3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Before swapping...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Before swapping...

Alright, I finally have a transmission and am just waiting on some money to buy the last few parts I need before the swap, I think I'll do a new suspension setup at the same time, as well...

Question 1: Will the automatic tranny starter work on the 5-speed tranny?

2: Which one (or both) tranny mounts will have to be changed out?

3: How hard is it to drop the engine with the tranny... need to fix some oil leaks and want to do the exhaust manifold studs, too.

4: Do I need a mounting plate to bolt the clutch pedal assembly to, or will it bolt on the firewall?

More to come, thanks in advance...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Alex_V

1-VG auto to VG manual, yes

2-both

3- just some extra labor disconnecting mostly wires and vacume lines and stuff. Just make sure your lift is good.

4-it'll bolt on the firewall, but theres a braket thing that pushes the pedal and assmbly away from the fire wall, its like 2 sleeves that the bolts go through connected by a plate. Its there to space and tie it together.

Also drill from inside the car, for the clutch pedal holes. Others have gone though the engine bay, but thats a pain if you dont have stuff like 90deg drills and stuff.

~Alex

Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Anyone got this mounting plate you speak of?
Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Alright, I finally have a transmission and am just waiting on some money to buy the last few parts I need before the swap, I think I'll do a new suspension setup at the same time, as well...

3: How hard is it to drop the engine with the tranny... need to fix some oil leaks and want to do the exhaust manifold studs, too.

An engine leveler may come in handy if your pulling from the top. I've always had to tilt the whole thing to pull both engine and tranny together from the top.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Alex_V

really? when I pulled the engine and tranny out of my wrecked car, it was a paint because the right frame rail was bent in. If it wasnt bent it would have come out really easy. But then it didnt have a radiator, or anything else in the front of the car. I have to pull the engine out of my daily driver max so Ill have to see if I need one or not.

oh and max, its just 2 tubes that fit over the bolts, and are tied together by a plate, it acts as a spacer so it has to be strong. If yo have a welder you can make it your self.

~Alex

Old 01-21-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
really? when I pulled the engine and tranny out of my wrecked car, it was a paint because the right frame rail was bent in. If it wasnt bent it would have come out really easy. But then it didnt have a radiator, or anything else in the front of the car. I have to pull the engine out of my daily driver max so Ill have to see if I need one or not.

oh and max, its just 2 tubes that fit over the bolts, and are tied together by a plate, it acts as a spacer so it has to be strong. If yo have a welder you can make it your self.

~Alex
Anyone got pics? Is it possible to mount the clutch pedal w/o the plate?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Alex_V

nope, but phatsta might have one in his 5 speed writeup on his cardomain.

I dont have the digi cam, it wont be back untill tuesday....

~Alex

Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 AM

Are you saying no, you don't have pics OR no, you can't mount the clutch pedal without the plate?
Old 01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Alex_V

both, w/o the spacer the clutch pedal will hit the body of the car before its half disengauged.

~Alex

Old 01-22-2006, 04:50 PM

U got one laying around?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Alex_V

nope, my only one is getting abused by my left foot daily.

Its easy egnough to make one though, ill see if i can find a pic.

~Alex

Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM

Can someone find or take a pic of the part?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Can someone find or take a pic of the part?
I've got a pic, lemme get the link...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 PM

http://www.digerati.us/car/Car%20Pro...-Speedswap.htm

From the write up I never finished. The pic that doesn't show is the just the bracket. Looks like its corrupt, I checked the server and it doesn't work. If I have a moment later I'll see if I can dig it up. At anyrate there are a few other pic on that page that show the pedals.