3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

broken axle or broken transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:44 AM
il massimi bassi

broken axle or broken transmission?

Ok. My girlfriend drives a 92 Ve auto., never had tranny issue. Drivers side cv joint is from Napa and was installed by local mechanic about 5 k ago. Cars been fine, i noticed that on the highway above 65 it would shake horrible and go away at 75. I jacked up the front end and felt no play and told her it was her set of dry rotted mismatched tires and new tires would cure this.

Today she pulled onto a road making a turn and lost everything. Drive , reverse, 1 ,2 etc. If you put it into drive reverse park 1 one 2 it makes a icky grinding noise. This thing gave no symtoms of failure and I replaced the transmission fuid with nissmatic D 4 k ago.

Im goin to her place to look at it today. If I jack the front end up and put it in drive I should see one axle turning and the other axle stationary I believe or at least get a better idea. Im looking for some easy ways to make a quick but accurate diagnosis on this as it is cold as can be here.

Some quck help is always appreciated...

rich H
Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like one of the axles slipped out and needs to be jammed back in.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 AM

how could the axle slip out???? there isnt that much play in the axle to make it slip out......maybe your boot got crackedand the pivot joint broke or something ... or maybe your tranny just bit the dust..... when you go take a look check axles first.. and if not axles.. it may be your tranny
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 AM

yeah, my auto tranny is biting the dust. when i first start it up in the morning and put it in gear, it kills the engine as if the tranny was in two gears at once. same thing when i come to a stop. after it warms up, it works fine. checked the oil, its red but when i wiped the dipstick, black junk came off.

i guess i'll take it to a shop before it takes a dump on the street and see what the bad news is.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
il massimi bassi

ok i jacked it up. the passenger side axle popper out of the tranny and leaked fluid everywhere. both the innner and outer cv boors are intact but they are oem @ 139k. I hope the joint broke internally and caused it to pop out. What else could have caused the axle to popout?

thanks guys
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 AM
mod or sell?

my buddies van was eating axles, turns out his subframe was cracked and kept popping the joint apart.
new subframe,new axle, same sh!ttyvan
Old 01-16-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
yeah, my auto tranny is biting the dust. when i first start it up in the morning and put it in gear, it kills the engine as if the tranny was in two gears at once. same thing when i come to a stop. after it warms up, it works fine. checked the oil, its red but when i wiped the dipstick, black junk came off.

i guess i'll take it to a shop before it takes a dump on the street and see what the bad news is.
thats what mine did and then poof.. it was gone
Old 01-16-2006, 11:16 AM
il massimi bassi

this was the (oem) first axle on the drivers side. the passenger was replaced.

I hope this is all that is wrong
Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 96ItaliaSE
this was the (oem) first axle on the drivers side. the passenger was replaced.

I hope this is all that is wrong

Even if it is all thats wrong, you still have to find out why the axle had enough play to be able to pop itself out of the tranny! With everything tightend and in place there is no way that the axle should have enough room to move around enough to pop out. The lower control arm holds the spindal in towards the ceneter of the car, ensureing that the axle cannot move in or out. Just a warning!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
il massimi bassi

even if it broke internally? I mean it looks ok physically. In referring to my orginal post the car had a bad vibration like a wheel out of balance. Now I am wondering if part of the shake was the axle vibrating too much from being worn internally or if its not related at all.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:27 PM
il massimi bassi

ok im bumping this cuz i got new info. Local garage popped the axle back in. They said they think it may the output shaft bearing and it shoudnt have popped out like that. Any ideas?? that axle was replaced but not by me, ive put a good 3,000 miles on the car without any issues.

I hate this because I am a good 2 hours away from my GF and its 5 degrees outside.

What are the all possible reasons for an axle popping out BESIDES a incorrect part?

thanks again
RH
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That stinks if it was just a matter of a bad part. I suppose if you had contaminants in your tranny fluid than that might grind gears and "kick" the axle out. the knuckle would have to be loose for that to happen, I'm guessing. Good luck. It's too darn cold out to work on this stuff in a cold garage.