3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

hold off on tie rod end, now inner tie rod boot torn

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 PM

hold off on tie rod end, now inner tie rod boot torn

Thanks to Internetautomart for getting me the right hardware that Moog messed up on. About to take off the 2nd tie rod end and looked at the oily boot on the steering part, pushed on it with my wrench and the whole boot is seperated from the end. Welp, time to get one of those replaced before I put this tie rod end on. Is replacing the steering boot tough? I see two wires that look as if its twist tied on to hold the boot in place? Any experience in replacing that boot?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's not hard at all. I just got done doing this the other day. New boots (sometimes called "bellows") cost around $17 at most auto parts stores.

Since you already have the tie-rod off, first thing you have to do is get those twist-tied wires off. Either untwist the ends or cut them and remove them. Once the wires are off, the remaining parts of the boot can be taken off (just pull on them, they'll slide right off). Once the old boot is off, clean the surfaces that the boot seals to on the rack and the inner tie rod. After that, put tape on the threads on the end of the tie rod and lightly smear the tie rod with grease so the new boot will slide on easier. Slide the new boot on (large side first, of course) and let it seat on the tie rod first. Then slowly work the large end of the boot onto the rack itself (it takes some practice and patience). Then all you have to do is secure the new boot to the tie rod and the rack with the supplied hardware.

I left the last part vague just because I've seen more than one kind of kit. Some kits give you zip-ties to secure the boot, some use plastic o-rings, and some use wires just like the stock ones. Just depends on what kit you buy.

And, I can go into better detail if necesary, just let me know. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 PM
94c Big Max

piece of cake! all you'll need is a locked flier and rubber hammer. just be cautious when you unlock the nut, make sure you hit so it comes loose and remember how many turns you've made. once you're done, you just turn it the same number you took it off. you might wanna go to the store and get some multipurpose syn greases and compensate for the lost.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:45 PM
94c Big Max

forgot to mentioned, I got my OE boots from jerryromenissan.com for $9/boot. not sure what's the current price, call em up and ask ken for a promotion code.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:57 AM

I got my boots from my local nissan dealer for $19 each. Didn't feel like waiting since I will be doing the work on Sunday.

My question is how I am supposed to get the twist tie things tight on the boot before I start twisting them like a twist tie? I don't want them to pop off when I steet the wheel.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:14 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5
I got my boots from my local nissan dealer for $19 each. Didn't feel like waiting since I will be doing the work on Sunday.

My question is how I am supposed to get the twist tie things tight on the boot before I start twisting them like a twist tie? I don't want them to pop off when I steet the wheel.
WTF!!!!! Hey man im at work here....be careful what pictures you put up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:43 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5

zip ties work better
Old 06-10-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
WTF!!!!! Hey man im at work here....be careful what pictures you put up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Whats wrong with the "bell ringer"? haha