3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

removed part of intake, bad? feels like more kick

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 01:00 PM

hey,

ok, i removed the muffler looking piece underneath the maf sensor. it was bolted to the filter box. i blocked off the hole then, and it FEELS like i get a little better acceleration, and my revs rise quicker. what does this thing do? is it just a noise reducer? anyone know?
Old 05-12-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by flyry110
hey,

ok, i removed the muffler looking piece underneath the maf sensor. it was bolted to the filter box. i blocked off the hole then, and it FEELS like i get a little better acceleration, and my revs rise quicker. what does this thing do? is it just a noise reducer? anyone know?
i dont know if im sure what part your talking about. is it the part of the plastic tubing that connects to the airbox? if so then yes that is just an air resovior for noise reduction.
if you can be a little more descriptive, ill look in my car and see what part your talking about when i get it back.
you still have the stock air box right? one thing i did on an older car i had was to remove all the tubing going into the air box, so there was just the whole left in the bottom of the box from where the tubing was. then i drilled some holes in the bottom of the air box so more air could come in. then i droped a k&n in. i could actually feel a difference after i did it.
Old 05-12-2001, 03:40 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the intake muffler. It's right after the airbox, it's underneath the intake pipe, and once you locate it you'll know it. it IS bolted to the airbox. it looks like a big wierd plastic intestine or something. I was just worried that this served some useful purpose. i had to plug the big hole "bout 2" " in order for it to run right. that's cause it's after the MAF sensor. anyway, it seems like i got a little more top end. not enough to really make much of a difference though. I may do that intake thing you're talking about till i have the $ to buy a popcharger. the best way to describe where it is. find airbox, it's between where the hose exits airbox and where the tubing becomes bumpy, it's connected on teh bottom.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:31 PM

The part you are talking about is just used to quiet the air and serves no real purpose besides noise reduction.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the intake muffler. It's right after the airbox, it's underneath the intake pipe, and once you locate it you'll know it. it IS bolted to the airbox. it looks like a big wierd plastic intestine or something. I was just worried that this served some useful purpose. i had to plug the big hole "bout 2" " in order for it to run right. that's cause it's after the MAF sensor. anyway, it seems like i got a little more top end. not enough to really make much of a difference though. I may do that intake thing you're talking about till i have the $ to buy a popcharger. the best way to describe where it is. find airbox, it's between where the hose exits airbox and where the tubing becomes bumpy, it's connected on teh bottom.
ok, i know exactly what your talking about now. yes this is also for noise reduction. i dont think removing it gives any sort of gains.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:39 AM

i removed the intake pipe before the airbox, i know you don't get any real gains with this, but it sounds good now
Old 05-13-2001, 01:19 PM

i removed the intake pipe before the airbox, i know you don't get any real gains with this, but it sounds good now
actually thats what i was talking about before that i did with my old car. after i did that i drilled holes in the bottom of the air box so more can enter. it felt like it did something.
Old 05-13-2001, 04:07 PM

i thought about doing that, drilling holes and stuff, but if i ever want to put it back to stock, then i'm outa luck. so i figure i'll just wait and get a nice intake. Right now it still sounds good, and seems like it got a little better, who knows.