3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Performance increase question....I know you're tired of these...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

Performance increase question....I know you're tired of these...

Guys, it seems too good to be true but...My flex pipe is gone, so I just bought a warpseed y-pipe with a brand new flex section. The gain they are talking about is 15hp-is that at the wheels or crank? Also, I am getting a honda accord CAI-what gain should I expect from that? The seller claims 7hp-wheel or crank?The car is a 89 SE 5spd with advanced timing. Please, give me your best guess for total hp at the crank because if I use the provided numbers from the sellers it sounds too good to be true. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

what year honda intake?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

I am looking at a 93 one since this is the one that fits the VG,right?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Way out West

You will be able to feel a difference in the y-pipe (well, I did on my VE), but the actual hp gains won't be anything like that. If you are that worried about it, put your car on a dyno.

There are a lot of variables with hp, especially hp at the wheels. I wouldn't worry about what the hp gains may or not be on paper, just the improvement you feel.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Take this in mind. They take super cars like Vipers and crap, place it on those, get an appraised hp increase, then generalize. Do not think for one moment they actually take their product and test it on every car to identify the increase. So, like said before, take into consideration many things. Size engine, mileage/condition of engine, other upgrades, even area you live as far as elevation can impact performance. It will be like a person with asthma being able to breath without restriction for the first time. You're helping the car breath better and shove it out easier. Also consider increased fuel economy IF you stay off from REVVING the engine at the new sound and showing off. These mods are worthwhile. "Actual benifit may vary."
Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM

With this "new sound" is it more aggresive? I've got a custom catback with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler - but it doesn't sound as aggressive as the same setup did on my ex-Altima.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:12 PM
mordezmoncou

Do 90-93 Short ram intake tubes really fit on the vg maximas????
also will gutting your cat gain hp? or do anything for me besides make it obnoxiosly loud.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mordezmoncou
also will gutting your cat gain hp? or do anything for me besides make it obnoxiosly loud.
Gutting cat will usually gain a pretty good amount on most cars(5-15hp). But, your car will smell horrible and pollute like heck. IMHO, gutting cat isn't worth it unless you have a custom tune where you know your running the right AFR to burn your gas completely and not stink up the place.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 PM
mordezmoncou

i already havea custom 2.25inch catback ran to an HKS dragger muffler
im thinking about getting a custom 2.25inch y pipe, and a 2.25inch high flow cat aka test pipe.
also porting the TB this weekend, and fully cleaning out the intake manifold and cleaning the car of carbon from top to bottom.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 PM

i already havea custom 2.25inch catback ran to an HKS dragger muffler
im thinking about getting a custom 2.25inch y pipe, and a 2.25inch high flow cat aka test pipe.
also porting the TB this weekend, and fully cleaning out the intake manifold and cleaning the car of carbon from top to bottom.
Guh?

A high flow cat and a test pipe are 2 different things.

That, and the pipe running from the cat to the muffler is called a midpipe.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 PM
mordezmoncou

I was told a high flow cat is a test pipe.
i have a solid custom mandrel bent 2.25 pipe from the cat to the muff.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM

hi-flow cat is just what the name inplies, a catalytic converter that has been optimized for flow. It still works correctly.

A "test pipe" or "race pipe" or what some people call a "midpipe" for some reason, is just a piece of pipe that takes the place of the catalytic converter. Its just a pipe, it does nothing for emissions.

Depening on how well made the hi-flow cat is, it can come pretty close to test-pipe perfromance. Both are pretty loud, but the test pipe is louder. And depening on how rich you are running, you can shoot flames with a test pipe.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 AM

i don't suggest gutting the cat, it will cause some weird idling problems and acceleration problems, it does however seem to make it rev faster, it does allow for more of a free flow, but it causes it to stink and occasionally skip.....not worth it
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 PM
mod or sell?

gutting a properly functioning cat will gain you absolutley ZERO hp

it has been tested time and time again.

the only time cats EVER cost hp was in the very early years when they were the pellet type, a modern monolith brick converter costs no hp
Old 10-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

internetautomart is absolutely corrrectamundo!