3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Was Corduroy interior a stock option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was Corduroy interior a stock option?

I ran across a 3rd gen in the boneyard with beige/camel colored corduroy uphostery. Looks like a professional job, including the headrests and center (between the seats) glovebox lid. Was this a stock option?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 PM

I have black corduroy inserts on my doors with a black leather interior.

-Diego
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 PM

I dont' remember the door inserts, but all the seats were corduroy. First time I ever saw that.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:04 PM

That's hot....
Old 05-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

I worked summers as a Nissan salesman from 1989 to 1992, and in those five model years (leftover 88's to early 93's) I never saw a maxi with corduroy interior come through. Nor, did I ever see that option in the paint/interior book.
Only options were leather or the nappy cloth in various colors.
I did, however, have a Jeep trade-in with a Levi Strauss factory interior. Very tough, that denim.

Think about what your legs would look like in the summer after sitting on corduroy for an hour or two...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Geerhed
I worked summers as a Nissan salesman from 1989 to 1992
wow, it must have been amazing working with these cars back then. they probably sold like crazy. was everybody amazed when the VE came out in 92?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:27 AM

that rare maxima probably had the rare kit on it too there's gotta be some rare maxima's out there hard to find
Old 05-12-2005, 05:52 AM

Think about what your legs would look like in the summer after sitting on corduroy for an hour or two...
striped legs
Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 AM

Rare, as a 2 door VE? That would be weird but cool to see.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 AM

I don't know about corduroy per se...but my 91 has what someone told me is called "tweed'...which to me is very similar to corduroy...

Its cloth...but not the plush/velvety cheap cloth that most cars have...My interior is the black/grey tweed or what I believe you think is corduroy (i could be wrong) But yes, it DOES leave stripes all over your legs in the summer I still LOVE it tho...honestly, I'd probably prefer it over the leather! No visible stains (and I kno Ive spilled soda on my seats a time or 2), very easy to clean should you have to, and best of all very stylish!
Anyway...if this is what you were talking about...I do think it was an option and I don't think that it is rare...but hey, I'm no expert...

Sorry the pic isn't closer....ill take one soon and post if you'd like to see it clearer
Old 05-12-2005, 06:45 AM

I have tweed in one of my maxima's and black cloth in the other. And i would pick the black cloth anyday over that tweed. To me the tweed just doesnt look good.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 AM

my dad used to have an old celica and it had tweed, i hated that crap! it was hard and itchy...my first choice is leather then cloth then metal then tweed!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 AM

No need to brag about your leather. Haha i just want to buy some racing seats for mine and then my mom is pretty good with fabric so i will get her to replace all the tweed door inserts and center cover.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:02 AM

speaking of bragging, if this little deal works out right with someone i know, ill be smiling big time with really nice black leather and selling my tan leather which is in good shape. but if i had black leather id probably look into getting some racing seats......i sat in some and was like ohhhhh my god this is sweet. lol

off topic, but have you done any body work to that VE you got i remember it had a pretty dent in it.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by mtnbikeair
I have tweed in one of my maxima's and black cloth in the other. And i would pick the black cloth anyday over that tweed. To me the tweed just doesnt look good.
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and to me plain ol cloth always looks ugly and cheap on ALL cars (not just maxima's) but especially on a maxima...especially if your hookin everything else up then you look inside and its like uugghh plain ol cloth like every other car in the world lol - Not to mention that the tweed just looks sportier than the reg ol cloth.

But hey, to each his own.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
my dad used to have an old celica and it had tweed, i hated that crap! it was hard and itchy...my first choice is leather then cloth then metal then tweed!
Maybe it was just old and dirty or something and needed a scrubbing because granted, it is harder than regular cloth, but definitely not hard and itchy like you made it seem (not to me anyway)...I think maybe it just needed some Resolve and a good brush taken to it...my seats dont itch me whatsoever, and I personally kind if like it being a lil more rough...(growl)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by LMaRiE91MaXiMa
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and to me plain ol cloth always looks ugly and cheap on ALL cars (not just maxima's) but especially on a maxima...especially if your hookin everything else up then you look inside and its like uugghh plain ol cloth like every other car in the world lol - Not to mention that the tweed just looks sportier than the reg ol cloth.

But hey, to each his own.
if plain ole cloth looks ugly what does tweed have on it that makes it "special"

my seats dont itch me whatsoever, and I personally kind if like it being a lil more rough...(growl)
WOW! no comment.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Moved on to BMW's :(

That's right -- there was the nappy cloth and the 'textured' cloth (tweed). When you say corduroy I think about the Wranglers I had in 3rd grade. I guess the tweed could be called corduroy if you stretch your vocab a bit.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but:
Sitting right next to my desk in that dealership (Maine Mall Motors in S. Portland, ME) was a pearlescent white SE with black leather. I used to daydream about that car. Today, I OWN its twin. When I saw it on the used car lot, there was no question that I would buy it.
As far as working with the Nissans, we also sold Hondas and Toyotas in the same dealership. If someone test drove an Accord (only available in 2.0L 4cyl then) and wanted more power, it was an easy bump to the Maxima. The Camry V6 was a rocket, but wasn't nearly as sophisticated as the Maxi (and about the same price, equally equipped).
For that matter, the Stanza was a rocket compared to the Accord and 4cyl Camry. It had more power and handled WAY better than the others.

However, the REAL sleeper in the dealership was the 1990 Sentra SE-R. Freaking FAST and inexpensive ($13,000 brand new).

When the VE engines came out in 92, there wasn't that much 'buzz' about it except among the car guys. The 3rd gen Maxi design had already been around since late '88 and Nissan didn't do much to push the engine upgrade on the public. A few 89-91 Maxi owners came in to test drive, but not many were willing to take a bath on trade-in for 30 more HP. Airbags were more of a selling point than the upgraded engine.

It was great fun working at the dealership, but definitely NOT a career choice. As I said, I did it as a summer job when I was a fairly new teacher and needed more $$$ to support my family.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
if plain ole cloth looks ugly what does tweed have on it that makes it "special" :
texture and not naps (read geerhead's post below yours)
Anyhow, its just my opinion and personal taste...the tweed (to me) looks sportier, and a little neater than regular cloth..
Old 05-12-2005, 11:01 AM

...Not to hi-jack the thread, but:....
thks for the nice history lesson
Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
No turbo, no care!

texture and not naps (read geerhead's post below yours)
Anyhow, its just my opinion and personal taste...the tweed (to me) looks sportier, and a little neater than regular cloth..
I took the tweed out of my car as soon as I got it, but hey if you like it they are yours! Those seats are still sitting my basement taking up space, come get them and you can have them for free!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 AM

I would love to change my black cloth interior for the black leather. I had a Q45 that I just sold and to go back to cloth is killing me.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
I took the tweed out of my car as soon as I got it, but hey if you like it they are yours! Those seats are still sitting my basement taking up space, come get them and you can have them for free!
Uh, thanks but no thanks...my black/grey tweed (as well as the rest of my interior) are in mint condition and I dont need your used seats, that probably reek of mildew by now from sitting in a basement...lol

but thanks anyway