3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another 92 SE 5 Speed. Ideas on Mods??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Another 92 SE 5 Speed. Ideas on Mods??

Hey what up ya'll well I finally came across another 92 SE 5 speed Max. After a heart broken 3 yrs since my original Max loss it's timing chain, and just messing up everything. A link came un done some how got caught in something and boom, oil everywhere!!! Total loss!!!! A month ago a came across a really sad 92 Max Auto. She needed some work, but I was willing even though I wanted a 5 Speed. Well she started to act up really bad, I mean doing 60 or 70 on the freeway, and she would just cut off. Got rid of it, andnow I found my baby!!!

Question, I want to add some speed. What is the 1st mod(Cheep) that I can add to spice up her life besides the K&N Cone Filter???
Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Suprise butsechs!!!

they read stickies in Philly?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 AM
mod or sell?

Y-pipe (I have one for sale)
CAI (I have one for sale)
FSTB (I have one for sale)
Turbo (I have, no I don't )
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dillbag
they read stickies in Philly?
What cha been???
Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Y-pipe (I have one for sale)
CAI (I have one for sale)
FSTB (I have one for sale)
Turbo (I have, no I don't )
Okay sop work with me here, I am a newbie. So the Y-Pipe is that for the exhaust?

And what is the FSTB?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by camron21
Okay sop work with me here, I am a newbie. So the Y-Pipe is that for the exhaust?

And what is the FSTB?
Front strut tower bar, y-pipe is a down pipe off of the headers or exhaust manifold. I have two turbos for sell...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
mod or sell?

y-pipe is the pipe from exhaust manifold to the cat
FSTB = Front Strut Tower Brace
Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 PM

y-pipe is the pipe from exhaust manifold to the cat
FSTB = Front Strut Tower Brace
Okay the Tower Brace is for the front sterring or am I confusing that with the stabilizer bar?

And the y-pipe helps with speed? And is ity hard to put on?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:31 PM
mod or sell?

y-pipe helps the engine breath better.

the brace is to help make the chassis more solid and the steering response more solid (?)
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 PM

y-pipe helps the engine breath better.

the brace is to help make the chassis more solid and the steering response more solid (?)
Okay I feel you, sounds like a plan. How much more Horse Power does the Y-Pipe add? Sounds like it can make some noise!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:41 PM

Question, I want to add some speed. What is the 1st mod(Cheep) that I can add to spice up her life besides the K&N Cone Filter???
The most effective power train mod that you will ever do to the VE 5spd, other than a turbo or nitrous, is a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel and an Exedy clutch. Period. End of story. However, these mods are neither cheap nor easy to install. I would look into a www.warpspeedperformance.com y-pipe. Get the mandrel bent version. It will add a signifcant amount of horsepower to your motor and is fairly simple to install. Just be sure to unhook the ground on your battery for about 24 hours after you install the pipe. This will allow you ECU to reset.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
The most effective power train mod that you will ever do to the VE 5spd, other than a turbo or nitrous, is a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel and an Exedy clutch. Period. End of story. However, these mods are neither cheap nor easy to install. I would look into a www.warpspeedperformance.com y-pipe. Get the mandrel bent version. It will add a signifcant amount of horsepower to your motor and is fairly simple to install. Just be sure to unhook the ground on your battery for about 24 hours after you install the pipe. This will allow you ECU to reset.

Aight, preciate the good info, my man Internetautomar had to tell me what the joint was 1st. I got it now. I'm gonna check that out. Good looking out ya'll!!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Way out West

The first realistically cheap mod you can do yourself is going to be the aftermarket Y-pipe. It doesn't add much "noise" but it does increase whp by eliminating the probably the biggest restriction in the exhaust.

Once you get the pipe ($200 or less), all you need are some basic tools and a jack/jackstands.

The fidanza/ACT (or Exedy) is much more expensive, more than $500 just for the parts, not including any kind of labor. Putting in a new clutch a relatively big job, unless you are well equipped with tools and mechanical.

Personally, I like having a nice tight suspension, in the form of upgraded springs and struts. I put off this mod until last, but I really enjoy the increased cornering, stability and the stance of the car.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
Hey pervis,

I am going to be replacing my trans soon and will be replacing the clutch at the same time. What will I notice different if i was to switch to the clutch setup you mentioned above?

Thanks,
micah
Old 01-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
The first realistically cheap mod you can do yourself is going to be the aftermarket Y-pipe. It doesn't add much "noise" but it does increase whp by eliminating the probably the biggest restriction in the exhaust.

Once you get the pipe ($200 or less), all you need are some basic tools and a jack/jackstands.

The fidanza/ACT (or Exedy) is much more expensive, more than $500 just for the parts, not including any kind of labor. Putting in a new clutch a relatively big job, unless you are well equipped with tools and mechanical.

Personally, I like having a nice tight suspension, in the form of upgraded springs and struts. I put off this mod until last, but I really enjoy the increased cornering, stability and the stance of the car.
Yeah I have got to get me some tools!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Spolier tighting

Also what can be used to tighten up the wing(spolier)?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You could do this...
Old 01-10-2006, 03:12 PM
mod or sell?

I said that already

no way to tighten the spoiler.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:07 PM

first and best mod out there for a newbie would be a pair of reading glasses. read the stickies y0!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:17 PM

most hp/$ is the ebay cai.....

Most effestive hp mods:
fidanza flywheel
CAI
UDP
Y-pipe
Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

thank you g-man...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
What cha been???
what does that mean?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm a newbie...HELP!!!!!!!

Since I haven't posted 15 times I'm stuck having to ask this question in another thread. I have a 1991 Maxima SE. I've been hearing a lot of engine noise lately. Basically, when I turn the heater on I hear a whining sound. I still hear it when I turn it off but it's very minimal. It's sort of a low pitched whine. When I first heard it I thought it might be the power steering in need of fluid but that's not it. I'm kinda at a loss for what it can be. Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by mtrain
Hey pervis,

I am going to be replacing my trans soon and will be replacing the clutch at the same time. What will I notice different if i was to switch to the clutch setup you mentioned above?

Thanks,
micah
I can't say for sure as I have never run the Exedy with a stock flywheel. I know that it does have more holding power than stock so you should notice less slipage when shifting fast / power shifting. Might pm MrGone and see what he says - he is the guy who convinced to install the Exedy / Fidanza in the first place.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
first and best mod out there for a newbie would be a pair of reading glasses. read the stickies y0!
lol...... thanks for the info tripleGmax!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:14 PM

lol...... thanks for the info tripleGmax!!!
haha no problem. i was just messin, but good luck with the VE.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
haha no problem. i was just messin, but good luck with the VE.
Aight thanks, and yes there is a lot of info in this thang. I don't know where to start!! lol
Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Alex_V

For the spoiler the best thing to do is take the stock one off, and see if there is any rust, and if there is get rid of it, then primer just that area and then glue the spoiler down. I did that on my first max and I have to do it on my current one too.

~Alex

Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
For the spoiler the best thing to do is take the stock one off, and see if there is any rust, and if there is get rid of it, then primer just that area and then glue the spoiler down. I did that on my first max and I have to do it on my current one too.

~Alex
one of these days your spoiler is going to be lying in the freeway
Old 01-14-2006, 06:20 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Hectic
one of these days your spoiler is going to be lying in the freeway

JB weld homie.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:27 AM

when i hear "glue", i think of elmer's
Old 01-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Alex_V

Hmm I didnt specify,well I did, then lost the post and forgot to specify the second time. I ment epoxy, use like 2hour epoxy for the best strength. Get it at any hobby store and some places like homedepo Im sure will have it.

~Alex

Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Hmm I didnt specify,well I did, then lost the post and forgot to specify the second time. I ment epoxy, use like 2hour epoxy for the best strength. Get it at any hobby store and some places like homedepo Im sure will have it.

~Alex
i used liquid nail worked wonders for me and is holding it down great.. i even pick uip the runk with the wing and it is still on!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Shameless threadjack

I just joined yesterday and for some reason can't start my own thread (yet?) So I'll throw my question in here since I'm interested in some mods as well. I just bought a '93 Maxima LE, seems to have all the interior options except leather. The thing is, I can't find ANY info on the LE trim level, seems to not exist. How can I tell what engine I have? Do I have ABS? Is there a list of what comes standard in an 'LE'?

thx...
Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Amigajoe
I just joined yesterday and for some reason can't start my own thread (yet?) So I'll throw my question in here since I'm interested in some mods as well. I just bought a '93 Maxima LE, seems to have all the interior options except leather. The thing is, I can't find ANY info on the LE trim level, seems to not exist. How can I tell what engine I have? Do I have ABS? Is there a list of what comes standard in an 'LE'?

thx...
The's no LE just GXE and SE
To tell the difference do you have white face guages or black?
White = SE with the VE30DE engine
Blacke = GXE with the VG30E engine

Do you have an abs light in the guage cluster? If so then you have ABS.

For All models power windows, locks, tilt steering, ac, power mirrors are all standard.

For SE standards and are GXE options are sunroof(on 89-91 SE's then came an option to 92-94 se's also) ABS, 4 wheel disk brakes (Only if GXE has abs but SE doesn't have to have abs), Rear spoiler, Fog lights.

I know I missed a few things but check the stickys.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmmm

Well, there is a nice little chrome 'LE' on the back of the car. Maybe somebody swapped them? I have the sunroof, spoiler, foglights, and power seats but I guess they were part of an option package for the GXE? I'll have to take a look at the gauges, don't remember the color...
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Probably stuck an LE badge from a Camry on the thing...damn fools.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a '93 maxima SE with a bad engine, the guy at the auto store told me I could fit a 300zx engine in there. Is that true??? He was it was geared better and I would love to drop one in if possible. Any answers would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Mike Shepard
I have a '93 maxima SE with a bad engine, the guy at the auto store told me I could fit a 300zx engine in there. Is that true??? He was it was geared better and I would love to drop one in if possible. Any answers would be great. Thanks!
to put it simply:
he was blowing smoke up your a$$

while a 84-89 300Z and most 85-94 maximas used the VG30E motor
you have a VE30DE motor which was used at no time other than 7/91-3/94 and only the nissan MAXIMA SE.
and the gearing is total bullshi+. that has to do with the transmission and differential, neither one is shared between the 2 cars
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Mike Shepard

Please step away from the engine bay.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pic

-Just in case anybody doubted me...

Quick Reply: Another 92 SE 5 Speed. Ideas on Mods??