3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Injector Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Fuel Injector Removal

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to remove a stubborn fuel injector from a VE? I have one on the #3 cylinder (yes under the damn intake plenum) that just doesn't want to come out. Any tried and true techniques for removal you'd like to share? I've tried PB Blaster, spinning, wiggling, etc.... I'm ready to drill the SOB out!!! Help!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well first off, calm down, you will harldly ever make progress being mad at your car. At least i dont anyways. Why do you need it out so badly and in a hurry?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
mod or sell?

pull the whole rail out and tap it out from the bottom up
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mtnbikeair
Well first off, calm down, you will harldly ever make progress being mad at your car. At least i dont anyways. Why do you need it out so badly and in a hurry?
The intake plenum is apart already and the injector is sitting there ready to be removed. I just replaced the number 1 injector one month ago. Probably should have done all three on the rear bank at that time. The first injector came out rather easily. This one is a major pain. My daughter drove it around for awhile before I got the call 'oh dad the check engine light is on again'! The cylinder was loaded up with fuel, so I bet that might have had a suction effect on the injector making it harder to be removed..... SUCCESS!! I finally was able to get it out by tapping a small screw driver between the injector body and the fuel rail and *gently* prying the injector out of the fuel rail. Well, not the best solution, but it worked. Hope this helps someone else out.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

You will ruin the pintle cap that way
Originally Posted by internetautomar
Old 04-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had a tough time with this too. i wrapped mine in cloth and then used locking vice grips to get a firm, but not firm enough to break the plastic, grip on the rectangular plastic block (the widest direction - so as to not be touching the plastic around the pins), took a lot of fine adjusting to get it just right, then held the vicegrip low near the plug and wiggled and pulled till it popped. u did depressurize the fuel system right? well its too late now anyway.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
i had a tough time with this too. i wrapped mine in cloth and then used locking vice grips to get a firm, but not firm enough to break the plastic, grip on the rectangular plastic block (the widest direction - so as to not be touching the plastic around the pins), took a lot of fine adjusting to get it just right, then held the vicegrip low near the plug and wiggled and pulled till it popped. u did depressurize the fuel system right? well its too late now anyway.
Hi,
Yes, I did depressurize the fuel system by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine a few times. Maybe not enough though. I did the same thing with the vise grips, but used those ratching pliers from sears without the cloth (dumb) and I was starting to break the plastic block on the old injector. That is when I started to get worried and thought I would post to see what others have done. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:11 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
who cares if you're placing the injector with a new/used one
Old 04-22-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
that's how i've done it about 4 times now on my vg
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
i put a socket on it that is just larger in diameter than the pintle cap. that way the pintle cap doesn't break while i tap the sucker out.