3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

UH OH! What Have I Done Now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

UH OH! What Have I Done Now?

From my previous thread about the car still on the lift because of the wrong seal. I put everything back together and thought everything was fine. Took it down off the lift and now it won't move much at all. What could I have done? Now the right axle that I didn't touch free wheels like it's not connected. Did I break something slamming in the new axle?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:37 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

What method did you use to "slam" it in there??
Old 10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you sure the axle engaged into the diff/tranny
Old 10-20-2005, 06:41 PM

My hands. It seemed that it wouldn't seat where it wouldn't just easily pull back out.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DanNY
you sure the axle engaged into the diff/tranny

I was thinking the same thing......I recently replaced my tranny and the D/side axle looked like it was in but the c clip on the end of the axle was not in its groove so to speak....
Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 PM

What would make the other side free wheel?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by bhunter
What would make the other side free wheel?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here but i think the both the axles have to be completely seated for the whole thing[tranny] to work correctly.....
Old 10-21-2005, 06:19 AM

There's one more part to the story that I didn't realize was relevant. When I knew the seal wasn't available I went ahead and changed my oil while I had it up there. I started the car and let it run for about 10 seconds with no axle in the differential. My mechanic tells me there now gears laying in the bottom of the case. Expensive.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

There's one more part to the story that I didn't realize was relevant. When I knew the seal wasn't available I went ahead and changed my oil while I had it up there. I started the car and let it run for about 10 seconds with no axle in the differential. My mechanic tells me there now gears laying in the bottom of the case. Expensive.
Org. loudspeaker

"Matt93SE will you please report to this thread ASAP!!.....

Old 10-21-2005, 07:22 AM
STFU n00b!

Matt93SE reporting in...

You're fooked dude. rebuild the tranny.
umm, actually I don't know. I don't know how the diff would fall apart like that by not having an axle in it..

........ I actualyl don't think that can happen. I can't tell you how many times I've turned the tranny by hand while sitting on the bench and never had a problem getting the axles back in. since the diff and both gearshafts are mounted in the tranny, they can't just "fall down".. and the spider gears inside the diff can't come out because of the way it's made..

try pulling the axles out one at a time and spinning the tranny, then re-seat the axles and see what happens.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

did you actually put the car in gear?

no way the diff would fall out. there's a big retainer pin/shaft in the middle holding everything in...and then to even get that pin out there's a small roll pin you actually have to punch out of the actual differential. you can see it if you take your axles out...you can't actually clearly see all the way because there's a nice steel tube right in the middle of it.

even if you did put it in drive/gear all it would do is roll/turn the spider gears (output).

(not sure what VLSD adds to it...my POV is open diff tranny on the max)

can you actually see the gears sitting at the bottom of the diff? if so then the tranny wasn't rebuilt correctly or SOMETHING is really broken in there.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
did you actually put the car in gear?

can you actually see the gears sitting at the bottom of the diff? if so then the tranny wasn't rebuilt correctly or SOMETHING is really broken in there.

When I changed the oil, no I did not put it in gear. I didn't put it into gear until it was all back together and off the lift. We haven't actually seen anything. My mechanic just deduced what had happened with what I told him. To clarify, he is not my maxima mechanic, he is my fleet mechanic here at work.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Bhunter...Check the amount of space you have between the back of the axle and the tranny seal...The axle might not be seated in there all the way.....I am not sure if it not being seated all the way in will cause the problem you are having...but it could....
Old 10-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Bhunter...Check the amount of space you have between the back of the axle and the tranny seal...The axle might not be seated in there all the way.....I am not sure if it not being seated all the way in will cause the problem you are having...but it could....

There is maybe 1/8 of an inch. I fear the worst.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:00 PM
STFU n00b!

your gears are about an inch wide... if the tranyn is only out 1/8", then you've got no issues. pull the axles out, turn the shafts, reseat them. see what happens.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:14 PM

I may be saying something stupid, but I just want bhunter to feel better. The parts of transmission are made of hard machine steel, that is not easy to destroy w/o knowing. Even if the engine turned the torque convertor while you changed oil, there was no way the parts inside could 'fall down' w/o you hearing loud cracking noise. Have a good weekend!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
I may be saying something stupid, but I just want bhunter to feel better. The parts of transmission are made of hard machine steel, that is not easy to destroy w/o knowing. Even if the engine turned the torque convertor while you changed oil, there was no way the parts inside could 'fall down' w/o you hearing loud cracking noise. Have a good weekend!
I guess the thing that troubles me the most is that the right side that I didn't touch free wheels now even in park. It will spin almost like a rear wheel without the e-brake on if you give it a flip.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:35 AM

sorry to hear about the worries after the wait and work. it's a good 50-60 lbs of force you have to use to pull the left axle so if it comes out easially, it's probably not engaged properly. did you have lube in the tranny when you started the car? good luck.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 AM

It will freewheel thoguh if the other axle is not engaged.

I knwo wiht my axle there was NO WAY of putting it in until it was seated just by hand, had to use a small sledge (2.5 lbs) and a block of wood on the end. Also I thgouht it was all the way insince liek you said there was only a little gap on the end
of the axle where it goes into the tranny.
happy Hitting
Old 10-24-2005, 03:32 PM

Well, after a huge PITA it is solved. The reason the axle wouldn't seat is it was the wrong axle. After doing everything everyone said I finally gave up and took (towed) it to a trusted tranny place and expected the worst. They called in the late afternoon and told me it was done what was wrong. I took the axle core out there (lucky I held on to it) and we set them side by side. Still looked identical to me. They had me look real close at the second level of splines. On the correct one they were so ever slightly shorter in height.
I know the guy at Advance pretty well and maybe they will pay for the whole thing since it's ALL THEIR FREAKING FAULT!!! Thanks to all who helped, you all were actually right, the axle wasn't seated and wasn't ever gonna be!!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Well, after a huge PITA it is solved. The reason the axle wouldn't seat is it was the wrong axle. After doing everything everyone said I finally gave up and took (towed) it to a trusted tranny place and expected the worst. They called in the late afternoon and told me it was done what was wrong. I took the axle core out there (lucky I held on to it) and we set them side by side. Still looked identical to me. They had me look real close at the second level of splines. On the correct one they were so ever slightly shorter in height.
I know the guy at Advance pretty well and maybe they will pay for the whole thing since it's ALL THEIR FREAKING FAULT!!! Thanks to all who helped, you all were actually right, the axle wasn't seated and wasn't ever gonna be!!

Glad you got it going without having to buy a new tranny....We ALL really need to boycott idiotzone and advance auto for this crap...1/2 of the time they give us the wrong part or a defective part.....Rediculous!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i agree idiotzone and advance only get my stuff right 50% of the time thats not a very good figure
i constantly have to return items and on more than one occasion had to return a defective part
boooo

glad you fixed it but i doubt u will get any compensation for your trip to the tranny shop i would definatley try though
Old 10-24-2005, 04:28 PM
STFU n00b!

doh.. they gave you a VG axle it sounds like.
man I hate it when they do sheit like that...
least you/they figured it out!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 AM

glad to hear the it's back on the road. i'd call the corporate office if you want a good shot at compensation. toothless meth addicts at the front desk will laugh at you. that's not going to be pretty..
Old 10-25-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
glad to hear the it's back on the road. i'd call the corporate office if you want a good shot at compensation. toothless meth addicts at the front desk will laugh at you. that's not going to be pretty..
I took all the bills over there today. I think they intend to be reasonable. I do a lot of business there personally and professionally. I won't be buying any more axles or seals there! They weren't laughing
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I took all the bills over there today. I think they intend to be reasonable. I do a lot of business there personally and professionally. I won't be buying any more axles or seals there! They weren't laughing
My guess is you will have to take them to small claims court to get it...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:03 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Harvs94max
i agree idiotzone and advance only get my stuff right 50% of the time thats not a very good figure
i constantly have to return items and on more than one occasion had to return a defective part
boooo

glad you fixed it but i doubt u will get any compensation for your trip to the tranny shop i would definatley try though
just order from me.
You're only a day away
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 AM

Got my money back from Advance today. They of course gave back my money for the axle and the core and then they refunded me the tow charge and the labor charge from the tranny place. They were pretty reasonable. I didn't even have to get mad.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:57 AM

well thats good. so your car is goood to go?

whoops, i didnt read the whole thread.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got my money back from Advance today. They of course gave back my money for the axle and the core and then they refunded me the tow charge and the labor charge from the tranny place. They were pretty reasonable. I didn't even have to get mad.
i am extremely shocked. once my gift certificate wasnt working there and they accused me of stealing it so i had to get the receipt from the person that gave it to me.
good for you though glad to hear everything is working out

just order from me.
You're only a day away
half my car is from u