3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New front cold intake system for 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 08:33 PM

of coarse it doesnt stay that hot

but it still gives off heat correct? or does that go away too? i think that would mean my header or exhaust isnt hot unless the car is stopped and that is an inacurate statement, your statement is not correct. Also im not worried about being kicked off for saying dink i think you should stay on the toppic, it was not ment as an insult, you are a real dink, DINK!
Old 05-17-2001, 08:42 PM

if its common sense that it wont help,

Why didnt dallas tell me that? why did he want to look into it? also im not trying to prove anyone wrong so please stay on the topic i have not had anyone comment against the coldness of the air, nor the amount of air increaseing, as far as im concerned the air is no dought colder, also there is the abiity to adjust or tune the amount of air comeing into the engine, i believe the problem if any will lye in the lengthof the pipe increaseing 1 foot
Old 05-17-2001, 08:47 PM

well DA MAX

I think that this is very usefull information, do you have a pic or a web address or know anyone who ownes one to show it exist's, no? owell thanks anyway, if you get any proof ill be here waiting for your post, thanks, Jasen
Old 05-17-2001, 08:51 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yes Dallas and Dan are good people......

they also looked into my "dual" exhaust project and just to let you in on something dual exhaust HAS NO GAINS AT ALL, but that didnt stop them from LOOKING INTO IT!!
all I'm saying is the dyno gains will not be significant on the dyno since there will be no AIR forced into the thing...the only way you'd see significant gains on a dyno is if you put a fan in front of the thing, but thats cheating! as for on the track, I just see it as more wind resistance than power gain. for one thing the inlet hole is angled to the left side so basically the air has to hit the intake filter and go at a 90 degres angle into this tiny 2.5" hole, than travel more than a foot to the MAF and finally reach the TB.....it just doesn't seem to practical to me at all! IMO, the designers at Arospeed did this more for asthetics rather than performance gains!

Originally posted by bigjay
Why didnt dallas tell me that? why did he want to look into it?
Old 05-17-2001, 09:09 PM

well if you look at it closer

The filter is designed for maximum flow and it is about a foot and a half by a half foot and the over all air intake space or filter element has more of a total volume space than a regular filter its kind of like opening up the end of your cia and putting a big flow threw filter on it, its like haveing a bigger receptor or antena for your car, you get more out of it, in this case more air and its much cooler, furthermore i never said anything about a dyno test or a fan i think your confused and also they were familiar with it its not something that was non existing and definetly not as complicated as trying to create backpressure in your exhaust system threw dual inlets and smaller pipeing than an intake, the basics of an intake is to get the coldest air possable, the most possable air into it that it can take, and how much it has to travle, and i believe that this is a better application by all aspects from the coldness of the air, to the amount of air it can bring in on this application and the real question is whether or not the colder air and added air of this intake will become more of a gain if the lenght is increased by a foot than the current cai 's available
Old 05-17-2001, 09:14 PM

Re: Yes Dallas and Dan are good people......

That was my exact thought. when i saw this thing.

IMO, the designers at Arospeed did this more for asthetics rather than performance gains!

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05-17-2001, 09:21 PM
bigfro

Imagine driving in a down pour with that thing. =)

I heard that system is very unrelaible because of this problem. Water can easily get into ur system and u'll probly have to replace that filter a WHOLE bunch of times..watever floats ur boat. =D

Old 05-17-2001, 09:23 PM

well in respect to the forum,

I will say it again, when they get back to me i will post what they said so you can judge for yourself, also when dallas get's back to me i will let you know his oppinion, but he was aware of what it was and said it was a good idea, it's not a unreasonable idea except for the question of the extra foot outweighing the possatives of more, and colder air
Old 05-17-2001, 09:30 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well....

since you seem so confident about this set-up, why not just do it? like I said $250 for the "intake" and $30 for the flex piping.......I'm done arguing the rest is on you!! prove us all wrong and show some signficant gains over the CAI or even the standard cone intake! once again good luck!
Old 05-17-2001, 09:38 PM

once again!

Im not out to prove any one wrong im simply stateing my oppinion and you have no comment on that, and as far as me going out and doing it, if you read my posts you would see that i am waiting to see what i HEAR(ng thing), from dallas and aerospeed before i make that decision and i will post there reply for all of use too judge for ourself's, im only trying to improve, not prove anyone wrong, once again i will keep everyone posted
Old 05-17-2001, 09:48 PM

to fro

That is a very good concearn that they have addressed, it has a system in it that i have not acctually been able to experience with my own hands because it is fairly new but im sure your all familiar with the water check valve(the only way i can describe it)it makes it so no water can get into it, alot of people put them on there fender well cai's because of the Extreme amount of water that the tires kick up at them, also the filter is oil based and is cleanable with a spray solvent(i assume it is like the k$n)thats makes it so it doesnt have to be replaced, also i have xenon kit which means for me that wouldnt of been a problem thats why i havent though of it
Old 05-17-2001, 09:55 PM

Bigmax

Ng was talking to me about being mad n stuff. We had a issue like this going back and forth with words n well I aint saying no more.But he doesn't have u confused with no one.
As far as this subject goes, Im on no ones side. What peoples beliefs are cant be changed and most likely wont be changed about CAI. No one is wrong here and in all, every reply to this thread is usefull info. Except for the name calling etc; (3rd genners,trust me that doesn't go anywhere). Like some have said, try it and see if gains are positive. If they are great, U'll know yourself its worth it. If not, hey at least u gave it a try. Whicheva way results are n you dont mind posting them, go for it. I myself will be excited to see what results are: good/bad, and more 3rd genners will too.
This all sounds like Im taking Bigmax side on it but Im not fellaz. Like I said no sides taking here. I got mad respect for everyones opinion about the issue and Im gonna leave it at that. Just dont wanna get flamed myself with someone saying Im siding.
Hey Ng, thanks for giving me some respect about well u know. From that day I have become a new person on the board n I thank ya. I feel as if a matured 3rd genner...haha. Thanks Ng.....
Before I bless this reply I just wanna say, We ALL need MAD RESPECT for EVERYONE HERE...
Old 05-17-2001, 10:00 PM

Re: BigJay...aka BigMax to me...lol

Oppps I meant to put BigJay not BigMax.... Darn Im gonna get flamed now....
Old 05-17-2001, 10:00 PM

That also gives me another reason it is better

When you drive in the rain there is gallons of water soaking your filter, i believe that (espesially in my situation with xenon kit)it reduces the water comeing into the pipe by 95% makeing more room for air to come in hence makeing it more efficiant in that respect in the rain! foesheezy!
Old 05-17-2001, 10:07 PM

i will not flame

you are right and i agree with everything you said and am not sure about the other thing that is going, there seems to be a secret here that im not being told about but i havent even commented on ng thing and i definetly didnt talk to him/ her before i double checked search and didnt find anything, but anyway if its about this post let me know i dont think its anything to keep a secret about its just my oppinion of a cai, your not gonna hurt my feelings
Old 05-17-2001, 10:45 PM

Re: i will not flame

Na it had nothing to do with this post. I was asking NGthing if he read this. It just brought flashbacks of a thread we commented on (for something else) and wanted to see if he read this 1. As for the confusion or whateva, Ngthing replied back to me and u commented by saying that u think he had u mistaken for someone else. That someone else was actually me. Ng was just replying back to me... I was letting u know FYI on the confusion. No secrets here BigMax opps I mean BigJay (joke)...haha take care.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:48 PM

Oh my. You need to understand the way the engine works more. It will not work and the extra length of the pipe [b]lowers[\b] performance..
Old 05-18-2001, 03:03 PM
Ford Only.

The only thing I will say is.Try the fender CAI and dyno it.Then try the front CAI and dyno it and tell us what the differences in the gain is.
Old 05-18-2001, 04:09 PM

oh my?

do you have one? i dint think so, you have no idea if it will be better or not, where is your proof?
?
Old 05-18-2001, 04:14 PM

dmont

nothing is going to be tested by me, dallas was reviewing the details and were waiting for a reply, also i think someone said you cant get an accurate reading from dyno on this application earlyer in the post
Old 05-18-2001, 04:31 PM
Ford Only.

Oh,Another thing is that with this front CAI.My freind had one on his 95 Civic EX and he took it off he just told me that he had to clean the filter way too much.
Old 05-18-2001, 04:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think if you show off something that looks like an intercooler(like this one does), you had better darn well have an intercooler. The benefits of something like this does not even come CLOSE(if any at all) to what it's trying to look like. To me it's like having a 5" exhaust system attached to the stock 2" exhaust pipe upstream. All show and no go. Spend your money on somthing that works(ie.. cone or cai) and use the extra to buy something else(ie... UDP, tune up, etc..)
Old 05-18-2001, 04:43 PM
Ford Only.

Jeff, What is up with the BBS it hasnt worked all day.Do you know anything?
Old 05-18-2001, 04:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Have no idea. I've been in New York all last week on business.

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Jeff, What is up with the BBS it hasnt worked all day.Do you know anything?
Old 05-18-2001, 05:32 PM

that was also a civic and

if he had to clean it all the time he wasnt useing it right, it has a cover and also on our cars it will be a diffrent application, we allknow there is no aggressor facia's for our maxs that will enable it to hang out in the open, and n my car it will actually stay cleaner than in my tire well,on my xenon kit, nothing will get into it
Old 05-18-2001, 05:40 PM
Ford Only.

Cool,I am all for it if Dallas wants to produce them.He is a really cool guy and will consider anything you throw at him.And if it does prove to add more HP and be better then count me in.But I think MaximaMike is kind of right there will be alot of tubing for the air to flow threw.But it would be kind of like a ram air.Dallas told me the best kind of intake for our cars would probably be to remove the battery and make a cold air box.Now that would be impressive.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:56 PM

WOW A VALID OPPINION!

IMPRESSIVE, well you could be right, but of coarse i dont have any experiance with them as im sure you dont too, but it is possable for this to go both ways, we wont know for shore till we hear from the manufacturer about this new technology, im sure none of us have seen any real tests to know how good it is, so we can only make our educated guesses from our experiace at this, and given my experiance with intakes ive gone through over the years, i think that it is very possable for this to have great power gains, but like i said it can go both ways, depending on the filter restiction for air flow, but i have no question that it will DEFINETLY get much colder air in then the tire well, and also stay about 95% percent dryer than in the tire well with the water spraying on it from your tire.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:18 PM

I saw one of these things on the Lan-Evo 7 (Road & Track). I was wondering if it worked, especially since it's on this car. I bet it works fine, but it probably needs to be designed for our cars and not just "popped" on. Who knows, I think it'd be cool to find out if this thing really worked though.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:47 PM

yes,

ive also agreed with the tubing increase of a foot and that is a downfall because of the engine's mounting position, this is basicly the big question i have been dealing with but will it be less efficient if you add the lower temp and more air
Old 05-18-2001, 07:12 PM

i dont like the way it looks, but im not gonna say it is garbage just yet. no one has tested it or done even any sort of calculations to prove anything. from taking 5 years of physics ,including flow dynamics, i think i can make the assumption that the longer tubing with all its bends is going to be a major drawback. one thing it has in its advantage is the larger filter surface, but i cant see this making up for all that tubing. i am interested in seeing some real testing done on it. in my own personal opinion it is strictly a cosmetic product and will probably be worse than the stock air box. but thats just a guess. im willing to see anything that actually works be built for our cars even if it looks rice.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:37 PM

and dont forget

its not all that much tubeing, it's alot less than stock and just has to go about 3 inches more than fender cai. at frst my gues was way off i thought it would be like a foot but with the proper bends, its only roughly 3 inches longer than regular cai.
Old 05-18-2001, 10:26 PM

You still don't understand, the filter could be the size of your hood. It is not going to suck in any more air than the engine needs to suck in(vacuum, duh). It'll suck in however much it needs and the rest will just be turbulence. There will be no forcing of air into the filter(boostage). Also, the CAI sucks in just as much cold air as a front mount system, as does the JWT pop charger. If you don't believe me, buy a Techtom/Super AFC/Etc and then a Pop charger or CAI. You tell me the air temp readings from the MAF just like Cheston did. You'll see that you are wrong and it won't improve performance from extra cold air.
Old 05-18-2001, 11:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

For anyone interested.....

heres Cheston's comparison(which Maximamike is speaking of), very interesting indeed-->

Click!!!

And some other interesting fact about Ram Air, if I'm correct this is from an LS1 site I found a while ago:
-----------------------------------------------------------
The problem is that because of the path the air has to take, by the time it gets to your throttle body, the air doesn't have enough pressure and speed to add any ram pressure to your intake system. Even at speeds of 80 mph, no ram effects can be measured with an almost perfect inlet system, (i.e. less than .08psi) At 160 mph , that pressure goes up to .36psi., that's it!!
-----------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, even with a direct ram air (piping straight to the TB) like on some of the Pontiac T/A's for example there was only a .28 increase in psi at 160mph, now imagine that with the extra 1 foot of piping snaking through the engine bay at only 80 mph in a Maxima.... just some more facts I thought I'd throw out there.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: WOW A VALID OPPINION!

Originally posted by bigjay
IMPRESSIVE, well you could be right, but of coarse i dont have any experiance with them as im sure you dont too, but it is possable for this to go both ways, we wont know for shore till we hear from the manufacturer about this new technology, im sure none of us have seen any real tests to know how good it is, so we can only make our educated guesses from our experiace at this, and given my experiance with intakes ive gone through over the years, i think that it is very possable for this to have great power gains, but like i said it can go both ways, depending on the filter restiction for air flow, but i have no question that it will DEFINETLY get much colder air in then the tire well, and also stay about 95% percent dryer than in the tire well with the water spraying on it from your tire.
Is this a valid opinion because he agrees with you? seesh. Stop being ignorant, I don't know how this "Cold Front Intake" will preform compared to the CAI and then POP charger, but I DO know that when you put a filter in front of your vehicle, in rain, it WILL be soaked, the CAI filter is well protected in the fender well, I have not had any problems with the filter elements getting wet, and even with the air bypass valve, water won't get into your engine, but when water is not getting sucked in, neither is air. You are probably correct that the air is much colder than from the tire well, but, is it REALLY worth it when you weight hte pros and cons of different intake applications?
Old 05-19-2001, 01:12 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Ngthing....

there is some sort of Lexan cover or something that you put over the filter element so it is not in direct contact with the outside environment.

Originally posted by ngthing
but I DO know that when you put a filter in front of your vehicle, in rain, it WILL be soaked
Old 05-19-2001, 01:17 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Here is the ad direct from the homepage

now all of you can see this thing-->

"Fake" Intercooler Cold Air Intake
Old 05-19-2001, 10:53 PM

Re: Here is the ad direct from the homepage

you know what, if someone is going to develop a new intake for the max, they should develop an iceman. i'd love to be able to drop a section of dry ice in and be runnin ice cold air into my motor. forget that thing and a CAI, i'd be runnin ice air!
Old 05-19-2001, 11:31 PM

Re: Re: Here is the ad direct from the homepage

Originally posted by flyry110
you know what, if someone is going to develop a new intake for the max, they should develop an iceman. i'd love to be able to drop a section of dry ice in and be runnin ice cold air into my motor. forget that thing and a CAI, i'd be runnin ice air!

Now THATS a concept!!!!! Hahahahaha!
Old 05-19-2001, 11:36 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximamike
You still don't understand, the filter could be the size of your hood.
Thats interesting because I've heard rumour that K&N engineers are feverishly working on a direct bolt-on replacement hood-sized oiled cotton filter for the J30.

This hood/filter will also drastically reduce weight over the front wheels providing more grip and better launch times at the track.

Additional prototypes are being tested with the hood fitted and the grille and underbody blocked with a solid bank of fake intercooler airfilters side by side thus making the engine bay a large airbox. This will allow the owner to run an open MAF bolted straight to the throttle body (w/adaptor of course).

The massive amounts of air available above and beyond the engines maximum N/A requirement is showing similiar gains in h/p and torque as the TurboZet electric turbocharger.

Disclaimer: Apologies to K&N Engineering Department
Old 05-19-2001, 11:42 PM

you makin fun fitz? haven't you ever seen an iceman intake before?

Quick Reply: New front cold intake system for 3rd gen