3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Why do brake lines have to break?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 PM

Why do brake lines have to break?

i cant believe this. i just replaced my gas line and got it all put back together and stuff. then i go to take it fr a test run, but when i start it up i always have my foot on the brake and it felt REALLY stiff. so i was like hmm. so i opened my door and hit the break and all i saw was this stream of fluid shooting out from underneath my car.... unbelievable!!! i really dont feel like ripping it appart and running another line, does anyone kno how much it costs to replace brake lines?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Im izz sexay

Are you loosing pressure when you press the brakes?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tonyklem
it felt REALLY stiff.
I throught if brake line break, your brake paddle would go down with very less resistance.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:27 PM

well, once it started up it would push down very easily and after i shut it down again it would also push very easily. it was just when i first got in it that the brake was very stiff. yes im losing pressure, and i can see the fluid spraying out of my car when i push the break petal.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Im izz sexay

where exactly is it spraying from?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:32 PM

right between the driver door and driver side passenger door. where the gas and brake lines run. i looked at it and i can see the line it is spraying from. i think i might be able to just cut a section out of it like 12 in long and patch it without taking it all apart again.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Way out West

I definitely think you should replace the entire line that has a leak. You are talking about your brakes, not the washer fluid here.

Oh, the word you guys are looking for is "pedal."

A "petal" is part of a flower.

A "paddle" is something you use to play ping-pong or propel a canoe.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Im izz sexay

I wouldn't suggest because of it being pressurized causing something even worse to happen. You might be able to replace the brake lines seems like it's the rear drivers side brakes. Check your brake fluid to see if it's low. Since you did you gas lines you may have pinched the brake line.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:02 PM

you're lucky you found out about the leak when you were still parked. it could have gotten very ugly if you were driving and lost the use of your brakes.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:02 PM

it's a good chance to change to stainless brake lines.. i've always wanted to get them, but i can't justify replacing the brake lines when;

a) everything works good now.. and
b) i ain't replacing anything else along with it
c) most important of all... my budget is running low..

so i'll hold that off for now...
Old 03-18-2005, 10:24 PM

How Much?

ten characters
Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
A "paddle" is something you use to play ping-pong or propel a canoe.
ping pong --->table tennis
Function: noun
: a game resembling tennis that is played on a tabletop with wooden paddles and a small hollow plastic ball

Merriam Webster's
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...tennis&x=0&y=0

What has this to do with the issue. Sorry. nothin....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest u take a hard look on u car rust situation. All places under those brake lines, rear wheel wells (up t here) might be in bad shape. Evaluate that before sinking more money.

Anyways, replace all rear brake lines to keep safe on the road. Check the wheel rubber hoses for cracks, replace if any. Brakes are most of the time useless dead weight, and mainly a blondie safety device. But it might happen that once in lifetime someone needs em...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:43 AM
STFU n00b!

SS brake lines right now don't really matter, but you are goign to have to have your system open already to fix the broken line.

I HIGHLY suggest buying the entire line from Nissan. all the people that have replaced those lines have said it's a total PITA to try to bend them, and I would recommend against splicing one because joints tend to leak..

If you really don't want to replace the whole line, then you can just pick up a couple feet of hose and a few splices and borrow a flaring tool... I still recommend against it though. more places to leak.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Wiking
ping pong --->table tennis
Function: noun
: a game resembling tennis that is played on a tabletop with wooden paddles and a small hollow plastic ball

Merriam Webster's
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...tennis&x=0&y=0

What has this to do with the issue. Sorry. nothin....
It has to do with the fact that English is probably your second language and you know it better than some of the guys who use it as their only language.

Two people use the words I mentioned in place of "pedal" when referring to the brakes on a car.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:45 AM

well ... welcome to rusted lines world
and re-place all lines together (about $25-35 each from Nissan) - there are 5 lines total (2 "brakes" and 3 "fuel" lines)
Old 03-19-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
It has to do with the fact that English is probably your second language and you know it better than some of the guys who use it as their only language.

Two people use the words I mentioned in place of "pedal" when referring to the brakes on a car.
"What has this to do with the issue. Sorry. nothin..." I meant only my text with that ping pong to tabel tennis -reference. My comment was same issue, diff words. Your comment was ok, mine was intended [sigh] as a joke. (I find paddle as funny word for a racquet -like tingie...)

Your comment was ok. Dont want u to feel offended, really. Or anybody else.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 PM

just about a week ago i had my breaklines break in the same spot, actually both rear lines broke, which i thought was weird, but anyways, i cut the bad section out and put an insert line with connectors, Cost about 15 dollars for 2 lines and 4 connectors from Autozone, took about an hour from start to finish, and works fine and no leaks, but when doing this you need to be careful not to break the line or any others lines anywhere else.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Psubird83
just about a week ago i had my breaklines break in the same spot, actually both rear lines broke, which i thought was weird, but anyways, i cut the bad section out and put an insert line with connectors, Cost about 15 dollars for 2 lines and 4 connectors from Autozone, took about an hour from start to finish, and works fine and no leaks, but when doing this you need to be careful not to break the line or any others lines anywhere else.
Its a good patch if the car is temporary , end of life. The rust is all over the system, still the nonreplaced parts will cont rusting, releasing flakes.

Better check out what is lawful; here that will not pass inspection.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:43 AM
94c Big Max

argh crap, I am having the same problem too guys at the exact same location tony mentioned, i.e. at underneath the passenger seat on the driver side. If I order the line from Nissan, how long and how many lines should I order? Is it easy to take them apart? I had so much rusts down there, I'd afraid I might do more harms than goods. I might just pay a local mech to do it. But I want to make sure I get the right parts first. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:37 PM

Our cars are great and all, but this problem is due to nissan skimping out on that section when spraying the undercoating. They sprayed the plastic shield and not the steel pipeing. A while back I removed the plastic sheild and removed all the rocks and pebbles that built up under there, probably 100 of them. I wonder if I clean the area well and put on some paint on undercoating to stop the rusting. What do you guys think, worth my while or what?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Lives in a Maxima

Holy crap, would you people quit resurrecting threads like this? This is the second time someone had me thinking Wiking came back until I looked at the dates on the posts.

If you were the original poster and resurrected it to close the idea, resolve the problem, etc, that's fine, but a "me too" to a year and a half old thread... come on now. I would expect this kind of behavior from a noob not from a donating member. tisk tisk
Old 08-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

funny mines broke about a month ago and i still havent got around to it and mine happened while driving, thnk god for down shifting and the slow acting ebrake... where can u buy these replacement lines
Old 08-27-2006, 02:54 PM

I didn't notice the date, this is an on going problem and people should be aware of it.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:03 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by eric93SE
Our cars are great and all, but this problem is due to nissan skimping out on that section when spraying the undercoating. They sprayed the plastic shield and not the steel pipeing. A while back I removed the plastic sheild and removed all the rocks and pebbles that built up under there, probably 100 of them. I wonder if I clean the area well and put on some paint on undercoating to stop the rusting. What do you guys think, worth my while or what?
you're right. mine got all kinda craps underneath too
Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My brake line went a little while ago on my drive to taco bell. That was exciting!

My dad helped me patch it with a 2 foot section of brake line. I didn't know nissan sells prebent ones I'll have to get those thanks guys!