3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can someone help me .

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can someone help me .

i have a question about my car useing to much gas i dont know what can be the problum. i can fill it up and go back and forth to work and iwell be at a half a tank. if you can help me i am leasing,,
Old 04-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by rick's 92
i have a question about my car useing to much gas i dont know what can be the problum. i can fill it up and go back and forth to work and iwell be at a half a tank. if you can help me i am leasing,,
How far do you live from ur work? have u checked your gas miliage?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Governor
How far do you live from ur work? have u checked your gas miliage?

i work about 5 min for my house. my gas mile on my car suck..
Old 04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you smell gasoline? you probably have a leak.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by sublunary
do you smell gasoline? you probably have a leak.

i had a leak under the hood it was from a hose bye the motor.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 PM

i had a leak under the hood it was from a hose bye the motor.
Uhh..so is it fixed now? If you used a half a tank of gas in less than 10 miles you have a flame thrower waiting to happen! You better get it fixed and quick.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Uhh..so is it fixed now? If you used a half a tank of gas in less than 10 miles you have a flame thrower waiting to happen! You better get it fixed and quick.

what kind of place do i get this fix.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:09 PM

with the car turned off but the ignition in the on position, look around the engine to see if there is any dripping fuel from short little hoses that connect the fuel rails together. if there are cracks, the hoses need to be replaced, if no cracks, try tightening the screw clamps with a screwdriver.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM

Is there a hole in your tank? Look for a puddle after being parked for a night. I would NOT DRIVE THAT VEHICLE until you find out what is going on, car fires are serious business. I doubt the car would run if that much gas was being dumped into the engine, so it must be leaking. Take it to your mechanic, they will be able to find the leak.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:06 AM

dont these cars have problems the gas filler neck or somehing, anyone think it could be leeking back there by the gas tank?

i dont know to much about the fuel system so maybe someone else can extend on what i am talking about
Old 04-25-2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MyBlue92Maxima
dont these cars have problems the gas filler neck or somehing, anyone think it could be leeking back there by the gas tank?

i dont know to much about the fuel system so maybe someone else can extend on what i am talking about

Since he is in Cali he should be ok. I would suggest some simple stuff like checking your airfilter to make sure it isn't too dirty, look for cracked hoses that could be leaking, do you have an exhaust leak also?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 AM

That's a lot of gas to be losing. You should see a lake of gasoline from somewhere or be driving down the road in a cloud of gas fumes. Are you sure your fuel gauge is working? Perhaps it's dropping like a rock with little gas usage. How much did it take to fill the tank when the gauge read half full?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:13 AM

if you fill it up when it is at 1/2 tank does it take like 8.5 or however many gallons? I'm just wondering if maybe you guage is broken because that is an insane amount of gas, how many miles are you from your work?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM

gas can evaporate quickly so you wouldn't necessarily have any puddling thats why you should turn the key to the on position without starting the car (for safety). the fuel pump will turn on and the lines pressurized and then look all around. there was a recall on the gas tank filler neck tube but i doubt thats it. if you dont smell gas then maybe it is the gauge
Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by KeithD
Is there a hole in your tank? Look for a puddle after being parked for a night. I would NOT DRIVE THAT VEHICLE until you find out what is going on, car fires are serious business. I doubt the car would run if that much gas was being dumped into the engine, so it must be leaking. Take it to your mechanic, they will be able to find the leak.

my car sit all night and there is nothing under my car..
Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Call dealer with your vin number and have them check for filler neck recall.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sublunary
gas can evaporate quickly so you wouldn't necessarily have any puddling thats why you should turn the key to the on position without starting the car (for safety). the fuel pump will turn on and the lines pressurized and then look all around. there was a recall on the gas tank filler neck tube but i doubt thats it. if you dont smell gas then maybe it is the gauge

I would suspect the guage, but you can check that easy (go back to the pump and fill er up again. ) Another thing listen to the above post and the let the lines gather pressure, check for leaks under the hood , and remember no smoking.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 PM

I know a sure fired way of finding a gas leak with a lit match...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 PM

well if you don't have a leak your car wins the gas guzzler award! if it takes you 8.5 or so gallons to refill after driving about 10 minutes. you either have the worst gas millage ever or someone is stealing your gas!!! try parking it in garage 1 night see if it happens again or at least you'll be in a sealed room and than you will definitely smell gas if it is leaking! if neither one of those is it you either need a TUNE UP WAY BAD or realize you don't need to keep the gas pedal floored all the time!!! but still 8.5 or so gallons a day.... DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!

you really should have your car looked BAD!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=Loco7]well if you don't have a leak your car wins the gas guzzler award! if it takes you 8.5 or so gallons to refill after driving about 10 minutes. you either have the worst gas millage ever or someone is stealing your gas!!! try parking it in garage 1 night see if it happens again or at least you'll be in a sealed room and than you will definitely smell gas if it is leaking! if neither one of those is it you either need a TUNE UP WAY BAD or realize you don't need to keep the gas pedal floored all the time!!! but still 8.5 or so gallons a day.... DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!

you really should have your car looked BAD!!![/QUOTE

i when't to the store and just start my car and someone told me that here was some smoke of the bottom of my car he said..
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Loco7
i when't to the store and just start my car and someone told me that here was some smoke of the bottom of my car he said..
------------ -------------- >>>
Better stop breathin them fumes dude
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM

------------ -------------- >>>
Better stop breathin them fumes dude

what do that mean..
Old 04-26-2006, 05:40 PM

what do that mean..
Your car has a gas leak like a super soaker squirt gun and a guy tells you that there is smoke coming out from the bottom of it while you are sitting in it and you did not take off running like Arnold Schwarzenegger when the Preditor blew himself up??? fumes must be getting to you...better give up and take it to local garage. before you get hurt dude.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:42 PM

Your car has a gas leak like a super soaker squirt gun and a guy tells you that there is smoke coming out from the bottom of it while you are sitting in it and you did not take off running like Arnold Schwarzenegger when the alien blew himself up??? fumes must be getting to you...better give up and take it to local garage. before you get hurt dude.
Ok thank for the help ..
Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 PM

yeah, sounds like your driving a timebomb...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM

either English isn't your first language and there is nothing wrong with that or the fumes REALLY got yo messed up!!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Loco7
either English isn't your first language and there is nothing wrong with that or the fumes REALLY got yo messed up!!
..........><..........
Old 04-27-2006, 06:05 PM

This is VERY bad. Sounds like you have a big leak spraying onto the exhaust system, like the catalytic converter, that's evaporating it before it can make a puddle on the ground. You probably can't see a puddle after you've stopped because it's such a big leak that the fuel pressure leaks down before the exhaust cools down. If you are not yet a flaming ball of fire, get this fixed IMMEDIATELY.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

dude, go to a car shop and get that gas leak fixed before you start the next California wildfires lol..hablas espaņol?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sounds like it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator to me. Does the car sound like it's running right at idle? I lost a FPR in another ride, went through gas in a real hurry, toasted the cat, which caused smoke from the bottom of the car, just like you described. Get it checked out right away, and don't drive it!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by chuck93se
sounds like it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator to me. Does the car sound like it's running right at idle? I lost a FPR in another ride, went through gas in a real hurry, toasted the cat, which caused smoke from the bottom of the car, just like you described. Get it checked out right away, and don't drive it!

thank for all the help you guy i am get checked out on saturday.....