a feeling this thing is going to be totalled. If so im screwed. Tell me what you all think. my pics are on CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/403512/8

dont know how to post pics(would appreciate if someone could explain how to do that).
Oh yeah i went to the hospital today cus my neck was sore. they said there was muscle spasms or some crap.
I had almost identical damage to my car. I took it to a shade-tree shop, and the fixed it with a frame pulling machine, and some bondo. Looks good as new now. I'm not sure of the cost, but I think it was less than $2000, so you might be okay.

However, they may want to total it, because if they get an estimate, a major body shop is gonna want to cut and weld on a new quarterpanel, and that might come out to be more expensive than the frame work + bondo.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:03 AM

YAY, Who's the master,
thanx man.

i got the police report today. The kids description was pitiful. He put that he heard a screech tried to get in the other lane but couldn avoid hitting me. NO WHERE DOES HE SAY HE PRESSED HIS BRAKES!!!! idiot. He could have at least tried. Oh yeah it was an 02 sentra, not an 01.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
mod or sell?

****, that's him admitting fault.
which means (at least in illinois) they have to pay for damages and they don't get the option of totaling the car out without your ok.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That suxxx!!!!!! If I were you I'd buy it back from the ins. co., if totalled, buy another 3rd gen, and swap out all the parts. That way, you'll always have a parts car, too!
This scenario happened to my friend and his audi 200.
Good luck
Old 02-21-2005, 09:34 AM

nice and you learned how in just a shade under a decade......jk! now remember how you put those pics in here.

quick note. when i was rearended in my old audi I wasnt given the choice to total it or have it fixed, because it was more expensive to fix it then have it totalled. So the insurance company let me keep it and gave me what the blue book would have been if the car was in good shape. so i sold it for 500 and the insurance company handed me a check for 2100 bucks. im no expert, but that would probably be nice in your situation, keep the car and get paid what its worth. That way you'll be able to fix the stuff and have more dough for modding it up.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

That is probably at least $3-$4 grand in damage. Most likely a total unless you can convince the kid's insurance otherwise. ie.. get the value up over the total limit. You can give his insurance a list of mods/prices from the local paper. His insurance will want to pay you out the min amount. Don't accept the first offer. It's a sucker offer
Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I will eat your children

just keep fighitin with the insurance as long as you can stand it. if they still talk of total start tearin down and tryin to find anothe max. i hate insurance
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advice yall. A few more questions. My agent called me and was asking if i wanted them to go ahead and fix it (I have a $500 deductable) or if i wanted to wait for Gieco (the kids insurance) to contact me. I told her to contact his insurance to see what they were talking about. what do you think would be my best choice. Also as far as injury goes, my neck and shoulder still hurt, and now my friend says he's feeling sore too. How do i go about getting compensated for that. I went to the ER already they gave me a perscription and said come back in a week. What to do?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:56 PM

oh yeah i need a write up on the sig too!!

im trying new and exciting things here
Old 02-21-2005, 06:41 PM

LOL ok illl get ya a sig write up.

now for the insurance. why on earth would you pay 500 bucks for something that isnt even your fault

i mean crap make that kid pay for everything, if you hurt tell your agent and tell his, they will have to do something about it, because most likely you or he or both have insurance on yourself as well as the car.

how fast was that kid going when he blasted you anyway?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:51 PM
blacks92seAuto

you should sell me that front right black panel lol...mine for some reason gets tore up at my work, stupid shopping carts

Old 02-21-2005, 07:27 PM

OK ITS MADE. Now i only made this writeup because i feel bad for Obeewon taking it from behind....err i mean getting rearended....err i mean getting hit from behind...err you know what i mean.

enjoy
The OBEEWON signature maker writeup 2005

if its useless, its still worth a few laughs.....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:53 PM

Thanks alot. U are the man

Im not sure how fast the guy was going, but he wasnt doing the 40mph limit judging by where he stopped. After he hit me he stopped about a car length and a half in front of me. Either he was trying to coast to a stop or he was considering driving away. im estimating he was doing 50.

I had to buy that panel brand new when my wheel fell off while i was driving. I had just got my wheels aligned 2 hours before but somehow it was my fault? Im a student so i didnt have the time or resources to sue. i have terrible luck with this car. But ima rock it till the wheels come off(well stay off).
Old 02-22-2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
That is probably at least $3-$4 grand in damage. Most likely a total unless you can convince the kid's insurance otherwise. ie.. get the value up over the total limit. You can give his insurance a list of mods/prices from the local paper. His insurance will want to pay you out the min amount. Don't accept the first offer. It's a sucker offer
woah, you think insurance companies are going to pay for all your aftermarket mods? mods are not insured. some types of mods you can talk your way into getting paid for but if you give the insurance company a list of mods that add up to $4,000, they'll say your car is insured as a 9x maxima which has a blue book value of 3500 so heres your 3500. they won't give you any credit for mods as you can just take them off and keep them, but things like brake pads and new replacement parts can be used to get the value up higher. your wheels won't count nor will racing clutches and performance parts. it's just another maxima to the adjuster.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

I'm going from my last car total experience. I listed everything I did. ie.. act clutch/fidanza. If the insurance wants to see it as a stock clutch/flywheel replacement so be it. At oem Nissan prices, it's the same. Same for exhaust, suspension, engine etc....So I got value for a maxima in tip top shape.

Originally Posted by Hectic
woah, you think insurance companies are going to pay for all your aftermarket mods? mods are not insured. some types of mods you can talk your way into getting paid for but if you give the insurance company a list of mods that add up to $4,000, they'll say your car is insured as a 9x maxima which has a blue book value of 3500 so heres your 3500. they won't give you any credit for mods as you can just take them off and keep them, but things like brake pads and new replacement parts can be used to get the value up higher. your wheels won't count nor will racing clutches and performance parts. it's just another maxima to the adjuster.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:17 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Thanks for the advice yall. A few more questions. My agent called me and was asking if i wanted them to go ahead and fix it (I have a $500 deductable) or if i wanted to wait for Gieco (the kids insurance) to contact me. I told her to contact his insurance to see what they were talking about. what do you think would be my best choice. Also as far as injury goes, my neck and shoulder still hurt, and now my friend says he's feeling sore too. How do i go about getting compensated for that. I went to the ER already they gave me a perscription and said come back in a week. What to do?

Make sure that Gieco separates the medical and property claims, in fact, call them right now, and make them put you in a rental car.

And if you are hurt, MAKE SURE, your treatment and charges are complete before you settle the medical portion of your claim.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 AM

So basically rims tires, body kits etc. dont count? i have a decent amount of other things put in mechanical wise. Geico(the guys insurance) just called me. Im supposed to go to their adjuster tommarrow at 2:30. should i type up a list with prices?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 AM

they might consider somewhat but probably nowhere near what you paid or what they're worth. if totalled, i would definitely look into getting them to let you keep your car for no salvage fee. it's your car and it obviously isn't stock. not really fair for them to not consider your mods as much as they should and then try to sell it back to you. tell them your mods are worth any salvage fee.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm going from my last car total experience. I listed everything I did. ie.. act clutch/fidanza. If the insurance wants to see it as a stock clutch/flywheel replacement so be it. At oem Nissan prices, it's the same. Same for exhaust, suspension, engine etc....So I got value for a maxima in tip top shape.
did they give you a figure before you gave them the list of your mods? hopefully what you ended up with covered a good portion of the amount you spent on replacement parts.

don't want to hijack this thread..good luck with everything.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yes! Write down every little thing and add it up. If you do nothing, you will get exactly that. Nothing. Rims might not cout. But certainly new tires would. Hell put the wheels down too. How could it hurt.

So basically rims tires, body kits etc. dont count? i have a decent amount of other things put in mechanical wise. Geico(the guys insurance) just called me. Im supposed to go to their adjuster tommarrow at 2:30. should i type up a list with prices?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by Hectic
did they give you a figure before you gave them the list of your mods? hopefully what you ended up with covered a good portion of the amount you spent on replacement parts.
What exactly are you getting at? 1st offer $3000-ish. What I ended up with $6500 and my car back(ie..$8000-$1500 for the buy back). I "think" it was worth it.

don't want to hijack this thread..good luck with everything. if totalled, i would definitely look into getting them to let you keep your car for no salvage fee. it's your car and it obviously isn't stock. not really fair for them to not consider your mods as much as they should and then try to sell it back to you. tell them your mods are worth any salvage fee.
You can't have it both ways. You either accept the low value and get the car for cheap, or you hike the value for as much as you can and accept a little higher salvage value. It's usually a % of the total value that is determined. Sometimes it's different but the majority of the time, that's what it is. Sometimes the salvage value is only what a few local junk yards bid on it.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:05 AM

What exactly are you getting at? 1st offer $3000-ish. What I ended up with $6500 and my car back(ie..$8000-$1500 for the buy back). I "think" it was worth it.

Jeff, what exactly happened with your car? how were you able to get so much? i checked KBB this morning and it told me $39850 (92 SE 5spd, leather, abs, power all, etc)

Dont worry about hijacking man, i need all the info i can get so i dont get screwed. Appreciate all the suggestions folks, thanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

I had alot more work done but here is my list:

1992 MAXIMA 5-SP COSTS OF REPAIR AND MISC

ENGINE VE30DE
MILES: ENGINE = 60,000 MILES
BODY = 144,000 MILES

INTERIOR LEATHER. IN EXCELLENT CONDITION
DRIVER'S SIDE AIRBAG

EXTERIOR: METALLIC GOLD. IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

WORK HISTORY. NOT FACTORED IN AS THIS ENGINE IS NOT IN THE CAR
ON OLD MOTOR: N/A
75,000 MILES: NISSAN REPLACED VTC ASSEMBLIES N/A
85,00 MILES: REDID THE WORK THAT NISSAN SCREWED UP N/A
NEW CLUTCH, ACTUALLY DID TWICE BECAUSE OF WRONG PARTS N/A
NEW EXHAUST MANIFOLD STUDS N/A
NEW SEALS(TRANNY, MAIN, REAR,) N/A
HEAD GASKET N/A
EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS N/A
INJECTORS REMOVED AND SERVICED BY RC ENGINEERING N/A
NEWER MOTOR
143,000 MILES BOUGHT NEWER MOTOR 60,000 MILES $1,949.00
MAINTANCE ON THIS NEW MOTOR
NEW EXHAUST MANFIOLD STUDS $50.00
EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS $20.00
PERFORMANCE CLUTCH BY ADVANCED CLUTCH TECHNOLOGY
STREET CLUTCH KIT $320.00
AMSOIL SYNTHETIC TRANNY FLUID $60.00
ENGINE MODIFICATIONS:
K&N AIR INTAKE(CONE STYLE) $100.00
PERFORMANCE Y-PIPE (EXHAUST COLLECTOR) $220.00
PERFORMANCE CATALYTIC CONVERTOR (RT TECHNOLOGIES) $200.00
PERFORMANCE MANDREL BENT CAT-BACK EXHAUST $250.00
2000 YEAR NISSAN MAXIMA DUAL CHAMBER MUFFLER $200.00
SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS
EIBACH PERFORMANCE SPRINGS $300.00
TOKICO PERFORMANCE SHOCKS $210.00
ADDCO PERFORMANCE REAR SWARBAR $120.00
SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES FRONT SWAYBAR $130.00
1996 MUSTANG GT 17X8 RIMS $400.00
KUMHO 235-45-17" TIRES $535.00
OTHER MODIFICATIONS
STS SHORT SHIFTER $100.00
FM MODULATED 6 CD DISC CHANGER $100.00

NOW NONE OF THE ABOVE WORK EXCEPT FOR THE NEWER ENGINE HAS THE LABOR
INVOLVED IN THE INSTALLING OF ALL THESE REPAIRS/MODIFICATIONS.

TOTAL COSTS OF REPAIRS/MODIFICATIONS WITH ENGINE $5,264.00
TOTAL COSTS OF REPAIRS/MODIFICATIONS W/O ENGINE $3,315.00

Jeff, what exactly happened with your car? how were you able to get so much? i checked KBB this morning and it told me $39850 (92 SE 5spd, leather, abs, power all, etc)
What happened? Not revelant in this case. But someone rearended me. The only thing you need to know is the car was deemed a total and it was the other guy's fault. I got that much by being an **** and not accepting the first offer. You may not be able to get as much. But you should be able to get more than their first offer. (which is the point). You also have to do more work. ie.. autotrader, local newspaper, print ads for maximas for sale etc.... the highest ones you can find.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:59 PM

wow, seems like your list helped out a lot. they ended up giving you over double what their original quote was? and you got the car back along with everything that was used to jack to claim up? what insurance company? i'm insured with my dad who's an agent for state farm and he makes me skeptical about modding by telling me that the coverage on mods is pretty limited...it's probably just him scaring me out of turning my policy into a liability for him sounds like you fared pretty well jeff.

Quick Reply: Crumple Zone