3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intake manifold swap on VG? Pathfinder Manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
backNblackj30

Intake manifold swap on VG? Pathfinder Manifold???

Anyone now if a pathfinder intake manifold will fit on our vg's?

i see it does in the z31 300zx

http://www.z31.com/pathy.shtml

anyone done this or have pics?
also what will i probably need.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
mod or sell?

fit? yes
close hood? no
Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 PM

search and find all the answers your little heart desires.....
Old 02-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
fit? yes
close hood? no

Is this a guess, because they couldn't close the hood on the Z31? Or has this been tried? On the Z31 the reason the hood will not close is because the engine is mounted parallel and the manifold hits at the front of the engine. But in our cars the manifold will be at the rear of the engine bay, and will not have to worry about the downward slope of the hood.

I'm not saying that you're wrong as I don't know the answer, but am just questioning clearence issues in application to our 3rd gen Maximas instead of the RWD Z31.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 PM
mod or sell?

it's been tested by mtcookson IIRC
Old 02-17-2006, 01:02 PM

OK, my questioning has come to a close then, Thx!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:28 PM
backNblackj30

Is there any power gain? I can make my hood work. Im sure, hood closing is not an issue at this point in time. What all parts are needed, also does anyone have any pictures of it being on a vg max? and what yr manifold do i need? Any other manifold swaps that fit?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by backNblackj30
Is there any power gain? I can make my hood work. Im sure, hood closing is not an issue at this point in time. What all parts are needed, also does anyone have any pictures of it being on a vg max? and what yr manifold do i need? Any other manifold swaps that fit?

power gains...mtcookson can answer that...but i don't think he said that there was all that much gain...mark correct me if i'm wrong here.

make your hood work? trust me...it's not even close...but you can go and reinvent the wheel again. make sure you have a nice sawzall to cut the hole in the hood.

what parts? everything...that's attached to the PF manifold..you'll have to move to your car...including the idle air control valve...IACV.

if you want to do it...then do it...we're not going to hold your hand because we know the hood won't close but you want to be the pioneer for this...be my guest.

you sound like you've recently got a maxima...started reading up on z31.com and thought...hey since the motors are the same...why wouldn't work in my car right? is that why you have created all these new threads? just a FYI...you're not the only one that read z31 so the questions has been asked here. best investment you can get for your car is the search feature on this forum.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:46 PM
backNblackj30

Well, hood closing is not an issue, i have an idea for that.
But with out the hood in mind. WIll I need to use the pathfinder distributor? or can I use mine?
so basicly, I just need to get a complete pathfinder intake manifold? What yr range do i need to look for. Also , with keeping the hood out of mind. Will i have to cut or fabricate anything to make this work and run right?

I AM going to do this, so Im trying to get my ducks in a row before I go tommorow to get all of the parts, I know where a junkyard is with about 5-8 pathfinders.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

But with out the hood in mind. WIll I need to use the pathfinder distributor? or can I use mine?
so basicly, I just need to get a complete pathfinder intake manifold? What yr range do i need to look for. Also , with keeping the hood out of mind. Will i have to cut or fabricate anything to make this work and run right?

I AM going to do this, so Im trying to get my ducks in a row before I go tommorow to get all of the parts, I know where a junkyard is with about 5-8 pathfinders.
keep in mind the PF is a front/rear set up and the maxima is left/right (transverse) set up so it's not as easy as you think it would be. you will also need the TB and get that to work w/ the maxima throttle cable.

what year...well basically whatever year the VG30 was used i think you can get that in there. again, YOU need to do the homework. YOU need to get YOUR ducks in a row.

not to be a doubter...but let me tell you..do you know how many members claim that they would do something and end up not doing anything at all? so just to make it easy i'm going to group you with those people. do the work...then i'll be the first to say that i'm truely impressed...otherwise you're just another bench racer in my eyes.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

If you really wan't to mod your to the hilt,then do us all a favor and do what danny and a few others have suggested and DONATE the measly $20 for the search feature...Trust me,it is well worth the $$ if you are serious about modding your maxima....
Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 PM
backNblackj30

I just got back from looking at the donor car. I have access to a pathfiner with a perfect motor with 75k miles on it i can get it for 200$ for the whole car or whatever parts i need
a 94 maxima SE with 180k miles and a VE motor for 200$ or whatever parts i need.
the pathfinder has been wrecked and totald due to frame damage but motor is in tact and turns over and runs
maxima turns over and runs. has side impact damage and busted windows, torn leather seats. and its an auto

Old 02-17-2006, 06:38 PM

get the 94 max, take motor/tranny out of it and put it in your 89 max.. swap over wiring harnesses, and there ya go
Old 02-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Way out West

The VG30E was used in the Pathfinder up until 1995. After that, they went to the VG33E until 2001, when the VQ35DE was put into the Pathy. I don't know the differences in those engines, as far as the parts you are looking for.

Basically, any "hardbody" style Pathfinder or probably even SE V6 trucks will have the VG30E stuff you are looking for.

I also don't know if they changed anything that would be an improvement for you. IIRC, they are all rated the same from 87-95 -- 153 hp, 180 ft lbs of torque.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 PM
backNblackj30

cool.
THanks.
Well I shall let you guys know what goes down with my project.
Its something Im defanitly going to do.
The 94 is out of the option. 180k is way to many miles.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:27 PM

180k is way to many miles.
not for a maxima
Old 02-17-2006, 08:28 PM

if im remembering correctly, the pathfinder manifold isnt really much better for an n/a engine. The real benifit of it comes into effect when your boosted, especially at high psi. It is a far more balanced manifold than our maximas. and can help prevent against detonation in certain cylinders due the unbalanced maxima manifold... I belive that this is true.. but could be wrong.

Jeremy
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DanNY
power gains...mtcookson can answer that...but i don't think he said that there was all that much gain...mark correct me if i'm wrong here.
Supposedly the Pathy manifold outflows all other VG intakes but I don't know by how much.

Some modifications to the stock intake can get some proven gains, especially when turbocharged. One of our members here that turbocharged his VG did some internal modifications to the manifold to even out flow and seemed to do pretty well.

While we're on the subject of intake manifolds... I'm actually modifying my stock one to use a single throttle body from an early 240SX (something like 60 mm or so). Biggest reason for doing it is I'm pointing to the inlet torwards the passenger side to make the aftercooler setup work. My only concern is by placing the throttle body out further, it might mess with flow/power/whatever a bit much. (Basically imagine the stock aluminum elbow pointing to the passenger side and horizontal to the engine with the throttle body on the end of it. That's basically what I'm doing so I have some concerns about how that'll work. Guess I'll find out the hard way though... )
Old 02-17-2006, 11:47 PM
backNblackj30

awesome.
well the vg's twin t/b is
well not the best for flow. ive been thinking.
the pathfinder manifold will flow alot more, also the T/b is bigger and is just a single one. so thats better too. I can probably port that and make it better then it is lol. Im goin to try to get this pathfinder asap and get started on it.

does anyone have any pictures of it done or in progress besides the website and it beign on a 300zx
btw thanks everyone for the input so far.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:58 AM
what can my max do for me

here's a picture thread type discussion that i got into when i was trying to find out if the ve and vg lower intake manifolds were interchangeable...just thought it was interesting to see the pics...

still looking for a pic of the bottom end of a ve lower intake manifold...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=445496

keep pursuing this backNblackj30.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
backNblackj30

Hmm, I can get a complete pathfiner intake manifold for 100$ with shipping. Do i need the lower intake manifold also or can i use my VG? Also how much of a clearance prob is there? And also can i do like they did with the 300zx and use washers, and longer hood bolts and the hood will be slanted.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:12 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
not for a maxima

I sold a VE with 237k on it, it WAS running fine, newest owner had to put coils in.
though he was duped by the guy I sold it too, he was told it only had 127k on it (odo tampering). you couldn't tell by the way the car ran though.
it was so friggin' quiet that I had to keep checking that it was running because it made no noise
Old 02-18-2006, 06:16 PM

Hmm, I can get a complete pathfiner intake manifold for 100$ with shipping. Do i need the lower intake manifold also or can i use my VG? Also how much of a clearance prob is there? And also can i do like they did with the 300zx and use washers, and longer hood bolts and the hood will be slanted.

just comparing pics to pics...it looks like the u should be able to use the vg's lower with no problem.

all indications point to there being a clearance problem but no mention of how severe. i would think that going the washers and longer hood bolts route would really make for one seriously butfugly look.

if u have access to the intake. why not try measuring them up and comparing intake heights? then put some putty (plumbers putty, modeling clay or whatever) on top of the stock vg setup and close the hood. the height of the squished putty should give u the available clearance of the stock setup.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:41 PM
backNblackj30

good idea
ill try that.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:39 PM

the maxima lower intake manifold will not work... in it the ports are in a zig zag pattern were as with the pathfinder manifold there all in a strait line...

Jeremy
Old 02-19-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
the maxima lower intake manifold will not work... in it the ports are in a zig zag pattern were as with the pathfinder manifold there all in a strait line...

Jeremy
Yeah this would be cool if you could get it done im temted to try it but I was wondering about the ve manifold would it work and what would it take?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 PM

if one wanted to... i think you could make a intake manifold styled like the pathy upper then use the pathy/300zx/early maxima lower intake. i think that would flow better than the stock one. finding a good design might prove to be difficult unless you know a lot about manifold design and such, which in my case i still don't.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:00 AM

Jeremy

i thought the ve had the zig zag pattern while the vg has the straight line configuration
Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
i thought the ve had the zig zag pattern while the vg has the straight line configuration
correct at least for maxima's
Old 02-20-2006, 06:10 AM

the vg has the zig zag and the pathy is a strieght across pattern
Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
Yeah this would be cool if you could get it done im temted to try it but I was wondering about the ve manifold would it work and what would it take?
I have a VE upper and lower manifold I will sell cheap if anyone is interested in messing around with them. They are from an AT, though, so no VI.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:26 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I have a VE upper and lower manifold I will sell cheap if anyone is interested in messing around with them. They are from an AT, though, so no VI.
I have upper and lower ve IM with VI for sale ..
Old 02-20-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
the vg has the zig zag and the pathy is a strieght across pattern
Yes, VG max = zig zag, VG pathfinder = Straitline pattern
Old 02-20-2006, 11:45 PM

Yes, VG max = zig zag, VG pathfinder = Straitline pattern

gotchya...so what is the ve pattern? straight line or staggered?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:35 PM

yeah good question!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM

any now if it is possible to use the ve intake on the vg
Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM

wouldnt you have to move the oil filler neck????? and a few other things???
Old 02-21-2006, 09:27 PM

i'm pretty sure its staggered by pictures i've seen but i've never messed with a VE so i'm not sure.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I have upper and lower ve IM with VI for sale ..
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin

ok guys...since this thread is getting painfully tired, can either of u 2 please enlighten us as to whether the ve intake manifold is staggered or straight?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Power Dorifto Extraordinaire!

i do believe the VE is zigzag. i have one torn down in my shop.
but then, i am at work.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold swap on VG? Pathfinder Manifold???