3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

GXE gauges with SE Gauges write up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:54 AM

GXE to SE Gauges swap write up

GXE Gauges to SE gauges

I ordered the SE gauges for the simple reason that i wanted the white face gauges but didn't like the aftermarket reverse glow ones i found out there. So you can't beat OEM. I also found that the GXE gauges are slightly different the OD light is in different spots and the GXE don't have air bags. And since my GXE don't have air bags the Air Bag light would just stay on.

Obviously i could just take out the bulb and that's what i did at first but found that I did pay attention to the OD light to see if it was on and off. I never noticed that i payed attention. So i figured screw it I'll just swap out the guts and since it is plug and play no biggie! this way i get the benefits of the odometer still being correct and the OD light still is functional.

Tools needed : Philips screw driver, Kool-Aid (optional)

Start buy removing the gauges

Next take the front cover off

than you have this

Then remove these screws and undo the connection

Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 AM

as you remove the screw each one of the gauges will come off

at this point you are half way threw

Do the same with the other gauge

swap gauges, I don't know for sure it will make a diffrence but make sure to use the same screws in the same spots IE. tach screws speedometer screws etc

now work in reverse and when you are done you now have a GXE gauges with the white face gauges of a SE your speedometer is still correct and the OD light is functional

I added the CF bezel it was part of my dash kit. If you want the gauges to light white use the SE bulbs if not it will light up Green. thats what i did keep it all one color (dash) but still not sure though

I know few people will say that since the harness on the SE and the GXE are different the airbag light is different. Actually NO! the plastic board is different as you can see here the lines are not the same

Old 04-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice write up that should help the noobs!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:50 AM

dont forget you can also just swap the odo from one gauge to another if you wanted to keep the correct mileage.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM

Careful with the new tach, Loco, redline shifting might get expensive!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Careful with the new tach, Loco, redline shifting might get expensive!
well i got a Auto tranny so i have to go out of my way for that so not too much of a problem
Old 04-22-2006, 01:45 PM

Great write up! the SE guages really update the inside of the car. Plus you get white faces without using indigo ebay guages that might look tacky.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:59 PM
mod or sell?

1. GXE had airbags as an option same as the SE (92s)
2. should have just gotten a 89-91 SE w/ AT cluster easier than all of that work.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:01 PM

I have a noob question about swapping SE gauges on a GXE. Since our stock speedometer only goes upto 125 and the SE's go upto 145...if you swap them isn't your speedo reading like 20mph higher than you're really going, or is there some way to fix this when installing the 145mph gauges on a GXE?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
1. GXE had airbags as an option same as the SE (92s)
2. should have just gotten a 89-91 SE w/ AT cluster easier than all of that work.
Guess i could of but since i got mine at a steal for $25 w/shipping and it wasn't that hard of a MOD

Originally Posted by Supercross
I have a noob question about swapping SE gauges on a GXE. Since our stock speedometer only goes upto 125 and the SE's go upto 145...if you swap them isn't your speedo reading like 20mph higher than you're really going, or is there some way to fix this when installing the 145mph gauges on a GXE?
don't have to do anything it adjusts itself don't believe me I'm sure other people will confirm
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

I'm pretty sure Loco is right I mean its just the gauge and I bet the cars ecu just makes necessary changes.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:57 AM

Is the circuitry for the airbag light built in to the clusters for cars w/o airbags? In other words, if I swap mine will that particular light function if I put a bulb in it?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

nope its correct. They both use the same gearing in the speed sensor and cluster (has nothing to do with the ecu as one guy said) so it turns out right.

Many have done the swap without problems.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I did this swap back in October 05..I just replaced the gauges, my GXE has airbags. the OD light is covered but I dont care as I can tell when its on/off anyway. If I would've known that the 145mph was plug and play with out any problem I would've just gotten that!

The best way to learn is practicing on junkyard cars
Old 04-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Getting ready to change my gauge cluster. To a 91 se. Will the abs light ,light up or give me any problems?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:33 PM

it will work the same. i did this to my '93 GXE back in '02 and i did the same exact thing as what Loco did. i just swapped out the gauge faces and not the whole cluster. after i was done with it, i did a test drive and had my friend next to me to tell me how fast i was going next to him in his car and it read the same as his. i also knew it was correct once i installed the HUD in my car the mileage was correct.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
I tried that I do not recommend it if you ever want plan to sell your car. The numbers are pratically impossible to line back up and it will look tampered with. I just swapped the speedo and called it a day but I was going from VG SE to VE SE gauges.

I think he meant swap the whole ODO which is easy to do (few screws). I have taken a ODO out and changed the mileage as well because I had a non working ODO or a bad trip ODO cant remember. Anyway its not too hard if you take it all apart and align it. Mine didnt look tampered with at all. After you take the ODO out (screws on the back) you can see that there is another metal lever that holds the bar which holds the numbers etc...I cant remember the details but remember it wasnt so bad doing it that way either. Matter of fact it may be your car I did the ODO on because of the trip ODO. I cant remember though since I have so many of these clusters (got two spares sitting in my carport I dont know where they came from). I didnt change the mileage BTW.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 PM

painting the bezel in silver looks nice too, i had it that way on my mx-6
Old 04-25-2006, 12:21 AM

ONE last thing that Loco (and I) forgot to mention on the swap..for the tach gauge, there's gonna be some plastic "spacer" like material that'll leave an ugly gap on he gauges, for me all I had to do was clip it with some wirecutters and it looks decent. just letting the others that havent done the swap know so they dont umm freak out. Did any of the guys that have swapped had that same problem?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
ONE last thing that Loco (and I) forgot to mention on the swap..for the tach gauge, there's gonna be some plastic "spacer" like material that'll leave an ugly gap on he gauges, for me all I had to do was clip it with some wirecutters and it looks decent. just letting the others that havent done the swap know so they dont umm freak out. Did any of the guys that have swapped had that same problem?
no mine was a pretty simple straight across swap. didn't have to cut anything and there is no gaps? kinda of curious as to what you are talking about. i don't remember seeing anything like that
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 AM

I'll take some pics when I get a chance.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:25 PM

yeah definitely need pics