3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stiff Brakes!! What do I do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stiff Brakes!! What do I do??

Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance for answering. I've been looking on the org for the last few days for the solution to my problem but infortunately there just isn't a lot of info on it. So here is my dilema...

For some reason somehow my crossmember broke in half and my engine shifted towards the passenger side of the car and was just leaning on the fender wall. I was having transmission problems so I thought that was the problem but when I opened my hood it was appareant that the engine was falling out. I had driven the car for a few days and then parked it because my brakes when out on me while I was driving it on the freeway. I got a new crossmember and swaped them out and I just figured that when I put the engine back that my brakes would be back but that wasn't the case.

I tried looking for kinks in the brake lines from the master cylinder to wherever the brake lines go and couldn't find anything. I also blead my brakes thinking that might help but that didn't help either. Today I'm going to check the vaccum hose and hopefully that will fix it but I don't think so.

Basically my brakes are as hard as when the car is off and the brakes have been pumped a few times. They have not completely failed but if I brake with my heel and push as hard as I can I barely stop....PRETTY DANGEROUS!!!

By the way I forgot to say I have a 93 Maxima SE 5-speed if that makes a difference.

Please Help my MAXEEMA!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 12:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Check the vacuum hose going to the brake booster. it might be cracked loose or somthing like that ..Also check all other vacuum lines for same problems.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:08 PM

Is the brake booster the black thing that connects to the firewall that is connected to the master cylinder or is that the thing on the passenger side of the car that has all those brake lines coming from it?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxeema
Is the brake booster the black thing that connects to the firewall that is connected to the master cylinder or is that the thing on the passenger side of the car that has all those brake lines coming from it?

The black thing that connects to the firewall is the brake booster...

The other thing is the abs...
Old 08-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks it was the vaccum hose but not connected to the brake booster somewhere between the brake booster and the engine and there was also a little hose that came loose also. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxeema
Thanks it was the vaccum hose but not connected to the brake booster somewhere between the brake booster and the engine and there was also a little hose that came loose also. Thanks for the help!!!
That is what we are here for......No problem.....
Old 08-21-2005, 09:35 AM

Can the brake booster also be responsible for the brake pedal being too soft or mushy? I ask because I've noticed that the brakes in my '89 Nissan Maxima are not responsive compared to other cars. By responsive I mean that the brake pedal has to be pushed in considerably before any stopping occurs (almost half-way).
I brought my car into a shop so that they could bleed out the air from my brake lines thinking that was the problem, but that did not make the pedal any tighter. Upon further inspection, it turned out that the master cylinder had a leak, so that was completely replaced and the tires were bled out again to get rid of any air that might've crept in during the change but that still made no difference.
After getting a free brake check-up at R&S Strauss, the mechanic informed me that the problem lay with the brake booster. Specifically, that mine needed replacement.
This sounded weird to me as I thought a faulty brake booster would make the brakes harder, not softer and as I don't have the cash right now to spend money on parts that won't fix my problem I was wondering if any of you guys would know if a brake booster replacement would help.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by HONKER24
...any of you guys would know if a brake booster replacement would help.
I guess the diagnosis was ok. Also lots threads here speak of this problem, so it is known to happen in some maximas.

U should not save in brakes. Do that on whatever else, not brakes. Loosin brakes in a tight situation might be last for lots folks & worst case: u thinking that decision rest of u life.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27 PM
mod or sell?

if you have a hard pedal that would be the booster.
a soft pedal is normally due to a fluid problem, anything from brake hoses expanding themselves, to bad master cylinder seals to any other rubber part not doing it's job.
also the quality of the pad will control the pedal feel as well
long travel is normally a fluid control problem