3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Many many questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:16 AM

Many many questions...

So I own a 90 Maxima.
I still can't figure out if it's a SE or GXE.
I have white faced gauges, the single exhaust not the dual tip, spoiler, AUTO, colored grille, and colored mirrors, no power seats, power doors and windows, I also have the buttongs on the passenger door to unlock.
From what I can tell those things contradict themselves since I think SEs don't have autos in them.

One more question.
I want a nice sounding exhaust that only gets loud when you get on it. I want it to be relatively quiet at idle and such.
I DO NOT want a fart can, I want a muffler with a stock looking tip coming out of it.

Anyway, my actual question or request is, what is everyone's opinion on a nice sounding exhaust/muffler set-up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

``Sam
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You have a se model......

Greddy mufflers would be a good choice....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All my SE's are autos. Your sig looks like an SE. You say colored mirrors but those mirrors look black (SE) My Ractiv muffler might be too loud for you but maybe not without the y-pipe to help out.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 AM

You have an SE. It may have had the muffler replaced at some point with a generic single tip (midas or something like that) I have a GReddy. It's the way to go if you wanna spend those kind of duckie$ on it.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:30 AM

Can someone point me in the way of the greddy mufflers ? (link)
And thanks alot, it seems like a few people like greddy.

And another small question, I have an exhaust leak on my flexpipe.
How hard is that to replace/get off?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 PM

And another small question, I have an exhaust leak on my flexpipe.
How hard is that to replace/get off?[/QUOTE]

You'll really like it and it is easy to replace the whole y-pipe with the flex section included with a Warpspeed y-pipe.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Way out West

Actually, I think you have a GXE and someone used parts off an SE. The hardest thing to swap over would be touchpad keyless entry, which you say you have. Otherwise, the grille, gauges and mirrors can be swapped easily and the dealerships installed lots of spoilers on GXEs. You also don't have foglights, which came on all SEs, as far as I have seen.

An SE is more likely to be an auto tranny, even though NO GXEs have manuals from the factory in the 3rd gens.

I would buy an aftermarket y-pipe before I would fix the flex pipe on your current y. It improves performance and is going to cost just a little more than a shop would charge to put in a new flex.

As for exhaust, you have to pay to get the right sound. I have a GReddy and it sounds awesome. No drone, very quiet at low rpms, no raspiness (fart can sound) but when you open it up it really comes alive. They are not cheap, though.

Probably the best thing to do at about 2/3 the cost is have a shop replace everything from the cat-back, install a pretty long resonator and a quality muffler.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:17 PM
mod or sell?

does the drivers door have the keypad too?
you only mentioned the passenger side, which makes it possible and probable (based on your pic) that the car was hit hard and had the door replaced with one from a GXE even though it is an SE.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Actually, I think you have a GXE and someone used parts off an SE. The hardest thing to swap over would be touchpad keyless entry, which you say you have. Otherwise, the grille, gauges and mirrors can be swapped easily and the dealerships installed lots of spoilers on GXEs. You also don't have foglights, which came on all SEs, as far as I have seen.

An SE is more likely to be an auto tranny, even though NO GXEs have manuals from the factory in the 3rd gens.

I would buy an aftermarket y-pipe before I would fix the flex pipe on your current y. It improves performance and is going to cost just a little more than a shop would charge to put in a new flex.

As for exhaust, you have to pay to get the right sound. I have a GReddy and it sounds awesome. No drone, very quiet at low rpms, no raspiness (fart can sound) but when you open it up it really comes alive. They are not cheap, though.

Probably the best thing to do at about 2/3 the cost is have a shop replace everything from the cat-back, install a pretty long resonator and a quality muffler.
i actualy think he is right....the person just swapped SE stuff over to the GXE to make it look like an SE......one thing u might wanan check....all GXE's came with black face guages, and SE's came with white......so if yours is an SE, your dodmeter was swapped, which could mean you have unknown mileage on your car..........just food for thought
Old 11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
CSP

Wing,sunroof,comfort suspension,etc..
Old 11-21-2005, 04:51 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CSP
Wing,sunroof,comfort suspension,etc..
Old 11-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Good points Cliff. I should have paid more attention before running my mouth.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Samswhitemaxima
So I own a 90 Maxima.
I still can't figure out if it's a SE or GXE.
I have white faced gauges, the single exhaust not the dual tip, spoiler, AUTO, colored grille, and colored mirrors, no power seats, power doors and windows, I also have the buttongs on the passenger door to unlock.
``Sam
I "attempted" to sell Nissans back in '90, but memory is fading.

A "luxury package" was available for GXEs back then. If I recall, it included power seats, Sunroof, Bose, fogs? and may even have included the "heads-up" display with a digital dash. (and the Sonar suspension?) Not too many of these as I recall. Was gonna say that the white face gauges came in the pkg but don't think so now. Also not sure *ALL* SEs came with foglights.

This car is a mix-n-match of some kind. The fog lights could have been curb-blasted and removed. Is there a fog switch on the dash? Wiring in the fog locations (don't remember if the wires were there even if not installed) Is the spoiler soft or hard plastic (plastic is add-on)? Is there a third brakelight in the spoiler (missing is add-on)? Spoiler/trunk could be from SE... is there still the third brakelight in the rear window or a spot for one with a block-off panel? (GXE then... unless rear panel was transplanted too... can't tell.)

Pretty sure GXEs never got whiteface guages... the other stuff (mirrors, grille)could have been transplanted... including the leather wrapped steering wheel and shift **** from an SE (got those? otherwise GXE most likely)

It's either a GXE with all the transplanted pieces, or it's an SE with a replaced single tip muffler, missing fogs (?) and transplanted keyless entry.

Ahhhhhh.... drums or discs in the rear? No one one likely transplants drums in from a GXE to an SE... so if it has them either discs could have been transplanted in or it's an SE.

Ask the dealer to look up your VIN maybe, or find an FSM. See if there is a VIN sticker on the trunklid and see if it matches. If the tire/pressure sticker specifies a tire size (assuming the part it is stuck to hasn't been replaced) a 195 H-rated tire size is GXE, a 205 V is an SE. If it has both... can't help.
Can't remember if climate control was available in the SE or not. That might be a give-away.

Not much else I can think of right now. I'll stop now.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by JC93SE

Ahhhhhh.... drums or discs in the rear? No one one likely transplants drums in from a GXE to an SE... so if it has them either discs could have been transplanted in or it's an SE.
This will most likely hold the answer to your SE or GXE question Samswhitemaxima...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
This will most likely hold the answer to your SE or GXE question Samswhitemaxima...
Only if it doesn't have ABS. All cars with ABS have discs.

I have never had a GXE, but I would imagine the keyless entry would not work if you transplanted the doors onto an SE.

Actually I am sure you could get it to work, but that would require some wiring or some type of different lock timer/alarm? I am not sure, but maybe someone with a GXE could help out.

I had forgotten about the tire thing. I would probably start there. The rear brake light in the window is a good call, too. All SEs came with a spoiler and GXEs had them added, usually at a dealership.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 PM

For the love of GOD RUN THE VIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This could be 10 Maximas of varing age and trim level. Who's knows!?!?! I can't believe you bought a car without even knowing what it is!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by CyMax
This could be 10 Maximas of varing age and trim level. Who's knows!?!?! I can't believe you bought a car without even knowing what it is!!!
I don't think the VIN is going to say if it's a GXE or an SE, since that year nothing was different on the car except the bolt on stuff.

Actually, I know pretty much every option and difference from every year. The thing that's interesting with his car is it has basically all of the SE stuff, except the door keypad for a GXE. So either it's an SE with a GXE door or a GXE where someone swapped a bunch of SE stuff onto it.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CyMax
Oh come on, as long as it has 4 wheels, an engine and a steering wheel what else do you need to know?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:12 PM

I don't think the VIN is going to say if it's a GXE or an SE, since that year nothing was different on the car except the bolt on stuff.
Springs. And a VIN would tell the parts guy/gal which ones you needed.

EVERYTHING is bolt-on to some extent. Ever heard of a VE or a 5 speed being swapped into a GXE?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:27 PM
mod or sell?

5 speed yes, VE not yet.

The VIN might tell if it's a GXE or SE, but don't count on it.
Run it on carfaxs free thingie, it's enough to tell year/make/model, maybe it'll tell trim level too
Old 11-22-2005, 01:41 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Only if it doesn't have ABS. All cars with ABS have discs.
My van has rear abs and they are drum...

Edit: truck chassis though...
Old 11-22-2005, 03:14 AM

For what it's worth, I have well........what I would consider to be a GXE. It has the white face gauges, door key pads on both passenger and driver, no spoiler, auto trans, non-smoked rear tail lights. What I am curious though, is what makes a maxima a GXE or SE? Is it just those simple extra's, or is it performance differences, or perhaps a combination of both?

One more question though. I know this is gonna sound stupid but, to explain what I'm talking about if you look at Cliff Clavin's sig pic above, I see those plastic light covers below the headlights. Arn't those fog lights? If so, why do people put aftermarket fogs underneath those? Why would you not just place the bulb in the stock location.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by michaels'max
One more question though. I know this is gonna sound stupid but, to explain what I'm talking about if you look at Cliff Clavin's sig pic above, I see those plastic light covers below the headlights. Arn't those fog lights? If so, why do people put aftermarket fogs underneath those? Why would you not just place the bulb in the stock location.

Turn signals.....
Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
My van has rear abs and they are drum...

Edit: truck chassis though...
we're talking about 3rd gen maximas here not anything else.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
we're talking about 3rd gen maximas here not anything else.

Just thought i would throw that in there because i like reading cliff clavins 8 paragragh ownings...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Way out West

yeah, I miswrote that. I meant 3rd gens

I just get bored and can't stop writing sometimes
Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 AM

Well here are more options I have that maybe you haven't seen from my pic.
I have the BOSE, leather wrapped shifter and wheel, I DO have a button for the fogs and it is wired, I have abs alll wheel disks, black tinted tails, soft spoiler with 3rd brakelight in it, and no third brakelight inside car, 205 tires.

I don't even know if the keypad works.
I haven't tried to use it, basically because I don't know the code, and I don't know how to use the damn thing. (no user manual came w/the car)
Old 11-22-2005, 06:54 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Well here are more options I have that maybe you haven't seen from my pic.
I have the BOSE, leather wrapped shifter and wheel, I DO have a button for the fogs and it is wired, I have abs alll wheel disks, black tinted tails, soft spoiler with 3rd brakelight in it, and no third brakelight inside car, 205 tires.

I haven't tried to use it, basically because I don't know the code, and I don't know how to use the damn thing. (no user manual came w/the car)

You sir have a SE model..IMO...

I doubt seriously someone changed over all the things necesarry to make it appear to be a se...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:37 AM

Are you saying you'd rather have a GXE?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Are you saying you'd rather have a GXE?

NOOO!...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 AM

Haha ok.
Well I have been looking around for the greddy exhaust, and they are wanting like 700 bucks for it.
Well that's way out of my pricerange.
I am looking to spend around 200 bucks right now.
Any links?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 PM

a very nice way to tell if it is a SE or GXE.....does it have that dam GXE suspension...the electronic sh*t or whatever it is
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM

Haha ok.
Well I have been looking around for the greddy exhaust, and they are wanting like 700 bucks for it.
Well that's way out of my pricerange.
I am looking to spend around 200 bucks right now.
Any links?
No link, but try checking around your local welding shops. Alot of them do good work, just make sure of what your getting before you agree and pay. ie mandrel bends type of pipe used ect. I had a local shop do a cat-back for me for my Probe GT, they did a dang good job for 175 (?).
Old 11-22-2005, 06:31 PM

Yup. Either it's an SE or someone did a lot of work to swap parts. The keyless entry intrigues me, though. SEs didn't have them (EVER, AFAIK). Check the VIN on the door and see if it matches... maybe the door was replaced w/o swapping handles. Does the keyless pad light up at night when you push a button... or the interior light light up? I think that is part of how it works... never had one.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
a very nice way to tell if it is a SE or GXE.....does it have that dam GXE suspension...the electronic sh*t or whatever it is
To answer your question, it has a comfort and power thing on the center console.
I always thought that was for the transmission for some reason.
But above the struts I don't see anything, there is just the bolts, no electronic stuff...

But yea, i'll check the keypad tonight to see if it lights up.

One more question so I don't have to make a new thread.
Where can I pick up a heater core/ are they hard to put in/ where the hell is it?
Sorry, but i've never replaced one....
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM

the power comfort switch is for the transmisson, and as far as the heater core it is right aboe the ecu so, pretty much right behind the radio
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM

oh ok, thanks!
And that seems like it's gonna be a little bit of a ***** huh?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

oh ok, thanks!
And that seems like it's gonna be a little bit of a ***** huh?
Just a little.....

http://blehmco.com/pics/car/interior...re/1_teardown/
Old 11-23-2005, 09:20 AM
mod or sell?

source for heater core:
http://internetautomart.com/maxima/3rdgen/cool.html only Get the OE one. the aftermarket doesn't come with the tubes and the tubes aren't available seperately.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:22 AM

To answer your question, it has a comfort and power thing on the center console.
I always thought that was for the transmission for some reason.
But above the struts I don't see anything, there is just the bolts, no electronic stuff...
for the GXE wasnt there a switch to change the comfort/sport suspension on a GXE??????

Quick Reply: Many many questions...