3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The plan: Turbo VG

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:22 AM

The plan: Turbo VG

So my VG in my 91 SE has 140k miles on it. It is in such great shape in terms of the body, interior, and all other mechanicals that when the engine goes (which might not be for awhile) I am going to rebuild and turbo the motor. Is there any suggestions of pistions, cams etc that I can use to make the engine a bulletproof VG turbo? I am starting small one of my first steps is getting a new, aluminum shield for under the engine. Has anyone had this done?

ps, maybe theis should be in the turbo/supercharge forum, but I figured you 3rd gen guys know your stuff.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:30 AM

There are 2 or 3 members who have a turbo. Though I have a feeling the first post will be something like "save your money for maintenace, and just get a Warpspeed Y-pipe if you want more power"

Good luck with it, I'm going to do a rebuild, but I am going for all motor. I'm not sure what they use, but I would suggest looking into Jim Wolf Technology for some engine parts. www.jimwolftechnology.com
Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 AM
backNblackj30

dont listen to the basher's. Do it right and you can have a mean turbo vg setup. If its an auto, ditch the plans.
just rebuild to stock specs. nothing fancy, dont put to much money into it. it should hold up fine. make sure you get a good size turbo, and some good custom fabbed manifolds.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by backNblackj30
dont listen to the basher's. Do it right and you can have a mean turbo vg setup. If its an auto, ditch the plans.
just rebuild to stock specs. nothing fancy, dont put to much money into it. it should hold up fine. make sure you get a good size turbo, and some good custom fabbed manifolds.
What bashers? No one said anythinng negative. BTW dumbass, the auto trans is probubly the weakest, esp. at stock specs. He'll at least need a different torque converter.

And what the hell does a 'good sized' turbo???

You can use stock z31 turbo manifolds. Maybe next time instead of posting **** you don't know about you should just take a walk. So someone who actaully is in here for good input won't be miss lead. Therefore in this case, blowing a trans.

I see your still a little new. Welcome to the maxima .org.

Your best source is the turbo section.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 AM
backNblackj30

do you have a boosted 3rd gen? No i think not. my cousin has one, and its been a learning project to say the least. z31manifolds work, but we had better luck having someone custom make some. also he has a t3/t4 turbonetics turbo, good bit of other goodies. no i wont post pictures, no i wont post slips. Its not a public viewing car yet, we know what its capable of, we dyno tested diff turbo's diff manifolds, and we had the best luck and numbers with having someone custom fab some.
just throwing advice out there, a freshly rebuilt vg with quality parts, will handle boost very well btw.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:53 AM

So limited info is your idea of 'good advice'.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

Z32 manifolds from the DOHC fits the SOHC engine? The turbo ones? They are twinturbo. How are you crossing them to make a single?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

backNblackj30- Do YOU have a boosted 3rd gen? So you know a little bit about SOMEONE ELSES setup. If you were in my zip code I would give you a cookie and a big glass of stfu to wash it down.
ERIC- If you search, you will find that a stock vg engine will hold 350hp reliably. If your engine is good now, then turbo it as is. There are turboed VGs with over 200K miles on them, no internals. There are more than three turboed VGs on this site. If you were to want to push more than that, then you will need to get a built transmission, as the Borg Warner one will break. Just donate the money and search; all of the info is available.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks to the people with real advice. I am glad to hear theat my VG engine is turbo ready, however there are a few things to consider like chips etc.

Has anyone had a custom skidplate made to replace their plastic underbody shields?

BTW: its a 5 speed not an automatic...
Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM

I donno why he said anything about it being auto. (For some reason he thinks he's driving a j30)

You may want to consider getting a VE tranny because of the limited slip. It's already easy to slip on one wheel withoust boost.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
I donno why he said anything about it being auto. (For some reason he thinks he's driving a j30)

You may want to consider getting a VE tranny because of the limited slip. It's already easy to slip on one wheel withoust boost.
with a little work you can ghetto rid a LSD on the VG diff.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

do you have a boosted 3rd gen? No i think not. my cousin has one, and its been a learning project to say the least. z31manifolds work, but we had better luck having someone custom make some. also he has a t3/t4 turbonetics turbo, good bit of other goodies. no i wont post pictures, no i wont post slips. Its not a public viewing car yet, we know what its capable of, we dyno tested diff turbo's diff manifolds, and we had the best luck and numbers with having someone custom fab some.
just throwing advice out there, a freshly rebuilt vg with quality parts, will handle boost very well btw.

if i'm understanding correctly... you really don't know anything about his set up. give us some information that would lead me to believe you had a hand in this.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:34 PM

manifolds
injectors,
JWT, Romulator, Zemulator, or piggyback for control
piping
aftercooler, if you're planning on running some higher boost
upgraded clutch
better wheels and tires (you're definitely going to need some more traction)

tranny wise, it'll hold up for a little while if you don't beat on it too hard (high rev clutch drops and such). the best would be to build it up a bit. the input shaft is the absolute weakest link in these trannies. IPT can put a better bearing in to fix that issue. from there you could do the normal cryo treatment and such to make sure the gears handle whatever your throw at it.

engine wise, it'll handle a lot of abuse. there have been guys making well over 300 whp in their Z31's. one guy was making around 500 whp on the stock bottom end. another guy was doing around 400 driving it daily. the pistons will likely be the first to break in these engines. BRC can custom make some pistons to handle the abuse. the Z32 rods might be an upgrade... but for the longest time everyone thought the rods were cast when they are actually forged, so there might be a chance they'd be no stronger than the Z32 rods. i'll have to compared their size and design to the maxima engine i have apart to see if there are any differences.

you might find crap online about the crank only handling 350-ish horsepower but that's total bs. the crank would likely be the last thing to break in this engine.

the heads and intake can definitely use some work to improve flow. a good port and polish with some nice cams designed for a turbo setup will likely go a long way. the valves can be upgraded to some 1 mm larger valves but may not be needed for this car. you'll be able to make so much power with the basic work that the valves wouldn't need to be changed until the other weak links, like the tranny, were covered.

i think the best way to do the turbo would be to put it on the driver's side and relocated the battery. this gives you tons of room for an upgrade (i.e. larger) turbo down the road. it also helps to equal out the exhaust manifold length which could give you potential for more power i would think.

i'll try to think of some more tips and post them up to help you out the best i can.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:42 PM

BTW dumbass, the auto trans is probubly the weakest, esp. at stock specs. He'll at least need a different torque converter.

Sounds to me like he's saying not to turbo if it's an auto. Who pissed in your Cheerios?

If its an auto, ditch the plans.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nickpisp
Sounds to me like he's saying not to turbo if it's an auto. Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Sorry, misread that.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:55 PM

if a little chrysler srt-4 can handle 800 hp, i think a cast iron, forged steel pistoned 3.0 can handle a little more than 300hp.
I would buy a 300zxtt. better cornering; twice as fast as our asses; wont destroy your beautiful maxima so that you have another driver. good turbos will cost 3k+!!!

but then again, with a turbo vg, theres always the sleeper element...
Old 02-16-2006, 04:18 PM

I still can't understand why ppl poor thier heart out for these cars.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by alextothestars
i think a cast iron, forged steel pistoned
what tha...that would be one heavy and fairly odd piston .
Old 02-16-2006, 05:19 PM

Mark has some good advice, listen to him. Your engine should be fine for whatever you can throw at it, so long as your air/fuel ratio and timing are good. ARP rod bolts aren't a bad upgrade, $50 and they arent that hard to put in, you can install them from under the car. The tranny will be the first thing to go, and it will go if you don't upgrade anything in it, unless you stay at low boost. I accidentally hit 15psi or so at the track, and that led to breaking my input shaft gear.

As for the aluminum skid plates, I was actually thinking about doing that since most of my plastic ones have fallen off/gotten trashed.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 PM
mod or sell?

<snip>(For some reason he thinks he's driving a j30)
<snip>
he is, as are you, driving a NISSAN J30.
J30 is our chassis code like Z31 is for the 84-89 300Z
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Eric95se
I am starting small one of my first steps is getting a new, aluminum shield for under the engine.

Has anyone had a custom skidplate made to replace their plastic underbody shields?
You wouldn't happen to be talkin about those underbody covers you see on the new M5's or Skylines would ya?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
backNblackj30

boosting an auto vg tranny = instant tranny go boom. the maxima auto tranny's are weak. They tend to start slipping big time with boost or abuse.
been there done that. 5spd or die.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
manifolds
injectors,
JWT, Romulator, Zemulator, or piggyback for control
piping
aftercooler, if you're planning on running some higher boost
upgraded clutch
better wheels and tires (you're definitely going to need some more traction)

tranny wise, it'll hold up for a little while if you don't beat on it too hard (high rev clutch drops and such). the best would be to build it up a bit. the input shaft is the absolute weakest link in these trannies. IPT can put a better bearing in to fix that issue. from there you could do the normal cryo treatment and such to make sure the gears handle whatever your throw at it.

engine wise, it'll handle a lot of abuse. there have been guys making well over 300 whp in their Z31's. one guy was making around 500 whp on the stock bottom end. another guy was doing around 400 driving it daily. the pistons will likely be the first to break in these engines. BRC can custom make some pistons to handle the abuse. the Z32 rods might be an upgrade... but for the longest time everyone thought the rods were cast when they are actually forged, so there might be a chance they'd be no stronger than the Z32 rods. i'll have to compared their size and design to the maxima engine i have apart to see if there are any differences.

you might find crap online about the crank only handling 350-ish horsepower but that's total bs. the crank would likely be the last thing to break in this engine.

the heads and intake can definitely use some work to improve flow. a good port and polish with some nice cams designed for a turbo setup will likely go a long way. the valves can be upgraded to some 1 mm larger valves but may not be needed for this car. you'll be able to make so much power with the basic work that the valves wouldn't need to be changed until the other weak links, like the tranny, were covered.

i think the best way to do the turbo would be to put it on the driver's side and relocated the battery. this gives you tons of room for an upgrade (i.e. larger) turbo down the road. it also helps to equal out the exhaust manifold length which could give you potential for more power i would think.

i'll try to think of some more tips and post them up to help you out the best i can.

couldnt have said it better myself mark.. very nice. Yea..

What to do to make a VG bulletproof:

Hmm

Im dailying over 300 whp right now. no problems so far, thats with 181k on the engine. I get nervous about my tranny on those 3rd gear pulls though. Im even driving it to flordia next week
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 PM
backNblackj30

hey maxmaxima we have teh same shift ****. I love mine, how about you? I just got mine, my AE shift **** was jacked lol

How much is invtested in teh turbo setup as pictured in the yahoo photo's
got any time slips? or 1/4 numbers.
Looks like a very very clean setup
very very nice man. nice! looks alot better then my cousins, his is not the cleanest, but its quick.

i just viewd all of the pics, your setup is more then nice, its INSANE! you have ALOT of time in that i see.
im jealous

Old 02-17-2006, 07:15 AM

hey maxmaxima we have teh same shift ****. I love mine, how about you? I just got mine, my AE shift **** was jacked lol

How much is invtested in teh turbo setup as pictured in the yahoo photo's
got any time slips? or 1/4 numbers.
Looks like a very very clean setup
very very nice man. nice! looks alot better then my cousins, his is not the cleanest, but its quick.

i just viewd all of the pics, your setup is more then nice, its INSANE! you have ALOT of time in that i see.
im jealous

Thankyou very much..

Yea, that shift *** was somthing my brother put on years ago when he owned the car.. i bough it and Still love it to this day. I have somewhere upwards of 3k into the kit and that number is still riseing as i continue to make more modifications. Best 1/4 time is in my signiture, that was however quite a while ago and on not so sticky tires. Since then ive upped the boost to help prevent against wheel gripage. Thanks again for the compliments.

Jeremy
Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Eric95se
Thanks to the people with real advice. I am glad to hear theat my VG engine is turbo ready, however there are a few things to consider like chips etc.

BTW: its a 5 speed not an automatic...
I've had plans of making some for my car...just haven't had a chance to put any time into it recently. I've been re-upholstering a couple pontoon boats the past couple weeks, but hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to work on the car.

I've been wanting to make these plates for quite a while now. My main reason is for road kill, etc - lots of critters around here.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
backNblackj30- Do YOU have a boosted 3rd gen? So you know a little bit about SOMEONE ELSES setup. If you were in my zip code I would give you a cookie and a big glass of stfu to wash it down.

OMG THAT was just great