3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shifting Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Shifting Problem...

Ok, I am sure I already know the answer to my question, but I am a poor college student and I am hoping that someone would know a way to buy me some time. The trans on my 91 Maxima will shift into third gear (auto trans) but then will slip like crazy. The only way to drive the car without it sleeping is to keep it in second gear. It will not shift into fourth gear at all. Any ideas... Anything will help, without a car I cant get to school/work. Also, it just started do it on thursday... I woke up thursday morning and my apartment complex is on some automatic towing thing where they tow cars if the license place is expired... The license plate was not expired but I did not recieve my new sticker yet in the mail so I was able to show my reciept and get the car out of the tow yard for free... I noticed that the car was broken into with a slim jim by the tow guys... I did not drive the car all weekend because my roomate was out of town and he let me use his BMW all weekend. Any Ideas guys?

Thanks in advance guys...

Matt
Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Once a auto tranny starts slipping as bad as yours is it's not long before it quits all together...Not much that i know of that prolong one except babying it around,and driving it as little as possible until you get up the$$$ to fix or replace it...The "parts for sale/wanted"
section might have a good used one f/s....Sorry i could not help you more....
Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Here is one....http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=426834
Old 09-07-2005, 07:36 AM

Thanks MyGreenMax... This really really sucks
Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 AM

Also... there is no way that the towing company could have messed up the car while towing it?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Winds50
Also... there is no way that the towing company could have messed up the car while towing it?
- depends on their actions; dont think thats the case here
- start from checking fluid level
- most probable slippin reason is behind too few electrons fulfilling their duty. DIY hlp for that is here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/15
- the DIY mech issues u may try also explained
- check Favorite Links at left
Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 PM

Sorry to hear you got this major PITA problem...

1. Do what Wiking says above, if you're lucky that's all you need for now.
2. Try to drive very carefully for as long as it will go, but be aware it could stop any time (towing costs?)
3. Consider a tranny swap, if you could do it yourself you'd save a lotta dineros... and above all consider doing a 5spd swap. It's a bit more difficult but it'll cost you about the same and save you lots of bucks in the end. Not to mention it's a whole lot more fun

It's highly unlikely that the towing of your car has anything to do with this transmission problem. It's a common problem with max's with high milage.

Here's a couple of writeups you can study, at least it'd give you an idea of the work involved if you wanna DIY.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/749143

Read both page 2 & 3
Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah do a conversion; there are a few write-ups out there. You might want to check the fluid level, because I had an auto a couple of years ago that wouldn't shift due to very low fluid.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
Yeah do a conversion; there are a few write-ups out there. You might want to check the fluid level, because I had an auto a couple of years ago that wouldn't shift due to very low fluid.
yeah if the trans won't shift at all or shifts badly / shakes or anything like that, check fluid. but if it slips you've got to have had a major leak, if it's fluid level that's the cause. it's probably not so in this case.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Phatsta
... Not to mention it's a whole lot more fun ...
...stick paddling a pedal car is fun ONLY if your under 5. Racing is fun, there manual beats A/T. Btw. Maxima A/T is simply best.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
...stick paddling a pedal car is fun ONLY if your under 5. Racing is fun, there manual beats A/T. Btw. Maxima A/T is simply best.
you're a lazy lazy man

actually the car pulls much better, you can feel the power of the V6 much better when you put the pedal to the metal. it's by far the best mod you could ever do, really (if you're looking for performance, which I am)
Old 09-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Alex_V

Agreed! I dont mind driving a 5 speed at all, and I prefer it by far. Alot more power and flexibility, not to mention better responce and more WHP for the same motor/mods.

phatsta ygpm

~Alex

Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Phatsta
you're a lazy lazy man

actually the car pulls much better, you can feel the power of the V6 much better when you put the pedal to the metal. it's by far the best mod you could ever do, really (if you're looking for performance, which I am)
aGreed...

agReed...