3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1990 SE Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:27 PM
19904dsc

1990 SE Cruise Control

My cruise control does not engage after the Cruise Control switch on the dash is on and lited up.

Any ideas and advice? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:41 PM

Check your horn fuse. It is in some way connected to the cruise. Well, actually just see if your horn works and if it does then I must be wrong...hope that helped
Old 02-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Hi,

it could be your acsd control unit is bad or the acsd relay is burnt,

you may want to check both those and see if they are working or not,

if not then go to a local junkyard and buy one or the other,
Old 03-25-2005, 05:22 PM
nTm

No clueeeee !
Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by nTm
No clueeeee !
then why post?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by twinkle
then why post?
to ***** up why else

When I got my max 2 years ago, it didnt work as well. But I really didnt have use for it since I am manual and I seldemly cruise, just on long trips.

I have the same problem. The when I press the cruise control switch on the panel, the switch lights up, but when I try to use the cruise control, the buttons dont work on the steering wheel. Nothing lights up on the dash board. I gave up, but now its time to see what is the problem with it. Now that I am going long distances, wouldnt mined having it around for long long trips.

Any ideas fellas???
Old 03-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
Hi,

it could be your acsd control unit is bad or the acsd relay is burnt,

you may want to check both those and see if they are working or not,

if not then go to a local junkyard and buy one or the other,
Mine did the same thing.

I just bought the whole assembly from a junkyard and replaced it. Cruise works fine now.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by 19904dsc
My cruise control does not engage after the Cruise Control switch on the dash is on and lited up.

Any ideas and advice? Thanks.

The throttle actuator is vacuum powered. Check for the pump, hose, and actuator diaphgram for leaks.

Open hood, its front left, between that blk oil reservoir and ABS assy ---follow the wire from throttle assy...

Old 03-27-2005, 05:42 PM

I know this thread was for vg, but for VE Please. Wounders what the price might be for a working cruise control assembly. Is it difficult to change? Wiring issues?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:02 PM

always check the fuse.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:27 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Fellas, I had that same problem a while back (and again, most recently). Normally, I'd cut to the chase with my answer, but I think everyone should hopefully appreciate the path my troubleshooting went.

Basically, what was happening was when I pressed the cruise control switch on the dash panel, the switch as well as the "idiot light" in the instrument cluster lights up, but when I tried to use the cruise control (depressing "set" on the steering wheel), the cruise control wouldn't engage.

At first, after asking a few .org-y members, I thought it was the switch just above the brake pedal (can't remember the name of the switch, but looking in any Chilton's or Haynes manual will yield a wealth of results in that regard). So, after replacing that switch, I STILL had the same problem.

Then, after breaking out my DMM and doing a little testing, I found out that there was a small, electrical "pump" of sorts - should have some vacuum hoses connected to it, mounted just underneath the actuator (see circled item in pic) - that wasn't getting any power.

At first, I thought it was a fuse or relay that had went out. But testing both the fuse panel inside the car as well as the relays under the hood proved that theory to be false. So, on a 'lark', I bought the piece in question from a junkyard and replaced it. Viola!! Cruise was working again!!!

crazy4maxima - Izzy, my car is a VE, so this applies. I just used the VG pic because it was the easiest to use at the time. (thanks Wiking)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
.... I just used the VG pic because it was the easiest to use at the time. (thanks Wiking)

Now, the updated pic with easter egg... what will ? it be as it grows old enough. I was just lazily exPlaining its locAtion.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Fellas, I had that same problem a while back (and again, most recently). Normally, I'd cut to the chase with my answer, but I think everyone should hopefully appreciate the path my troubleshooting went.

Basically, what was happening was when I pressed the cruise control switch on the dash panel, the switch as well as the "idiot light" in the instrument cluster lights up, but when I tried to use the cruise control (depressing "set" on the steering wheel), the cruise control wouldn't engage.

At first, after asking a few .org-y members, I thought it was the switch just above the brake pedal (can't remember the name of the switch, but looking in any Chilton's or Haynes manual will yield a wealth of results in that regard). So, after replacing that switch, I STILL had the same problem.

Then, after breaking out my DMM and doing a little testing, I found out that there was a small, electrical "pump" of sorts - should have some vacuum hoses connected to it, mounted just underneath the actuator (see circled item in pic) - that wasn't getting any power.

At first, I thought it was a fuse or relay that had went out. But testing both the fuse panel inside the car as well as the relays under the hood proved that theory to be false. So, on a 'lark', I bought the piece in question from a junkyard and replaced it. Viola!! Cruise was working again!!!

crazy4maxima - Izzy, my car is a VE, so this applies. I just used the VG pic because it was the easiest to use at the time. (thanks Wiking)

Like I said before, this is the assembly (circled in Nupe's picture) I got from a junkyard and replaced. It wasn't very hard to do and I don't think I paid more than $25 for it at a U-Pull-It yard.