3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001 | 06:46 PM

I just bought my second maxima. It is a 91 SE. When I bought it... they told me that the rack and pinion was bad. So I had that replaced. It cost me $400 but did not fix it. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and could tell me what it was.

When I'm going down the road and step on the gas the steering wheel jerks to the right and when I let off it jerks back. I only happens when it is under a load.

If any of you guys could help it would be highly appreciated. Thanks again.

Justin
Old 06-17-2001 | 07:18 PM
Get Off My Lawn

tourque steer?
Old 06-18-2001 | 03:24 AM

I'm not sure.
Old 06-18-2001 | 04:33 AM

Originally posted by ljmayfield
I just bought my second maxima. It is a 91 SE. When I bought it... they told me that the rack and pinion was bad. So I had that replaced. It cost me $400 but did not fix it. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and could tell me what it was.

When I'm going down the road and step on the gas the steering wheel jerks to the right and when I let off it jerks back. I only happens when it is under a load.

Justin
Hmmm, it seems to me alot of maximas have this problem, I had it as well. My friend with a 92 Se had it. I had to change the whole suspension to stop that jerk. But I think what stopped it was the struts and strut bar. I suggest you should try that.
Old 06-18-2001 | 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ljmayfield

Justin
Sounds like an odd problem. I am not really sure what it might be. If others have had this problem such as Maximum5spd, then maybe you should take their advice. They may be able to give you the cheap and easy solution. (If there is one )
Old 06-18-2001 | 01:53 PM

I hope so. The rack was a very exspensive trial and error. Especially scince it was an error. I'll try the struts this weekend and if you guys have any more suggestions or experinceces... send them my way.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-18-2001 | 02:10 PM
STFU n00b!

Check all your ball joints and suspension parts before you replace the struts. the struts are $130 each, so it's still not a "cheap" fix- even if that is the problem.. but whatever it is, you need to fix it whether it's $10 or $100.

but my first thoughts would be ball joints or suspension bushings. jack the car up and see if there's any "play" in the wheel when you grab the top and bottom and try to rock is back and forth.

good luck.