3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Must be a record

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Im izz sexay

Must be a record

Well guys I have officially went through three trannies in less than two years. With this one the oil gasket blew out and it began to grind gears. I hate automatics. A guy I know has a VE5 that he doesn't drive that has been sitting for like a year and a half and he offered me a very generous price for it. I haven't seen it but I may just take it and fix it up for the price it is being sold for. Hopefully the body looks good and the tranny is solid.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:56 PM
mod or sell?

good luck.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that kinda sucks but i went thru 3 5spds in about 11 months
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Alex_V

What? Aren't you boosted though?

~Alex

Old 08-10-2005, 11:32 PM

I went through 2 used auto trannys and 1 rebuilt in 6 months and I'm not boosted. I feel your pain man.

time for a 5spd swap?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:09 AM

I've gone through one, but I havn't replaced it yet... rather it still works its just very noisy. I'm afraid I'll end doing it many times over like you guys
Old 08-11-2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
I've gone through one, but I havn't replaced it yet... rather it still works its just very noisy. I'm afraid I'll end doing it many times over like you guys
that's why you should cut the chase and do a 5spd swap straight away it's not that difficult if you've got some skills, and not nearly as costly as replacing atuo trannys over and over again.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Alex_V
What? Aren't you boosted though?

~Alex
No I was actually saving up to go boosted in the fall. I'm just glad I didn't buy the parts yet as I was going to next week. There was this kit I saw for sale with a t3 turbo and all the components for 500. This place I know does custom intakes and exhausts was gonna put some pipes together for another 500. Now all of that money (well most of it) is going to a new maxima. Specifically a VE 5-speed.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:23 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Phatsta
that's why you should cut the chase and do a 5spd swap straight away it's not that difficult if you've got some skills, and not nearly as costly as replacing atuo trannys over and over again.
After my first tranny I saw a VG5 for less that the first replacement but my parents loved the maxima so they paid for a replacement. Then they paid for a second one. I destroyed the original tranny in less that 30k miles racing. The second one I destroyed in about 20k mile driving like a maniac. And this tranny gave me about 10k miles and I really didn't dog it.

To make me feel better though I am glad my tranny did break down. Here's why. I was going to my gf's house and I told her that I couldn't come after this happened. 10 minutes later she called me up saying not to have my brother drop me off as people were fighting on her street and someone pulled a gun out and started shooting now the whole area is basically blocked off and noone could leave unless they are walking. It would have taken me about 5 minutes to get to her house from where I broke down at. I think my maxima gave me one last gift before she get's parted (All my interior is going into the VE5 if it isn't black). I finally fixed my window regulator yesterday too. I am more mad about that than the tranny dying.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by VG Ridah
After my first tranny I saw a VG5 for less that the first replacement but my parents loved the maxima so they paid for a replacement. Then they paid for a second one. I destroyed the original tranny in less that 30k miles racing. The second one I destroyed in about 20k mile driving like a maniac. And this tranny gave me about 10k miles and I really didn't dog it.

To make me feel better though I am glad my tranny did break down. Here's why. I was going to my gf's house and I told her that I couldn't come after this happened. 10 minutes later she called me up saying not to have my brother drop me off as people were fighting on her street and someone pulled a gun out and started shooting now the whole area is basically blocked off and noone could leave unless they are walking. It would have taken me about 5 minutes to get to her house from where I broke down at. I think my maxima gave me one last gift before she get's parted (All my interior is going into the VE5 if it isn't black). I finally fixed my window regulator yesterday too. I am more mad about that than the tranny dying.
omg you were lucky... we have a saying here in sweden; lucky unlucky. can't belive how common shootings are over there... we have like a couple of hundred shootings a year nationwide, which is mostly accidents. glad you didn't reach that street though. gotta take off the hat for your old faithful. it's almost poetic how her last gift maybe was your life

well I hope your new max will give you some fun moments.

btw, since you've recently changed the window regulator. I need to do it as well, so I wonder what you need to take down to reach it? is it enough to take down the door interior or would you need to go further?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 AM

1 auto down
3 input shaft bearings and a tranny sitting in the garage with a 4th

5 ****ty borg warner dealings

(i'm never going to give borg warner a break)
Old 08-11-2005, 12:38 PM

I already have a 5spd, its just going dead
Old 08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Im izz sexay

btw, since you've recently changed the window regulator. I need to do it as well, so I wonder what you need to take down to reach it? is it enough to take down the door interior or would you need to go further?
The regulator wasn't that hard at all. Just goto http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/...regulator.html I read it like three times and went at it. My only issue was reinstalling the motor but I just turned the window regulator thing about 1 degree and it went right in.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:06 PM

it's tranny season!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:34 PM

I bought my 89' SE and 4 weeks later I went through my first trans and then 2 more in a year and a half. As much as I hate these auto trannys I'm damn good and quick at changing them now! Hour and 25 mins for a swap!
PS. Careful with used Tranys!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 AM

Now THAT'S impressive!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Im izz sexay

I saw the VE and it needed a little more attention than I wanted to put toward the car. Plus it wasn't running at all. (if it had been running on two cylinders I would have gotten it but it wasn't). So no more maxima's for me. My new project is a 1991 Honda Prelude 2.0. Will post pics in a few when they replace the quarter panel and windshield.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:42 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by VG Ridah
I saw the VE and it needed a little more attention than I wanted to put toward the car. Plus it wasn't running at all. (if it had been running on two cylinders I would have gotten it but it wasn't). So no more maxima's for me. My new project is a 1991 Honda Prelude 2.0. Will post pics in a few when they replace the quarter panel and windshield.
quarter panel damage? and windshield?
I'd check the substructures.

of course my teg needs a windshield , fender, hood, apron, bumper assembly, radiator to get back to normal
Old 08-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Now THAT'S impressive!

Thanks! I was pretty proud of myself! I did have a person helping though
Old 08-13-2005, 02:20 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by internetautomar
quarter panel damage? and windshield?
I'd check the substructures.

of course my teg needs a windshield , fender, hood, apron, bumper assembly, radiator to get back to normal
Two separate accidents. Windsheild came from a storm we recently had. A tree branch fell and cracked it a little. with the quarter panel it had been in a minor accident. That is whythey are replacing it for me. Title is clean and everything.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 PM
mod or sell?

Clean title and salvage title don't mean ****.
my teg has a clean title (but it needs serious work)
my uncles camaro needs no work, never wrecked but has/had a "Junk" title so carfax won't cover it if he tries to sell it.

of course my max has been wrecked front and rear but it still has a clean title too.
so don't judge a car by it's title, judge it by it's undercarriage.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:57 PM

omg you were lucky... we have a saying here in sweden; lucky unlucky. can't belive how common shootings are over there... we have like a couple of hundred shootings a year nationwide, which is mostly accidents.
shootings are common here because of the ignorance and stupidity and lack of self control and brain power that is programmed into the pathetic minds of our people. glad to see there's decent humans elsewhere in the world. or maybe they just choose other forms of homicide... can't we all just get along? over in the 6th gen forums awhile back they were having a discussion about what they would do if they caught someone tinkering with their precious material automobile. reeling things off like waiting for them at night and then killing them for being on their property. sad...
Old 08-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
killing them for being on their property. sad...
You mean you wouldn't mess someone up if they were jacking your ride? Sure killing someone is a bit harsh, but if it could be construed as justifiable, then I'm all game to put a junkie in the hospital (or morgue if need be) .