3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Spoiler help on 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:56 PM

Spoiler help on 3rd gen

I am having a hard time deciding what spoiler to put on this car. I like the look of stock but I have seen a couple others that looked good as well. Does anyone have pics of different style spoilers?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 PM

I am also in need of a new spoiler. I just found out today that the SE one from Nissan is $360 and the lamp is $90. I have it already, but it's cracking and one of the fastener things seems to be broken. I am looking at this one, but I'm wondering if it will be a direct replacement of the original one. I'll probably email them tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 PM
heresmymind

On ebay a 3rd generation stock wing + lamp is 100$

Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 PM
what can my max do for me

and for a "few" bucks more u can get one from stillen

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=20508&page=1

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...&id=323&page=1
Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 AM
mod or sell?

those stillen's are more than the cost of my car!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 AM

My Spoiler is poped up on the edges and I can push down onto the trunk to make it flush but when I let go it pops back up!

What should I do to glue it down?

Should I take the whole thing off to clean the surfaces?

I think I heard someone say to use windshield glue or something?

Thanks for the Help in advanced
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 AM

now, now internetautomar...everyone needs to make a nominal profit so they can feed their children .
Old 01-31-2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
My Spoiler is poped up on the edges and I can push down onto the trunk to make it flush but when I let go it pops back up!

i've heard winshield glue and i've heard 2-part epoxy...

either way just realize that u're never gonna be able to repaint the trunk properly.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

a few facts I figure I will share with you guys.

The Stillen type II spoiler is the exact same (same mold and everything) as the one Souled posted.

Here is the problem with them. They are a horrible fit and you have to do a lot of work on them and the trunk lid to make them work. I ordered a spoiler just like the one Souled posted for my old 92 (PA requested it for the sale of the Car) and when I got it I was very supprised that it was identical to my old Stillen Type II (sold to another member).

When you put the spoiler on the trunk lid you will see that the middle doesnt even touch and on the end pads only the edge touches. I used fiberglass to fill in the gaps to make it sit right (on both spoilers...actually someone else did it for me on the Stillen). The other problem is with the trunk...the bolt holes dont align so you have to weld up your holes and re dill new ones.

Here are some pics of the two spoilers:

This is the Stillen clone (actually same manufacturer but got it from a different place rather than Stillen) on the back of my old 92 as PA was taking it home after buying it:

Here is my old Stillen type II when I had it on my 93:

I am sorry but I dont have any pics of how bad off it is.

IMO it is the nicest looking spoiler for the 3rd gen. Close to factory but different enough to be nicer but not ricey.

Like I said though it takes a lot of work to fit but if you can do fiberglass work and have a gxe trunk or can weld you can do it.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up, awsm66. When you say, "have a gxe trunk," what do you mean by that? Are they different than the SE trunk lid? I'm very disappointed to hear this, I didn't think it would be this much trouble. I'll have to ask my dad if he's up to the task, hah. Thanks again awsm66.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:09 AM

he mentioned having a gxe trunk in case one is not as proficient in welding up the old mounting holes in ur SE trunk...since the original mounting holes don't line up with the aftermarket wing....the alternative being the gxe trunk which doesn't come with a wing = so no mounting holes to weld up
Old 01-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
he mentioned having a gxe trunk in case one is not as proficient in welding up the old mounting holes in ur SE trunk...since the original mounting holes don't line up with the aftermarket wing....the alternative being the gxe trunk which doesn't come with a wing = so no mounting holes to weld up

yup what he said...its just easier if you have a GXE trunk with no spoiler so you can just mark off the bolt holes and drill instead of welding up the existing holes in the SE trunk and re drilling new holes.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:36 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
now, now internetautomar...everyone needs to make a Phenominal profit so they can feed their children .
Fixed your error
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Man

clean the trunk really well.. take out all the rust where the spoiler was supposed to be touching the trunk (make sure you remove spoiler from trunk before all this).. make sure you get ALL the rust out of there.. probably go down th the foam.... and get a tube of liquid nail and re-attatch and put like 4 clamps down tight to it so itll be nice and tight...... mine has been on like that for about 6 months now and it is fine!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 PM

just spend the $80 on spoiler that will last you longer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR-...33046528QQrdZ1
Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by red-line-racer

it says it is at $10 and it has only an hour left... it dont sound right.......and it will last the same as your old wing.. you still have to secure this one down also
Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by red-line-racer

beware...that is the same spoiler as the one I was talking about earlier (the one stillen uses). Its a good looking spoiler as said but be ready to do work to make it fit.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
it says it is at $10 and it has only an hour left... it dont sound right....
look at the shipping

welcome to ebay
Old 01-31-2006, 04:57 PM

Why would a spoiler made for a certain car not fit that car perfectly? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
mod or sell?

because people don't want to spend money on a perfect fit, they'd rather save money and do more work
Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I been wanting a spoiler for my car since I dont have one, damn GXEs. I've seen one somewhere online, it doesnt have the lamp like the OEM spoiler..it has LEDs built in the spoiler and looks real nice but I dont know where to find it..

None of those links worked for me but then again I'm on a school computer right now.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Way out West

I have a spoiler that I thought was a Stillen Type 2, but after reading AWSM66's posts, I am not sure wtf it is.

It is not foam, but some kind of hard plastic. It has an LED light and two posts that line up with the stock holes, but maybe not because it's hard to eyeball it with the stock spoiler still on.

I saw it on a car that a guy had wrecked and put on ebay. I offered him $50 shipped for it and he sent it to me. I haven't been able to get it painted yet, so it is sitting in my garage. It looks like it lines up with everything on my car and in the picture from ebay, it fit perfectly and was mounted on a 3rd gen.

I need to take a pic of it. My guess is maybe it was some kind of extra thing installed from a dealer. I remember my step-mom bought a 4th gen GLE and paid a bunch of money to have a spoiler put on by the dealer. Maybe some company made them for this?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by souled
Why would a spoiler made for a certain car not fit that car perfectly? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I dont understand it either. Honestly I dont know what donor trunk lid they used because it really isnt even close. I wish I had some pics but think of the center posts about 1-1.5" away from the trunk lid and the edge pads with just the very edge of them touching.

I know from experience though because I have had two (same spoiler just got them from different places). It sucks too because I paid $200 shipped for the stillen one about 3 years ago...the box it came in didnt even say Stillen on it but had the actual manufacturers name on it. At least they could have given me a Stillen box for the money I paid lol.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I have a spoiler that I thought was a Stillen Type 2, but after reading AWSM66's posts, I am not sure wtf it is.

It is not foam, but some kind of hard plastic. It has an LED light and two posts that line up with the stock holes, but maybe not because it's hard to eyeball it with the stock spoiler still on.

I saw it on a car that a guy had wrecked and put on ebay. I offered him $50 shipped for it and he sent it to me. I haven't been able to get it painted yet, so it is sitting in my garage. It looks like it lines up with everything on my car and in the picture from ebay, it fit perfectly and was mounted on a 3rd gen.

I need to take a pic of it. My guess is maybe it was some kind of extra thing installed from a dealer. I remember my step-mom bought a 4th gen GLE and paid a bunch of money to have a spoiler put on by the dealer. Maybe some company made them for this?
I remember seeing yours (i think you sent me a pic or something). I dont think yours is a type2 because if I remember correctly it was pretty much straight across instead of angled up on the sides and flat above the light. Its been a while though so I really cant remember.

I do know that there were other 2 post type spoilers made by other companies because I have seen them (straight design not angled like the Stillen type).

Even though yours may fit it doesnt mean its not a stillen though. He could have had the work done to make it fit right...you never know.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 PM

My current spoiler (which is the SE one I think) is really messed up. The paint is wearing off, and one end is all cracked. You can pretty much see underneath most of one end of the spoiler. My dad and I were looking at it, and we discovered this little plastic thing that is sitting in the bolt hole, but it's not connected to either the trunk or spoiler. We were wondering how the spoiler connects to the trunk. On the inside of the trunk lid where the holes are, there is a little rectangular peg things inside the lid part (ie you can look in the hole and see it in there).

First off, can anyone explain how the spoiler is connected to the trunk lid and possibly what that broken piece may be.

Also, what do you guys recommend I do. I'm not going to buy another OEM spoiler seeing as they are $360, and I don't think I want to go through all the trouble with the Stillen clone one. We were thinking of just permanently sealing the wing down and then just repainting it (hoping we can paint over the cracks or whatever).

I can take pictures if you guys don't know what the hell I'm rambling on about, lol.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

the center has 4 studs that go through the deck lid which are attached with 4 nuts. The edges have snaps that go in metal grooves of the spoiler...those metal grooves are usually what messes up because they rust out. The snaps snap into the white plugs in the trunk lid.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM

If I decide to repaint the spoiler and seal it down, would painting over the cracks hide them?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:13 PM

Ok, so, its a good thing my thread didnt get jacked or anything... JK I dont care but seriously what other spoilers have been put on these cars. I kinda like the one with the real r33 tails.

PS souled I think you might be better off with a little bondo and sanding to fix cracks before painting
Old 02-01-2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tampamaximus
I kinda like the one with the real r33 tails
get ready to pay up the a$$ for that one..but i agree it looks decent on the 3rd gen.

you could probably find one cheaper but:
http://www.aerotech.co.nz/Part-967.html
Old 02-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Tampamaximus
Ok, so, its a good thing my thread didnt get jacked or anything... JK I dont care but seriously what other spoilers have been put on these cars. I kinda like the one with the real r33 tails.

PS souled I think you might be better off with a little bondo and sanding to fix cracks before painting

it didnt get jacked...this whole thread is about spoilers...if you dont think there is a lot of good info in here about spoilers (mainly the stillen spoiler) then sorry.

you originally stated you liked the factory spoiler thats why I didnt really mention any others but now that you said you liked the Skyline spoiler........

WW and Stillen both make a Skyline TYPE spoiler that looks similar and WW also makes another type of spoiler that looks good as well. Here are a couple of examples...one of the Skyline type and the other of a different type (made by WW)

THis is Bru91's max with a different WW spoiler:

and this is maximizd27's maxima with the Stillen (maybe WW...cant remember)spoiler:

Old 02-01-2006, 04:59 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Hectic
get ready to pay up the a$$ for that one..but i agree it looks decent on the 3rd gen.

you could probably find one cheaper but:
http://www.aerotech.co.nz/Part-967.html
very similar is the F40 wing (sorry no pic on a max)
http://www.affsales.com/dsp_parts.cf...Wing%2FSpoiler
Old 02-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Maxima of the Month Dec. 07

Originally Posted by awsm66
it didnt get jacked...this whole thread is about spoilers...if you dont think there is a lot of good info in here about spoilers (mainly the stillen spoiler) then sorry.

you originally stated you liked the factory spoiler thats why I didnt really mention any others but now that you said you liked the Skyline spoiler........

WW and Stillen both make a Skyline TYPE spoiler that looks similar and WW also makes another type of spoiler that looks good as well. Here are a couple of examples...one of the Skyline type and the other of a different type (made by WW)

THis is Bru91's max with a different WW spoiler:

Yep the WW spoiler i have has great fitment, no problems at all. I like it because it's different from stock but not too extreme. I got it from streebeatcustoms in 2003. I also remember Nopi carrying them, but i don't know if either still has them.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
very similar is the F40 wing (sorry no pic on a max)
http://www.affsales.com/dsp_parts.cf...Wing%2FSpoiler

check the last post of page 1 of this thread...I posted pics.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Ok Im definately feelin this one. Maybe the new Evo wing with the carbon fiber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06...34392558QQrdZ1

Just gotta make sure the dimensions are right. Thanks for the pics.