3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

doing some surgery soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:55 PM

doing some surgery soon

Timing belt needs replaced, and I want to fix my broken exhaust manifold studs. I'll probably hit the water pump while I'm at it. Both heads have broken studs. I figure I can get at the front studs by removing the radiator, and will have plenty of room to work. Guess I'll want to move the AC compressor as well.

What about the rear head? I kind of want to remove and clean my intake manifold anyways, so i was thinking I would just take off the rear head. I REALLY dont want to contort myself and try to dril the rear studs with the head on the motor, under the car, and out in the driveway in the cold. How much more of a pain in the *** would it be to remove the head once the t-belt and intake manifold are off? I know I'll have to get gaskets.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:01 PM

http://mattblehm.com/faq/REPAIRING%2...LD%20STUDS.txt

its in the stickies, the one that says read before asking, lol
Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 PM

sounds painful no matter what you do
Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

[butting in] triple g.. look what I finally put to use [/butting in]
Old 10-23-2005, 06:16 PM

I dont need help with the process, I just want to know people's opinions on which way would be easier. Remove head, or do it with the head still in the car? Since I'm going to have the T-belt and itake manifold off anyways...

I guess to sum it up, how hard is it to get at the studs by lowering the engine a bit? Is there adequate room?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:43 PM

haha nice james!!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:42 PM

to be honest i think ur better off pullin' both heads. once u have the intake system off and exhaust manifolds off along with timing belt then ur better off pullin' the heads. i say pull "both" heads instead of just the rear one cuz that way u replace both head gaskets and it wouldn't make any sense to pull just one head and replace one head gasket. before u pull the front head make sure u mark the distributor in the TDC position before u pull both heads. and while u got both heads out go ahead and replace the cam seals. trust me u'll need it and be gratefull for doin' it cuz in the long run it will be a b!tch and a half to get to while the heads r in the engine bay.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 PM

its about damn time u put a pic of ur ride James. lookin' good man.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4dscPat
... want to know people's opinions on which way would be easier. ...
Whats easier? Rent-a-carage.

If/when heads are out, valve seatings should be reconditioned, stem play checked/seals swapped, whatabout lifter mech....