3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I think it might be electrical....??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 05:14 PM

I think it might be electrical....??

Hey guys,

I had two questions....

1 - My car hasn't been driven in a long time. I recently bought a new battery for the car to try to start it. I have the automatic seatbelt retractor that retracts when the door closes (as i'm sure most of you know). but mine didn't retract today. Whats funny tho... is that the engine idles low at random moments and the seatbelt retracts for a quick second. And the same goes for when i try and wind down or wind up the windows, when i hold the window switch down. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON... HEEEELP

2 - which has nothing to do with electrical... if the car is running and you unplug the terminals at the battery, it's suppose to still run right? and if doesn't run then the alternator is bad, right?

Thanks for your time guys
Old 05-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Get Off My Lawn

This was discussed some time ago. The response by some seasoned pro's was that due to the technological breakthru's in computer management of automobiles, it is NOT recommended to remove the battery cable on the running car, especially not the ground. Get a cheap volt meter ($10) and check the DC voltage at the battery with the car off and with it running. Should be around 12 volts off and 13.4 volts running. If you have a maintenance battery, then you may need to check your acid levels. If low, then get some battery acid at Auto Zone or use some distilled water and fill up the channels. If the alternator is GOING bad, it may be putting out just enough juice to run the car but not drain the battery/ not charging either. This scenario would result in what you are discribing. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigkgs
... Whats funny tho... ... if the car is running and you unplug the terminals at the battery, it's suppose to still run right? ...
It just might. As Chiris mentioned, FSM warns not to, that T-ford jippo might also fry u ECU. Be careful: This car is first in the series of loaded computer platforms (maybe 15?): drivers door contains more electronics than volkswagen. Is it good? dunno... New stock cars coudl today have over hundred - and spend weeks on end at stealership waiting for software upd...

See what to check first on u alt, then on computer networks: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/5
Old 05-29-2005, 06:52 AM

So should I start by replacing the fuses if the electrical glitches continue??

Also does anyone know how to get into their trunk if they lost their key and trunk release switch isn't working...

I hav so many problems.... :\

Thanks
Old 05-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Get Off My Lawn

If you have bad fuses, then things should not work at all. It's always good to check fuses, but only if something is NOT working. Have bad fuses? Sure, that's a great start but I don't believe it will resolve any of your problems as we know them.
Your trunk release switch is probably not working becuase you have tripped the internal latch inside the trunk. This switch is found about 1 1/2 inches above the floor looking down into the trunkfrom the back of the car. It is used to prevent people who break into your car from getting into the trunk - most people will store their valuables when they go into the Mall or are at the beach. It keeps things out of site and is not as easy to access, especially not without the key.
Answer: Don't have the master Key? Go to your local Nissan dealership with your title and vin#, they will pull up the code and cut one for you. It might be about $12 but it's been years since I got mine. When I bought my car, the owner had lost the master key too. Nissan turned me another.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by bigkgs
So should I start by replacing the fuses if the electrical glitches continue??

Also does anyone know how to get into their trunk if they lost their key and trunk release switch isn't working...

I hav so many problems.... :\

Thanks
The big ones under hood might be heavily oxidized; check, clean if so... There are about thousand connector pins to clean up, have fun! When all are cleaned, 90% glitches are out. Quite a few are explained on my web page, read first page links first.

Take rear seat both parts, upholstery off, and climb in... Theen do what Chris says. Btw. Stanza has equal seats with folding back... wanna have that.