3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

some help ( quick quetion)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Dysfunctional

some help ( quick quetion)

hey
what kinda ignition do we have? Hall Sensor/Coil or VR Sensor.
im trying to figure out somethings thanks for the help

-dysfunctional

Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I think the VGs used an optical trigger in the distributor...if you are trying to figure out a good EMS to use, look into Megasquirt. the guys over on Hybridz are heavy users of it and would somewhat be in relation to the VGs ignition system
Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ya the vg would be pretty easy with the dist funny you mention MS ive been running MSII on my 95 f150 (fuel only at the monent untill i hook up the 6A) for about 5days now and its pretty bad *** and really easy to biuld took about 10hours and best of all so affordable plus the software is awsome and tunning with the 200$ LC1 is cake

in a few months they should have the router board out which will allow for 6cly coil on plug AKA VE and what a cawinadince my ve should be running again in the spring we will see how it goes but decoding the VE CPS could be tricky
Old 12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I was going to run it on my GTI with the EDIS parts, some which I had bought, but ditched the GTI project. its a very nice entry level system. its a shame people dismiss it because they think its "inadequate" casue its not a big name. even the pre-assembled unit doesn't run over $300 but has proven abilities. to the poster, visit Hybridz.org, the Zcar guys setups when switching to MS is very similar to Maxima alhtough the motors are different.(mostly L-series)

Originally Posted by subs1000w
ya the vg would be pretty easy with the dist funny you mention MS ive been running MSII on my 95 f150 (fuel only at the monent untill i hook up the 6A) for about 5days now and its pretty bad *** and really easy to biuld took about 10hours and best of all so affordable plus the software is awsome and tunning with the 200$ LC1 is cake

in a few months they should have the router board out which will allow for 6cly coil on plug AKA VE and what a cawinadince my ve should be running again in the spring we will see how it goes but decoding the VE CPS could be tricky
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM

i know what you mean on the inadequacy belief but its growing on people pretty fast there are quite a few guys over on turbomustangs using and raving about it and in reality once the routerboard is out of development it will be able to do just about everything the big names can do like siquetial injection and C.O.P. plus all the other standerd stuff but for ALOT less $$$ i think the only thing that causes people to shy away from it is theres no phone number to call like the big names for tech support since its forum based

also as far as what distributor pickup the VG uses you can go here http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/ on the left under ignition there is a section the explains in detail all the different kinds of pickups commonly used, my ford uses a HALL sensor

heres a thread that accually shows a pick of the VG30 trigger wheel

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=11542
Old 12-07-2005, 04:20 AM
mod or sell?

I never expected to see MS brought up over here by anyone other than me.
I see it all the time on anything challenge related over on GRMs message board.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 PM

its pretty amazing what some people can biuld with 2000$ and it makes sense a 200$ standalone would be the only option besides stock
Old 12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
mod or sell?

$2006 dollars next year.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Dysfunctional

im accually getting a megasquirt
but i want to have spark with it.
so i was wondering which setup to go with. msd ignition? crane ignition?

my friend has a megasquirt set up on his eclipse and it rips. i think like 315 WHP at 20lbs of boost on the dodge engine. with the stock size turbo.
he is upgrading to a garrett GT30R
his car is pretty quick

so yeah, if i was going to go ahead and take the distributor off. and go direct ignition? which system would be the easiest?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM

make sure you do alot of reading before you order one there are 2 different versions (MSI and MSII, both can do ignition) and two different PCBs "printed circuit boards" (ver 2.2 and ver 3.0) MSI is $140 ver2.2 , or $190 ver3.0 which has a biult in injector flyback controller (the flyback controler is only needed to drive low inpedance injectors and 3rd gen maximas dont have these but i would get this just for future upgrades), I have MS2 with the ver 3.0 PCB $250 and it is the latest and greatest but the software is still "very young" so it cant do as much as MSI but is strickly being held back by the software, most predict within about 6 month the software will be inplace to have it do everything MSI can do and alot more, so you want to figure out what one you want now because you dont want to buy one now and find out later it cant do somthing you want it to do. i spent about the last 6-8 months heavily surfing the msefi.com as well as reading the megamanual and megatune writeups to learn as much as possible about the system before i bought it and it payed off buy starting the first turn of the key

if i were you i would post a question over on MSEFI.com in the "OEM EFI Hardware" section and ask what ignition setup you should run.

you should be able to use the factory dist and coil or use the factory dist, coil and add an MSD, crane, mallory, accel etc. box like im doing or do ford EDIS 6 most commonly found on 91-94explorers which basicly uses 3coils all in one pachage in wastespark and plug wires, but you cant do 6 induvidual coil packs YET with either ms (they will only control 2coils right now which works fine for wastespark 4cyl) untill the router board is finished and then it will control up to 8 coilpacks for siquential ignition and injection

also i ordered my kit and all the other goodies from

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...kits-c-27.html

they have everything you need i ordered the MS2 kit, stim kit (definitly get this) leed bending tool also suggested, if you need a tunning cable, and an innovate LC1 wideband makes for quick and easy A/F tunning and dont forget to have a good soldering station and multimeter