3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rollin'!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Rollin'!!

the max is finally back on the road after my first input shaft replacement it's been on jacks for about a month while spending a total of about 5 or 6 days working on it. a couple of those being 8 hour days. i'd say i spent a total of aboout 18 hours "working". she's up and running, very quietly i might add. it's wierd taking my foot off the clutch and hearing....nothing for some reason the rear driver window derailed while taking it on the smoke test so now i have to fix that thanks for the advise on those couple problems i had.. mtcookson, greenmax, matt93se, brad, phasta (hopefully he's recovering well), danNY, hope i'm not forgetting anyone. i can finally relax about the car now
Old 10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Glad your back on the road again

My tranny bit the dust last saturday I will be getting the parts for the tranny swap tomorrow[clutch kit,driveshaft seals,rear main seal] then starting on it friday....

I can't wait to get her back on the road and not hear that damn grinding...
Old 10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Way out West

talk to internetautomar (t) about a window regulator.

if you need help figuring that out, Craig Brace's page in the stickies has a nice write up. Saves you time if you haven't done one before.

Good work on the tranny. That stuff is always a PITA -- car up on jack stands and lots of swearing...
Old 10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sweet. nothing better than getting your ride back better than before. maybe you can give me some pointers rebuilding the vg5spd sitting on my shop floor at the least, the input shaft bearing needs to be replaced. i'd really like to build it up strong to match it with the vg i'm about to rebuild, but i may find a few cobwebs when i crack the case. i'll be sure to let you know when i start.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:30 AM

sorry to hear about the upcoming work green. i should have replaced more parts than only the bearing like you are, but i had to get the car back on the road. ok, i was lazy too i did get new axles though. speaking of which, i got worried when i had both axles in and spun the passenger side and watched the driver's side spin in the opposite direction. but i guess this is normal? i also don't understand why the final drive spins in neutral, and will even spin the axles, but you are free to stop it and even move it in the opposite direction...and with a wheel on there isn't enough torque to spin it at all, yet all three shafts are spinning together. hey, i can take it apart and put it back together, doesn't mean i know exactly how it works

chris: yeah, i'll probably rip the door panel off thursday and ghetto rig before i have to be at work at 5. i hope it doesn't rain. yep, brian's got the hookup for the cheap regulators. i figured they just lost all power when they went out instead of the window falling off though... thanks for the comment man. hope the dalles is.....well, the dalles

matt: here's a pic of what you have in store. the tranny isn't that tough. what's tough is the gad damned axle bearing support, hardest part of the job by far. removal was a b1itch, installation was a b!tch, i spent quite a few hours working on that support. pm me if you need some help with any part of the job. as long as you're aware of the check *****, working on the gear box isn't too tough. just study it before you tear in so you don't forget how it's supposed to work or how it goes together. looking things up in the manual isn't ever very much fun. matter of fact, i was so fed up with that bearing support and the chilton book's instruction of "gently pry apart" i doused the manual in lighter fliud, cracked a beer and had myself a campfire
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Hectic
sorry to hear about the upcoming work green. i should have replaced more parts than only the bearing like you are, but i had to get the car back on the road. ok, i was lazy too i did get new axles though. speaking of which, i got worried when i had both axles in and spun the passenger side and watched the driver's side spin in the opposite direction. but i guess this is normal? i also don't understand why the final drive spins in neutral, and will even spin the axles, but you are free to stop it and even move it in the opposite direction...and with a wheel on there isn't enough torque to spin it at all, yet all three shafts are spinning together. hey, i can take it apart and put it back together, doesn't mean i know exactly how it works
Well i have been expecting it to go at any time,so it wasn't a big surprise when it i lost 1st-n-2nd gear...I didn't want to work on the tranny so i got a used one to replace it a few months ago.....
My clutch is original @ 286,500 miles, so i figured i better change it,and the rear main seal is leaking a tiny bit too..but that may be gear oil dripping from the tranny...
You have a vlsd tranny, so the wheels spinning in different directions is normal..
Old 10-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

:golf clap: good job
Old 10-06-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm going to have to do the same to my max before too long. It seems louder than it was a few months ago.