3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

blackmax

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM

blackmax

So the other night, I finally bought an injector for my black car locally for $20. Today i installed it, and after spending an hour and change putting everything back together, I get in the car and turn the key only to find out the battery is dead. So, I hop in the ski boat and grab its battery to try and jump it since it was impossible to get another car close enough to jump. That battery is dead as well. I go out to my pearl maxima, take it's battery out and crank it over, it cranks quite a bit but never wants to start. Eventually that battery is so low on juice, it won't crank anymore. At this point, it's about 2:30 PM and i'd really like to see if this damn thing is going to start. Unfortunately, I don't have any batteries to crank till my heart's content so I hook one up to the old charger and go to bed (yeah at 2:30 pm). At 11:00 tonight i get up and go straight outside, hook the semi charged battery up to the car and give it a whirl. It starts within a second or 2, so I let it warm to idle, only to realize that gas is spewing all over the place and the engine catches on fire! hah jk, miss is gone, engine revs smooth. I have no insurance on that car yet so i can't drive it tonight, but it's a sigh of relief because it didn't seem like it was going to fire up earlier, probably just flooded it with all that weak cranking. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this thing drives now that it's fixed. So yup, I just wanted to share the story. Time to do some battery charging..
Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

So how long you take replacing it? and what is your machanical experience? newb, intermediate or advanced?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 AM
heresmymind

when i did mine i drove it and it was smooth for about 15 minutes then i smelt gas. the O ring blew on it ><. had to take it all apart the next weekend when i had time and replace a 3$ part. sigh* the worst part was having to drive my mothers grand am. ><

Old 03-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Way out West

You better make sure it runs good and doesn't have any problems before you drive that sucker anywhere far!

I can't tow anything with my Maxima, you know.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
So how long you take replacing it? and what is your machanical experience? newb, intermediate or advanced?
probably an 1:45 to take apart and reassemble it all with hand tools. i've been taking apart and building things since i was a kid. i've been working on my cars, for about 5 years. plus a radiator swap when i was in high school. i did take automotive freshman year, rebuilt lawnmower engine. basically i just posted because it was funny how after the job is done, i wasn't able to see if it worked for another 12 hours:P

hmm: yeah, i was thinking about your thread when i made the joke no offense though, i wasn't even sure who had said that. it's good you got it fixed though. i tried cleaning corroded terminals before replacing the injector (which didn't work) so i had to do it twice also. it's better than having to do alot of other jobs twice though. a few of the hoses are annoying..

chris: hehe, that's true man, but a convoy of maximas should be able to handle the task. auto tranny. she's running well, but still needs some tlc. tie rods, left rear window regulator, left front regulator motor, timing belt, other maintainance. it's going to be tough not being able to drive the 5 speed until i sell this one. it looks nicer though