3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Head room?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 PM

Head room?

I have to admit, I went from sceptic, not really liking the car because it wasn't a mustang type of thing, to grow into someone who really appreciates good engineering and understand much more about cars (and believe it or not, I went from mustang fanatic, to hating everything about them except the looks on a poster). Just thought I would put that in the open.

One annoyance that I have thought about long and hard though is the lack of leg room in the rear, and the lack of headroom in both front and back of my Maxima. Now I am a big guy at 5'11" 245lb, however I was wondering if any of you face the same annoyance with lack of room, and if so, what are your ideas on how to remedy the problem? Would different seats even help, because they seem pretty close to the ground as it is. Any input would be great, even if its just idle chatter about it so I know I'm not alone
Old 04-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Yeah, I'm also 5'11", but a bit slimmer at 160 (I really need to gain some weight though). I noticed the lack of headroom also. It doesn't bother much unless I'm leaning forward and shifting in my seat or something, and then I'll lightly brush my head on the visor. It'd be cool if there was a seat adjustment for up and down.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

Yeah I'm 6'1" 170 and its so damn close sometimes especially when I spike up my hair I have to drive looking at an angle........What I would die for is the same seat adjustments as toyota or bmw, my dads camry I can always find the perfect spot with the automated seat. I might try and work that into my maxima restoration.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:49 PM

I'm 6'5 and i dont have a prob with headroom, occasionally i will hit my head if someone has been driving my car and moved my seat, but other than that.. no probs here.

I thought the maxima's had plenty of room, i searched long and hard for a car that i could get in and have room to move around and believe me that was a search and a half.

I suppose i do have the seat angled back more than the average person though, but i can still drive comfortably (benifit of long arms i spose)
Old 04-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Way out West

My brother is 6-3 and about 280. He really liked the 3rd gen because it was the only import car he felt comfortable in. MrGone is a pretty big guy and he has owned two of these. Go ahead and drive an early to mid 90s Civic, Corolla, Camry, Accord or 626 and you will find the Maxima has better seating.

I think if you want something with more room, you will have to go buy a domestic. I think a Lincoln Town Car or Chevy Caprice will work. That, or buy a full size truck. I have a Chevy Silverado and it has tons of room everywhere.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 AM

Well I am glad I am not the only one. I guess I will mess with the seat and lean back a bit more. Trust me I know very well about how the others' deal with room which is why I like the maxima, I was just curious if anyone knew of a way that I could squeeze some more inches out of it with different/modified seats or such. Basically, has it been done before?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 AM

at 5'-5", i have way too much headroom I tilt the steering column all the way down, and keep the seat about 3 notches from the limit.. it's comfortable though
Old 04-23-2006, 06:14 AM
mod or sell?

the ***** on the side of the manual seat can raise and lower the seat.
also, a power seat normally can't go quite as low as a power seat
my brother (6'4") has that problem in his camaro, he just got one with a power seat and he sits higher than his old non-power one did.
good thing they have t-tops
BTW he had no complaints driving my maximas. he just leans back the seat a bit more than I do
also remember a sunroof removes about 1" worth on headroom
Old 04-23-2006, 06:42 AM
I will eat your children

im pretty good with head room im 6'1 i do lean the seat back a little much tho. but no one sits behind me because of seat adjustment. so my car is a 3 seater with the posibility of 4 if someone rides b!tch
Old 04-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I always thought he had decent room...but that's because my friends drive talons, 2.5rs, saturns, integras, accords, well, you get the idea.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 AM

guys, shrink, thats the only answer :-/ , im tallest out of my group of friends and im 5'6 hahah. midgets :/ , but the back does seem like theres a little less head room.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Lives in a Maxima

Wait, do your seats not have the up/down adjustments? I'm 5'11" and I don't even have mine cranked all the way down.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the ***** on the side of the manual seat can raise and lower the seat.
also, a power seat normally can't go quite as low as a power seat
my brother (6'4") has that problem in his camaro, he just got one with a power seat and he sits higher than his old non-power one did.
good thing they have t-tops
BTW he had no complaints driving my maximas. he just leans back the seat a bit more than I do
also remember a sunroof removes about 1" worth on headroom
I love driving down the road and seeing a guy who is too tall for his ride. makes ................
Old 04-23-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe94gxe
I love driving down the road and seeing a guy who is too tall for his ride. makes ................
*Fat man in a lil[car?]*

I'm 6-0 and feel like I have too much head room. And thats at an aggressive posture.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:28 PM

It has two round *****, a recliner, and the back/forward adjustment in the front of the seat...like all the others I suppose? I've been driving with the seat reclined more, and it isnt so bad, though it still bugs me a little. I guess I never noticed it until I had to drive my dads BMW for a week only to get back in mine and realize...wow...big difference in size. I love it even so because despite that, it looks sexy as hell for a sedan.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:35 AM

I'm like 6'2 and about 330lbs and all i can say is i have no problem with head, room getting in or out. unless some azzhole parks right next to me! but as far as leg room and head room i feel fine granted that's if nobody is sitting behind me but even than not too bad for short trips. my other car is a 04 sebring and even with the seat all the way back and reclining i still feel cramped. that's why i let my girl drive that and i have my max. Granted she's scared to drive it, fear she'll brake something and upset me, she knows it's my baby... with the exception of my 2 kids. that and she don't like lowered cars and with no door handles it makes it a pain in the azz top get the kids in and out of unless you leave the windows down or open the doors from the inside first
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 AM

Well all this time I had this sheepskin seatcover on, and finally being annoyed with it, I just took it off to find that the seats are a little shredded. Not TOO bad, but nothing you would want to show to clients Back to the point though, after I took it off, I all the sudden realized that the damn thing took away 1-2" worth of headroom! I now have my seat in the exact same position, but now amazed on how much room I have in comparison from before! While it still could be bigger for a family luxery car in my terms, it is perfect for a sporty sedan, which makes since

I feel much better now!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 AM

Just curious, how does removing a seat cover give you that much more headroom up front?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by jlars205
Just curious, how does removing a seat cover give you that much more headroom up front?
haha, yeah i'd like to see those 2" thick (when depressed) seat covers
Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Ok so I exaderated a little. It was more like 1", but that was still enough to give me a comfortable amount of headroom to where my head wasnt against the roof. No joke though, the seat covers were about this thick:
| |
It was a sheepskin seatcover and that was when they were depressed. Add that to the amount of space they took away with being extremely tight on the chair, therefore lifting up the backend about half an inch, it does make a difference.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:10 PM

im 6 ft and 215 and i find no need for more headroom, my seat is all the back w/slight lean and there turned almost completely down on the side dials, from ouside the car ,compared to the pass side w/out the side dials, its about 2 inces lower -no camera or id post a pic looking thruoght the windshield
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

i'm 5'8'' and have no issues with headroom! lol, they do have the up and down ***** on the side, most of them do anyways. you could always do a 'reverse-chop' on the windshield and raise the roof....woot woot.... jk

anyways, my little 93 civic has more headroom than the maxima for some reason.... idk.