3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i might be a 3rd genner soon (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:37 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i might be a 3rd genner soon (hopefully)

im hoping to buy N34JZ max. its a nice car. there is only 3 big things i dont get about 3rd gens.

#1 VTC?? some motors have them some dont. does his? what is up with em???

#2 the seatbelts, they slide in his, that is such a drawback,my 2ed gen dosent even have the sliding belts

#3 air bags? does it have atleast a drivers airbag? (thats something i really need)

if i get it. i will be posting here a lot

so i noticed this forum is more alive than the 2 gen WE ARE DEAD!!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:42 PM

only the 1992-1994 SE models have VTC's (variable timing control).... all 3d gens have them seatbelts... if they ever break.. take them to nissan for a FREE fix....they have to...i think 1989-1991 didnt have air bags...1992 had an option.. and 1993-1994 had air bags i think.......check about the rust recall too.....
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by SurraTT
#1 VTC?? some motors have them some dont. does his? what is up with em???
Only the 92-94 SE models had them...yes his does. They are variable timing devices...they start to tick after a while (his doesnt afaik because of his low mileage on the new motor) but are easily rebuilt if you follow directions to a T.

#2 the seatbelts, they slide in his, that is such a drawback,my 2ed gen dosent even have the sliding belts
I dont like it either...the Canadian (I think) and UK (and probably many other contries) maximas have a fixed belt.

#3 air bags? does it have atleast a drivers airbag? (thats something i really need)
looking at his website it does not have an airbag. Airbags (drivers) were an option in 92 but standard in 93 and 94.

its a nice car...good luck with getting it.

edit...sorry vansskaterfreek your post wasnt up when I started my post...otherwise I would have let it be since you pretty much covered it.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:11 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ok so no prob on vtc are they a good thing??

seatbelts, o well.

air bag, is it possible to get one????? i plan to keep this one for mannnny yrs to come i would like atleast drivers air bag

how do yall like his car???? the motor is what gets me, seems to have plently of miles left
Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you 'could' put in an airbag. but then you would have to wire up sensors. where to get those? and i wouldnt trust them to work properly....never know when that thing will blow up in your face. either live without it or get a different max
Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

ok so no prob on vtc are they a good thing??

seatbelts, o well.

air bag, is it possible to get one????? i plan to keep this one for mannnny yrs to come i would like atleast drivers air bag

how do yall like his car???? the motor is what gets me, seems to have plently of miles left
well vtcs are good because they help increase power...they are a blessing and also a curse...when they work right and dont tick they are a blessing but when they tick they are a curse lol...just rebuild them and your good to go or ground them and lose a little power but forget about the tick.

It is not possible to add an air bag...at least not easily or cheaply. You would have to get all the sensors, wiring and of course the wheel. then figure out how to wire it in. From what I understand the 1st gen air bags (for Nissan at least...may have been 2nd or even 3rd gen tech in general though...I honestly dont know) were not that great anyway and some believe they cause more harm than good because of the force they deploy at.

My wife was in a wreck in a 93 Altima (same air bag as Maxima I would assume) and she came away with just minor burns (actually more like scrapes I guess...just minor irritation) on her arm but if I hadnt fussed (just a week before the accident) at her about driving with the seat so close to the wheel (she used to sit right up on the wheel) it could have been bad for her or our baby (she was 6 or 7 months pregnant at the time). Basically I am saying that a 3rd gen air bag may not be all that great anyway and that probably shouldnt sway your decision...but dont base it all on my post because I really havent researched it but just remember reading and hearing about them.

If you really want to attempt to put an air bag in I think I have all the sensors and maybe a wheel. I should have all the cables as well since I still have the parts car in my yard.

I like his car a lot...eveyone has their own style and taste...its not 100% my taste or style but is really close .

Also just remember that with JDM motors its more of an estimate of the mileage rather than fact BUT with his running the way it is and no vtc tick I would say its pretty accurate in his case.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thats a NICE CAR He has. I would to perfer to disable my air bag due to its a first gen
Old 12-24-2005, 06:24 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

ok thanks guys, im not going to worry about vtc, o well on the air bag

now i just wont to get the car
Old 12-24-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
Only the 92-94 SE models had them...yes his does. They are variable timing devices...they start to tick after a while (his doesnt afaik because of his low mileage on the new motor) but are easily rebuilt if you follow directions to a T.

I dont like it either...the Canadian (I think) and UK (and probably many other contries) maximas have a fixed belt.

looking at his website it does not have an airbag. Airbags (drivers) were an option in 92 but standard in 93 and 94.

its a nice car...good luck with getting it.

edit...sorry vansskaterfreek your post wasnt up when I started my post...otherwise I would have let it be since you pretty much covered it.
ha ha no problem dude..at least i was right!

SurraTT..good luck with that car and i hope it gives you no problems! remember we are here to help ya!
Old 12-24-2005, 07:42 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

thanks. i hope it all goes well,

is their a factory service manuel?? i have one for my 87
Old 12-24-2005, 08:05 AM

yes there is a FSM... works wonders man
Old 12-24-2005, 09:59 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

congrats i was gonna buy it but stupid financing fell through so i bought a 99 se. Let me tell you all the who rah about them handling like garbage just simply isnt true car handles great accelerates great and ive gotten more comments on this ride than my 93 se. however you can never deny the third gen IRS own3s all....
Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 AM

Surra, whats up man? good luck with buying it...mine is always a fall back option
Old 12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

damn thats such a nice car, have fun with that one.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:02 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

thanks, i need to get a fsm..

also what up with him he hasent posted, called. or pmed me, im going onvacation tommorow and i wont the car, should i just call him??
Old 12-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Im izz sexay

Yeah a call sounds good especially with this much money.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:46 PM

also what up with him he hasent posted, called. or pmed me, im going onvacation tommorow and i wont the car, should i just call him??
haha its christmas give him a break man. lol

i sent you a pm btw.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i shoulda called him but i didnt......

i just hope its here when i get back

thanks for all ur help guys