3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Better than OEM Disks, but not BBK??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005 | 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Better than OEM Disks, but not BBK??

I love the BBK's out there but right now they are totally out of the budget. Has anyone had any success out there with other than OEM disks??? From what I understand the stockies are really "soft" and easilly eatten from more agressive pads. I'd like to run at least Axxis MM pads, I had them for years on my PGT and loved the dust less stopping.
Old 05-05-2005 | 06:46 PM

Check www.internetautomart.com he sells new rotors and pads that aren't OEM.
Old 05-05-2005 | 07:47 PM

Ok I can't get the pic to come up , so I'll ask the dumb Q's. Are these slotted or crossdrilled or just a higher grade metal? I'll risk seeming stupid and ask if they are more sutided for more agressive pads. Either way I think that is worth the price. Thanks for the link!!!
Old 05-05-2005 | 08:01 PM
STFU n00b!

brembo blanks. about $40-50 each from all over the 'net. you'll be happy with them.
Old 05-05-2005 | 08:12 PM
mod or sell?

as matt said, brembo blanks are pretty much the best for our cars in stock form.
getting c-drilled or slotted is basically a bling thing better suited for people with more brains than money on a street car like ours.
Old 05-06-2005 | 06:05 AM

So mar what do you recommend as far as a kit. I need all 4 rotors and pads.
Old 05-06-2005 | 06:28 AM
mod or sell?

4 brembos, and metal masters all the way round.
if jeff had anymore rear brackets, I'd suggest that upgrade too, but he's out right now
Old 05-06-2005 | 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
getting c-drilled or slotted is basically a bling thing better suited for people with more brains than money on a street car like ours.
Okay, I'm a little confused here. Was that supposed to be one sentence, meaning for the x-drilled or slotted.

Or was that a crack at me owning brembo slots. Saying that I have more money than brains?
Old 05-06-2005 | 08:38 AM
Getting back to his roots

if jeff had anymore rear brackets, I'd suggest that upgrade too, but he's out right now

Why would you put bigger brakes in the rear if you have stock-sized ones in the front?
Old 05-06-2005 | 08:48 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Why would you put bigger brakes in the rear if you have stock-sized ones in the front?
becuase you got too much junk in the trunk

Okay, I'm a little confused here. Was that supposed to be one sentence, meaning for the x-drilled or slotted.

Or was that a crack at me owning brembo slots. Saying that I have more money than brains?
it wasn't a crack at you personally.
it's just that for our cars that don't have larger rotors installed the addition (subtraction?) of holes causes metal fatigue and premature cracking. it also reduces heat disappation because of less surface area. the slots don't really serve any purpose that I'm aware of and have been told by many hardcore racers that they aren't useful. Look at people who race their cars and drive them regularly they don't have slots or holes on their rotors.
Old 05-06-2005 | 08:57 AM

That sounds pretty dang good, less that 300 for a large upgrade in brakes. Think the lines should be upgraded as well or are the stock lines adequate?

ALSO I only saw 1 listing for disks for a 92, I take it they are the same front and rear?
Old 05-06-2005 | 09:02 AM

Look at people who race their cars and drive them regularly they don't have slots or holes on their rotors.
Ahh, but if you ever check into some of the race cars... you'll notice something very interesting. The rotors are replaced on a regular basis, and the most important of all THEY USE MAINLY METAL COMPOUND PADS. You know the nice glowing on some of the Le Mans cars. Regular brakes don't heat up that fast.

I have noticed a great increase in my braking power since putting those slots. But you are right... for regular driving... they're not worth it. Plus, the squeel factor for the Brembo slots can drive you nuts if you're not used to it. I work on dumptrucks... so it wasn't that much of a change.
Old 05-06-2005 | 10:30 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CyMax
That sounds pretty dang good, less that 300 for a large upgrade in brakes. Think the lines should be upgraded as well or are the stock lines adequate?

ALSO I only saw 1 listing for disks for a 92, I take it they are the same front and rear?
the line upgrade isn't a bad idea either, it's supposed to help brake pedal feel.

the front rotors are listed from 89-99 part # 25314 and the rear is a bit further down the column part # 25151. just make sure they are both qty 2 of ea.
Old 05-06-2005 | 01:05 PM

I read, so this is just me telling what i have heard not what i know from experience, that the slots in the rotors were used to like clean off the brake pad dust during hard braking conditions. Like when crap builds up on the pad the slots kinda like transfer it out of the way...
Old 05-07-2005 | 08:18 PM

the slots remove gas buildup between the pads and rotors which only occurs when the pad temperatures have reached and passed their fade point which is most likely much higher than most people will ever reach

this can be useful in racing BUT most racers do not use them because the slots take away friction surface of the rotors making them less effective as brakes use friction to stop the car so you want the most friction surface possible

also in racing, pads and rotors wear much faster so it is more cost effective to use blanks as the slotted can be expensive

some racing brake pads can grind through a rotor in one session without the pads even wearing halfway, you wouldnt want to go through expensive slotted rotors that fast
Old 05-08-2005 | 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by gdmaxse
some racing brake pads can grind through a rotor in one session without the pads even wearing half
There's a lot of regular pads out there that will eat through our stock rotors as it is.

Slots clear out the gas... and dust. And race cars don't use them for a couple of reasons.

1. There's less are for friction
2. The amount of time they actually use the brakes is less than what a normal driver would. This in an exact time comparison.

They use them to slow down just before a turn. Maybe 2.5 seconds at the most. The fact that some LeMans cars get so hot they glow, is the speed they're running at. Drive up to a 100... and hit the brakes and come to a stop... you'll notice your rotors will glow a little bit.

Daily driving on the other hand, we use them constantly. Slowing down for idiot drivers, stop lights, and emergencies.

Surprisingly the setup I have, it does not eat through pads that fast. And I have done some extreme stopping before.
Old 05-09-2005 | 02:29 PM

. . . but I still would love to have some x-drilled rotors to show through my Borbet rims on the SE. I think that would be sweet.