3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

'89 Max problems: Stereo and power window

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:49 PM

My '89 Maxima has two problems that I would like to resolve:
1. The rear passenger window does not operate. The former owner told me something in the mechanism is broken. He unplugged the motor to keep it from being burned out and pegged the window in the up position. Is this a common problem or any thoughts on a fix?
2. The former owner had a new stereo installed. (Pioneer CD, Polk speakers front) This car had the Bose system. The factory rear speakers work well, but the Polk speakers in the door panels are barely audible. They are connected to the factory plug behind each door. Is there a by-pass for the front speakers? Or, would running a speaker wire direct to the Pioneer head unit be the best solution? I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates or 5.25" Polk monitors from my old NX, will the 5.25's work in the rear to replace the factory speakers?
If my Infinity's or Polks won't work they are available as is a Pioneer AM/FM/CD head unit. (non-detachable faceplate model DEH245)
Old 06-03-2001, 10:49 PM

you can run the speakers directly to the radio if,

there is not a interconnect between the radio and the factory harness on the radio, and only if it's done right but most likely he is a dumb *** aand did it himself and didnt bypass the factory amps. there are 4 factory amps mounted right next to all speakers with the proper kit you just plug the new stereo into it and then the factory clip, and it bypasses it and you can connect any speaker you want but you need that aftermarket harness. I paid like 60 bucks for it. but check the connection at the speakers and see if the amp is linked in the system or not connected at all, then go to the radio and see if there is the aftermarket harness, and from there just repair as nessecary
Old 06-03-2001, 10:52 PM

and as for the motor,

the guy probally lied, it's probally the motor, take the door panel off and see what's up you have to get your hands dirty to see whats really goin on in the kitchen. i guarentee 99% you will see the problem clearly.
Old 06-03-2001, 11:56 PM

I think the window is going to be the regulator, if it was the motor you wouldn't need to prop the window up. The regulators are a very common problem, the motor rarely goes out, and is easy to replace. You can get a new one from Courtesy Nissan or South Point Nissan
Old 06-04-2001, 06:37 AM

Re: you can run the speakers directly to the radio if,

BigJay:
Thanks for the reply. Car gets a good detail this afternoon. (Meguiars #2 & #26) I'll pull the head unit to see how it was wired.

Originally posted by bigjay
there is not a interconnect between the radio and the factory harness on the radio, and only if it's done right but most likely he is a dumb *** aand did it himself and didnt bypass the factory amps. there are 4 factory amps mounted right next to all speakers with the proper kit you just plug the new stereo into it and then the factory clip, and it bypasses it and you can connect any speaker you want but you need that aftermarket harness. I paid like 60 bucks for it. but check the connection at the speakers and see if the amp is linked in the system or not connected at all, then go to the radio and see if there is the aftermarket harness, and from there just repair as nessecary
Old 06-04-2001, 08:28 AM
Steindawg

Re: Re: you can run the speakers directly to the radio if,

Originally posted by ssjones
BigJay:
Thanks for the reply. Car gets a good detail this afternoon. (Meguiars #2 & #26) I'll pull the head unit to see how it was wired.

Also the Kappas should work in the front doors, if they don't I would be interested in buying them from you, also if you do a search on the regulator you will find pretty detailed directions on how to remove/replace them. I am in the process of replacing my third one. CS

Old 06-04-2001, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: you can run the speakers directly to the radio if,

BigJay:
It didn't looks like the plates will fit on the Bose mount, so I'll just leave the new Polks in place and wire correctly. I'm going to try and make the 5.25's work in the rears. I paid $140 for the Infinity 4x6 Kappa (Kappa 46P) and can sell them for $45 shipped in the original packaging. I can do PayPal, credit card or a check if you prefer. Btw, I live in MD.
Al Jones
Originally posted by Steindawg

Also the Kappas should work in the front doors, if they don't I would be interested in buying them from you, also if you do a search on the regulator you will find pretty detailed directions on how to remove/replace them. I am in the process of replacing my third one. CS
Old 06-04-2001, 10:27 AM
Steindawg

Re: Re: Re: Re: you can run the speakers directly to the radio if,

BigJay:
It didn't looks like the plates will fit on the Bose mount, so I'll just leave the new Polks in place and wire correctly. I'm going to try and make the 5.25's work in the rears. I paid $140 for the Infinity 4x6 Kappa (Kappa 46P) and can sell them for $45 shipped in the original packaging. I can do PayPal, credit card or a check if you prefer. Btw, I live in MD.
Al Jones
That's fine by me, can you wait till Friday to do it? I live in VA so the shipping shouldn't be that bad. I'm not familiar with paypal but I can use my check card on Friday.
CS

Old 06-27-2001, 11:27 AM

It's the regulator. Just had mine replace. Went to a auto glass shop.. they were $100 cheaper that the dealerhip and was replaced in about 15 min.

My '89 Maxima has two problems that I would like to resolve:
1. The rear passenger window does not operate. The former owner told me something in the mechanism is broken. He unplugged the motor to keep it from being burned out and pegged the window in the up position. Is this a common problem or any thoughts on a fix?
2. The former owner had a new stereo installed. (Pioneer CD, Polk speakers front) This car had the Bose system. The factory rear speakers work well, but the Polk speakers in the door panels are barely audible. They are connected to the factory plug behind each door. Is there a by-pass for the front speakers? Or, would running a speaker wire direct to the Pioneer head unit be the best solution? I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates or 5.25" Polk monitors from my old NX, will the 5.25's work in the rear to replace the factory speakers?
If my Infinity's or Polks won't work they are available as is a Pioneer AM/FM/CD head unit. (non-detachable faceplate model DEH245)

Old 06-27-2001, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Robenson6
It's the regulator. Just had mine replace. Went to a auto glass shop.. they were $100 cheaper that the dealerhip and was replaced in about 15 min.

or you could do it for free in less then 30 min using the instructions on my site