3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Injector R&R / Intermittent dead cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 08:15 PM

Injector R&R / Intermittent dead cylinder

My 93 VE Maxima has an intermittently dead cylinder. I switched out the plug and coil with the adjacent cylinder and it made no difference. The dead cylinder coil sparked very well. I'm assuming the injector is faulty. I pulled the injector and it looked OK, but I have no way to test it. I tore the 2 O-rings when I reinstalled it. It's the holiday weekend and the dealers are closed. Are the O-rings readily available? Where's the best place to get a replacement injector? Is there a way to test it? The car runs normally, then if it sits a couple of hours it runs on 5 cylinders. There was no debris on the injector screen when I pulled it.
thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 10:24 PM
mod or sell?

you can check the resistance on the injector (should be around 12 ohms) by measuring between the 2 terminals.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:16 AM

I know your pain. I have a bad injector on my #3 cylinder. funny thing is, after being dead for a week, it started to work when i first start the car but will stop after 15 - 20 minutes. Maybe next weekend I can get the time to replace it.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:55 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I know your pain. I have a bad injector on my #3 cylinder. funny thing is, after being dead for a week, it started to work when i first start the car but will stop after 15 - 20 minutes. Maybe next weekend I can get the time to replace it.
heheh
my old gray max had one injector fix itself. it was working intermittently like you guys are talking about, then after I got the car back from a friend of mine the injector was working full time for the rest of the time I had the car
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 AM

I may reinstall the injector if new ones are expensive and run a double dose of techron through it. Is there a source of orings and injectors that is better than the dealer?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:29 PM
mod or sell?

injectors are expensive if you don't like doing the job multiple times.

I sell injectors
Old 05-28-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ebaker
Is there a source of orings and injectors that is better than the dealer?
i take the position that any place you can get your hands on those things is a good source, even if it is the dealer. Autozone, OReilly, Rock Auto, Pep Boys and other places didn't have them in stock, they special order them.

Courtesy Nissan in Richardson will give you the internet price if you bring in the printed internet page. If you walk in and say you are a member of Maxima.org, they will give you a discount, but not as good as the internet price.

check out internetautomart.com
Old 05-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am getting a put put sound in the tailpipe and stalling coming out of gear while decelerating but i resistance checked all six and they were fine. if one or more was dirty or clogged the resistance would check out right? are injectors the only thing that causes put putting?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:52 AM
mod or sell?

if you're stalling check your coils
Old 05-29-2006, 07:05 AM

all six checked out on multimeter but front three were cracked so i taped them. the stalling only happens coming out of gear though. the idle drops close to 0 before bouncing back up and sometimes it stalls instead of coming back up.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:56 AM

just to follow up, i did diagnostic 14 (stalling while decelerating) in the fsm ef&ec section. i tried to turn the idle screw to see if idle would change and it didn't really so maual said to clean iacv and throttle bodies. i took of the whole iacv assembly and cleaned it with seafoam and put it back on and bingo its fine now. i do still have some engine issues (im going to compression check stuff) and occasional put put but i thik the injectors are just dirty. but at least no more stalling...
just wanted to follow up since its nice to found out. most of the time people have problems and you never know what it was of many suggestions that solved the problem.
cheers
luke
Old 05-30-2006, 04:34 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by sublunary
all six checked out on multimeter but front three were cracked so i taped them. the stalling only happens coming out of gear though. the idle drops close to 0 before bouncing back up and sometimes it stalls instead of coming back up.

The tape fix was only a temporary fix for my front coils...After a week or so they would start crapping out again..

I got some uncracked lower mileaged used ones from the classifieds=no more missing...