3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ignition Wire Set... any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 09:22 AM

Ignition Wire Set... any comments?

Hello Maxima Lover,

What is your idea on Ignition Wire Set and Spark plugs? Which you think should be used in 1990 Maxima.

I am thinking of changing these two things. About two years I had changed spark plugs but not wires. This time I want to change both.

Thanks
Suya
Old 05-14-2005, 09:49 AM

depends on the mods you want to have or have and the kind of money you are willing to spend on them....Nology makes the best ignition wires and spitfire makes good plugs
Old 05-14-2005, 05:50 PM

If you don't buy Nology or performance wires make sure you get The Nissan Wires and NGK spark plugs. I repeat do not get the Autozone specials or the napas. And please don't get the Bosch plugs. Personal experience trust me
Old 05-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Get Nissan wire set. Quality is great....
Old 05-14-2005, 07:39 PM
mod or sell?

NGK plugs and wires
Old 05-14-2005, 08:41 PM

ngk wires look nice under the hood. rawmax1.... were you running nos when running those bosch plugs. platinum and nos go great together hehe. a quick waste of 36$ in plugs.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:54 PM

What are wires used for? Conduct electrons to the plug...

What is the known best conductor? Copper...

Who sells them as a product. Nobody!? Yes, NoBody...

How to get THE best? DIY: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/12

Troubleshooter will ask u; "what was the last sound": *bosch*
Old 05-15-2005, 10:36 AM

Can anyone tell me why Platinum Bosch's are no good? I just put some in, the ones with a double spark gap electrode. Should I take em out?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by android94301
Can anyone tell me why Platinum Bosch's are no good? I just put some in, the ones with a double spark gap electrode. Should I take em out?
No, just drive until youre annoyed of the put put put... they do not ruin u car, and by miracle, theres no problem. Miracles do happen. Some say they're good, but every time I find bosch plugs under somebodys hood, its because they complain of bad idle. Me - never *bosch*

If double gap was provenly better than one, three, four, none - all would be using those. The application also dictates many of the variable why there is no single one solution above all. I use only NGK - but no general hurrah there... Current platinum so far work great.

Btw. NGK has great website around spark problematics... seek out.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 AM

Bosch sucks. Even German BMW's run better off of NGK's. Wiking you are right about the copper wire. When I worked at Autozone there was a vendor that sold just copper wire to make universal wires. I don't remember the name. NGK wires are real good too.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by rawmax1
Bosch sucks. Even German BMW's run better off of NGK's. Wiking you are right about the copper wire. When I worked at Autozone there was a vendor that sold just copper wire to make universal wires. I don't remember the name. NGK wires are real good too.
...try to find that, pls, tell me.

NGK wires (as some others) actually contain one (1!!) hairthin wire; thats the way to go if u buy. However, sometimes the actual wire inside is not connected; u can hear that shoddy work.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 3rdgene
depends on the mods you want to have or have and the kind of money you are willing to spend on them....Nology makes the best ignition wires and spitfire makes good plugs
this can't be farther from the truth (plugs)
Old 05-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by android94301
electricity will follow the path of least resistance...IE bosch +4 or something like that..it will shoot one shot to the path of lease resistance.

also platinum is a poor conductor (compared to copper)...they use platinum because it's a harder metal...last longer.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:19 PM

Tried Bosch - and now use NGK, world of difference. Actually I do not know anything that runs good on Bosch gear??
Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by kpic
Tried Bosch - and now use NGK, world of difference. Actually I do not know anything that runs good on Bosch gear??
I ! know one arTicle: windshield wiper blades. It must be that they 'buy' the product from smbdy else... aushcwitz?

But for example try buying bosch el drills - next week stinkeysmokey, then buy again...
Old 05-21-2005, 04:48 AM

Wow. I have Bosch dual tip plat plugs, wires, cap & rotor. And a rough idle. Maybe I'll look into changing the plugs next. So NGK, huh?
Old 05-21-2005, 05:07 AM

Lets put it this way, I just came in from changing the plugs on my max & I used NGK. Use NGK for plugs & wires and this cannot be stressed enough (trust me I learned the hard way) use only genuine Nissan for rotor & cap
Old 05-21-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kpic
Lets put it this way, I just came in from changing the plugs on my max & I used NGK. Use NGK for plugs & wires and this cannot be stressed enough (trust me I learned the hard way) use only genuine Nissan for rotor & cap
Just found out my almost new plastics cap was leaking. Both sides, spray lacquer, now its ok. U may be right about that original: scared to ask the price.

NGK wire is best buy, not perfect. Only >solution< is DIY copper wire.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Dang it guys... you just reminded me I have to go put in my new V-power plugs. Great just create more work for me.

Btw, I've been running Bosch 4s for the past 2 years... they suck. Got better after about a year, but not perfect. Defintley wasn't worth the price.

And after reading my past few posts. I think I'm beginning to type like you Wiking.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Dang it guys... I'm beginning to type like you....
Not after smting keeps u ten more yrs speaking only urdu, up there on the otter side of Bagram. Repairing donkeycarts with one air inlet, no cats...
Old 05-22-2005, 10:36 AM

You realize I'm probably the only one who realizes what you just said
Old 05-22-2005, 10:38 AM

So did you ever kill that bear yet there wiking. It did a lot of damage to your audi. I'm still looking for that Deere that destroys cars over here.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
So did you ever kill that bear yet there wiking. It did a lot of damage to your audi. I'm still looking for that Deere that destroys cars over here.
The audi eating bear is now hibernating and eating fresh summer flowers. Will show ya. Yes, its good enough if u understand...

Well, actually was so pissed off with my audi collision, that will not go to near any audi or bearmarket. But analysing this now later, it left so big sCars in my soullife, that I have difficulty in investing my maxima, all has to be 0$ scrapmetal bent bymyself. Waiting, maybe?, always for next crAsh. (Feel sorry yall ppl who have been in a crash...) The funny thing was that 30sec before I had opened my radio (thats seldom) where a pastor says: "whatever comes to you, take it from your Father in heaven..." ...and there goes my half year job (audi) banG! ...dangling cling clang clong on the icy road under the plow.

The problem is, there is no insurance for your labour and/or invested parts. My max is far cry from stock (maybe +1000hrs?) but basically invested material is on spares and foglights... drillbits for the swiss cheese turbo.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:08 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by rawmax1
Wiking you are right about the copper wire. When I worked at Autozone there was a vendor that sold just copper wire to make universal wires. I don't remember the name.
Not sure if these are the wires you were speaking of. There are a couple of different companies that use copper cores. I believe these are braided which will allow for more flexibility than a solid copper wire.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Not sure if these are the wires you were speaking of. There are a couple of different companies that use copper cores. I believe these are braided which will allow for more flexibility than a solid copper wire.
I hink nobody can differentaite with conductors, be it steel of copper. But filling it with glassfiber =insulator +plus carbon soot resistor - well, huge difference. Not so much difference when u have one hair wire inside, like NGK does. If the wire is installed properly, that is.