3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Insurance is going to total it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Insurance is going to total it...

my first post in a while unfortunately is not a good one...insurance company sees my car as a "total loss". I'll be getting my speakers, cai, stereo, etc. out this weekend so that they can come get it on Tuesday. About last november one of the "rear parallel links" broke while i was driving and sent me into a 180 degree spin. I was in an intersection and it was late when it happened so i didn't hit anything the entire time that the car was out of control. Well, it happened again. This time I was on a residential road and two mailboxes and a lightpole later my car has been totaled.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally Posted by Mike92GXE
my first post in a while unfortunately is not a good one...insurance company sees my car as a "total loss". I'll be getting my speakers, cai, stereo, etc. out this weekend so that they can come get it on Tuesday. About last november the rear stabilizer bar broke while i was driving and sent me into a 180 degree spin. I was in an intersection and it was late when it happened so i didn't hit anything the entire time that the car was out of control. Well, it happened again. This time I was on a residential road and two mailboxes and a lightpole later my car has been totaled. I'll post a pic when i have a chance, i only have the one from my phone now.

Damn....what insurance company do you have?

MIne let me keep my car long enough to sell/swap mods. (I bought another 3rd gen).

Are you keeping the e36's? I'm very interested, and LOCAL if you are not keeping them.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:09 AM

If I were you, I'd ask the insurance company how much money they'd give you if you could keep the car. Sometimes the salvage cost (the difference in what they'd give you whether you keep the car or not) is relatively low. I have Geico, and when I was rear ended about two months ago they said I could keep the car if I took $250 less on the payout. The other guy's insurance company said I could keep the car if I took $1300 less on their payout. I decided to take a smaller check and keep the car. In my case it's still drivable, so I'm going to drive it until I find another car and then part it out. You can probably make more money parting it out than you could if you just took the larger check.

Good luck and sorry to hear about what happened.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:27 AM

wow! thats one heck of an impact. hope youre fine.....
Old 03-03-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Mike sorry about the accident. If you enjoy maximas, try to get as much as you can and then buy it back. Should only be $100-$150.

But I'm confused about how "breaking the rear stabilizer" could really cause a 180deg spin out. For one, it's almost impossible to actually break the RSB in the first place, much less twice. If the bar is stock, it's so thin that having/not having one is almost the same thing.

Maybe you had an addco or STS RSB and you broke the mount. But usually only one breaks and the bar still is held up. I've driven with a broken mount and I've been driving while it broke (it sounds like someone threw a rock at the underside of the car ie.. *thud!* ). I fail to see how just a broken mount would really cause such a severe change in how the car behaves.

my first post in a while unfortunately is not a good one...insurance company sees my car as a "total loss". I'll be getting my speakers, cai, stereo, etc. out this weekend so that they can come get it on Tuesday. About last november the rear stabilizer bar broke while i was driving and sent me into a 180 degree spin. I was in an intersection and it was late when it happened so i didn't hit anything the entire time that the car was out of control. Well, it happened again. This time I was on a residential road and two mailboxes and a lightpole later my car has been totaled.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
STFU n00b!

Wow man.. sorry to hear about that! Now aren't you glad I kept procrastinating on all that stereo stuff you wanted me to do?

Least you're okay, that's the important thing.

Give me a call tonight (Friday) after about 7 and I should be home then..
Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 AM

I can't say exactly what broke. its a bar that keeps the back wheel straight. My real wheel, instead of being -l- it was -\- (turned) and would not roll. I have a pic of the part and I will post it when i get home. The road I was on was one where the road is uneven in a lot of places. feels like the car is actually bouncing down the street on some sections, (lots of small "hills" in the road). I failed to see how it could happen, but it did, I found a part that was broken and I figured that was what caused me to loose control of the vehicle.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah.. maybe it was one of the parallel links. That would do it! One of the 2 bars that go to each rear wheel
Old 03-03-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
If I were you, I'd ask the insurance company how much money they'd give you if you could keep the car. Sometimes the salvage cost (the difference in what they'd give you whether you keep the car or not) is relatively low. I have Geico, and when I was rear ended about two months ago they said I could keep the car if I took $250 less on the payout. The other guy's insurance company said I could keep the car if I took $1300 less on their payout. I decided to take a smaller check and keep the car. In my case it's still drivable, so I'm going to drive it until I find another car and then part it out. You can probably make more money parting it out than you could if you just took the larger check.

Good luck and sorry to hear about what happened.
Not drivable but I still might make more selling stuff off of it...I'll call the ins co. thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Ah.. maybe it was one of the parallel links. That would do it! One of the 2 bars that go to each rear wheel
good, now i can get my story straight! anyone interested on some GXE parts...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
heresmymind

Well be glad you don't have a broken neck or anything bro. Sorry about the car. Crap happens. I totaled a 99 legacy GT with temp plates on it. i had an entire night of messing around in the snow. then on the way home driving slow a car ran me off the rd into 2 trees and a stone column. Then I bought my Maxy. :-p

Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
To them I'm like an idol

good, now i can get my story straight! anyone interested on some GXE parts...
What I did on mine was sold the mods, and took the stock parts from the people that bought my mods and put them back on the car. Geico let me kept the car for 3 months, in which time I sold all the mods, and swapped the 5-speed tranny in it for an auto, and got $400 more dollars from Geico for doing that.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:40 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

anyone interested on some GXE parts...
What were the condition of the rear struts in your Max (how old.. OEM/aftermarket, etc.)?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Matt came by tonight and saw the other parallel link that broke. Clean break just like the other side. I did a search and I don't think this has happened on here before, or at least not often. Funny how it happened twice on my car. I guess that bumpy road everyday, twice a day for 3 years now has finally taken its toll. I'm going to end up getting a grocery getter to hold me over for while...I just can't bring myself to go out and actively search for a car note!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:25 AM

make sure oyu get them E36's off of that car man!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by aksansai
What were the condition of the rear struts in your Max (how old.. OEM/aftermarket, etc.)?
PM sent...10 char....